Author Topic: Taylor Hard shell case -hinge issues  (Read 1286 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Taylor Hard shell case -hinge issues
« on: May 02, 2023, 07:09:49 PM »
I am a little disappointed (for the first time) in the response I received from Taylor customer service regarding an issue  I have with the hard shell case for my 2019 814. Essentially , the hinge in the lower bout of the  guitar has failed , separating from the case and causing the top to open fully rather than being restricted to opening to 110 degrees or whatever. Yeah, I get it, sounds trivial , but it is freakin annoying every time I open the case. Yep,the case is 4 years old, but I have asked nothing of it. It has never left my house and all I ask of it is to protect my guitar and keep it humidified. So, this issue is about quality , not guitar case abuse.The Taylor  CS rep basically said that there is nothing they can do… out of warrantee … contact a luggage repair shop… here is an online retailer for replacement hinges …

Maybe I am expecting too much , but I have purchased six Taylor’s in 12 years…   offer me a replacement case at cost or something … geez.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor Hard shell case -hinge issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 11:54:48 AM »
Wow, a case hinge failing, and only a 2019.  Barring lots of road use that sounds rare, and really unfortunate!  Sorry the mothership didn't step up on this one!

They already told you what I was going to iterate: a luggage shop.  But criminy, I've never even heard of one outside the mention in forums!  If you're really annoyed with the use of your case, may I suggest a quality gig bag like a Mono or Reunion Blues (or the like as there are many other good ones out there).  It sucks to spend money when you shouldn't have to, but if it's any consolation a genuinely good gig bag is far more usable and offers better protection for most conditions than a typical hsc.  Just a thought, anyway! :)

Edward