Author Topic: Maddening buzz while playing 2nd string  (Read 2129 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Maddening buzz while playing 2nd string
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
Does anyone have any advice (other than to practice more.....) on how to stop the 2nd string buzz at the 1st fret?  I push down on the string so hard my finger hurts.

I took it to the repair shop and they adjusted the frets and reset the action to factory and kind of was like - well, practice more.  But I really don't think that's entirely the problem (read: denial)  ::) .

It's really frustrating as whenever I fret the open c chord and move to another chord like an f I get this buzz and today it was so maddening I gave up   >:(  - I was playing "Jimmy Brown The Newsboy".  (doing lots of Norman Blake Carter style lately)

Yeah, I know, I should practice more but............any thoughts?  :-\

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Re: Maddening buzz while playing 2nd string
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
I had a 2010 DN5e that had a buzz @ 3rd fret on the b string.I had 2 other players try it, same results. Kinda chimey sound. I did everything I could think of, no luck.Sent it to Taylor. They adjusted everything,new nut,new saddle, factory specs. Came back(they covered shipping back) cost me a C note(used /new guitar).Chime still there. Sent it back to Taylor(they covered shipping both ways).This time they reset the neck,pulled the frets,resurfaced the fingerboard,re-fretted,new nut,new saddle,factory specs.Came back"PERFECT", no charge.I swapped it in on my 2010 GS6e. I decided I wasn't meant to own a cherryburst top Taylor.
Taylor service is Excellent. Call them.
Steve
PS   Sounds like that 1st fret might be a little low right there.
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Maddening buzz while playing 2nd string
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
Does anyone have any advice (other than to practice more.....) on how to stop the 2nd string buzz at the 1st fret?  I push down on the string so hard my finger hurts.

I took it to the repair shop and they adjusted the frets and reset the action to factory and kind of was like - well, practice more.  But I really don't think that's entirely the problem (read: denial)  ::) .

It's really frustrating as whenever I fret the open c chord and move to another chord like an f I get this buzz and today it was so maddening I gave up   >:(  - I was playing "Jimmy Brown The Newsboy".  (doing lots of Norman Blake Carter style lately)

Yeah, I know, I should practice more but............any thoughts?  :-\
hi TP,
i was wondering when the repair shop adjusted the frets, did they have to file the
fret ends, reseat any of the frets, or did they do a 'fret-dress' (level, crown & polish) ???

when the action to reset to factory specs, did they perform a neck reset, adjust
the relief in the neck or alter the saddle height (& how did it play/feel afterwards) ???

it sounds like the action at the nut could  be a little high or, if the frets
were dressed, there could have been a little too much taken off the 1st fret

i would suggest replacing the B string to see if that helps any -
i've seen this happen more often on wound strings, where the wear on the winding causes a
buzz on one string on one fret, but metal fatigue can affect all strings, so i would give that a try

hopefully the fix will be something simple

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/