Author Topic: Reading new Music: Muscle Memory vs. Cognitive Mapping  (Read 1395 times)

BuddyO

Reading new Music: Muscle Memory vs. Cognitive Mapping
« on: December 08, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »
I'm a new player and have been learning to read using Hal Leonard's beginning guitar book.  After completing the first several lessons on strings 1-4, I realized I was ready to read/learn songs (at least melody portions vs. chord changes) which used those strings.  So I took out some sheet music to "Wonderful Tonight" and started practicing.  To my amazement, I was able to play a significant portion of it after a few days.

During the process, I discovered that when reading portions of the music that I had already become familiar with, I stopped mentally mapping notes to fingers/frets and let my fingers do the walking.  But then it would come to a halt when I got to an unfamiliar section and my brain needed to take over, but couldn't because it had lost its train of thought.

I suspect I'm not the only one who experiences this?
How do you deal with it?
My thought is that I just need to keep the brain on track and slow down a bit if I need to.
My goal is to improve my sight-reading.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
2020 Taylor AD17e

tedtan

Re: Reading new Music: Muscle Memory vs. Cognitive Mapping
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
If your goal is sight reading, then focus on reading. In other words, stay focused, don't let your mind wander.

If your goal is performance, then keep learning the song so you don't have to read it. You'll get it memorized with more practice.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
Reading music is an invaluable tool. I started learning to read music at age 9. It just takes discipline and practice, it will become more automatic as time progresses. Don't be afraid to slow down. Accuracy above speed. I've always taught reading music with all my guitar students too. Don't give up. Stay focused. You will not be sorry down the road. It opens up so much more in your music.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

plivemusic

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »
Reading music is a valuable tool in learning guitar,  but it can also be frustrating because it takes time, study, effort and practice.  There are many paths to learning guitar, and the academic way is one (learn your notes,  learn your scales, learn to read music, and so forth).  The hands-on way is to learn a simple chord progression (2-3 chords) and you're playing a song (or at least key parts of a song) in no time at all (which is very satisfying).  Both have their place for guitar students and it's really a matter of balance between textbook learning and having fun.  If you just want to learn some songs for around the house or at the campfire then learning (memorizing) chords might be a good way to go (at least initially).  On the other hand,  if you want to transpose a song to a different key or understand which strings to strike for a given chord, etc. then reading music is a must.   I bought my 1st guitar in the 1970's and just wanted to play with my buddies.  Kept building my repertoire of chords as they showed me new songs.  Then I bought songbooks and played the chords shown (I often avoided the more difficult chords, which excluded a lot of songs).  My 1st guitar lesson was a gift for my 65th birthday and my jazz pro instructor took me back to basics, reading music, playing scales, and learning some of those jazz chords that made my carpal tunnel flare up.  While I only took lessons for about 6 months, the learning serves me well to this day as I transpose songs on the fly, write a song here and there, and enjoy learning the musical nuance in songs.  It's all good!!  Have fun playing guitar !  Cheers!   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:51:54 PM by plivemusic »

BuddyO

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 03:43:57 PM »
Good points about reading music and learning chords, I'm doing both right now and have been more recently practicing open chords, G, C, D, Em, Am, and C9.  I find I need to mix the reading exercises with the chords/tabs practice in order to keep it fun.

I started out by progressing through the first 20 pages of Hal Leonard's book, which covered C, G, and D7 chords, with a focus on reading music for the first 4 strings.
I then started learning to play WonderFul Tonight, since I had already learned the melody notes and chords this song uses.  That has been the most fun for me.

Lastly, I started using my free 3 month subscription to Fender Play.  The approach there is more focused on finger exercises and chords/tabs.
I'm up to Level 2 which recently introduced pivoting between a 4 fingered G and a C9.  I'm having the most fun with this one as I can hear my progress each day, getting better with chord changes.
2020 Taylor AD17e