Author Topic: Tuning with capo on  (Read 4079 times)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Tuning with capo on
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
 Sometimes I like to tune a half step or a whole step down and then use a capo. I usually tune the guitar where I want it and then put the capo on the first or second fret. But would it be harmful to the guitar to put the capo on and then tune it?

Ciarre

Re: Tuning with capo on
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
Others may know better, but I can't think of a reason why tuning with a capo on would have any negative effect. When I use a capo, quite often one or more of the strings goes a little sharp or flat and I just tune them to pitch. Of course, I have to retune when I take off the capo. To date, no deleterious outcome.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Others may know better, but I can't think of a reason why tuning with a capo on would have any negative effect. When I use a capo, quite often one or more of the strings goes a little sharp or flat and I just tune them to pitch. Of course, I have to retune when I take off the capo. To date, no deleterious outcome.

Thanks Ciarre and nice to meet you!  I was wondering how you like your Big Baby...it's a very comfortable size for me and have thought about getting one.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:25:28 AM »
One of my favourite artists is a guy called Martin Simpson, he's a very accomplished guitar player and plays some beautiful instruments. I've seen him a few times live, he frequently tunes with a capo on the guitar. So I don't think it will harm the guitar in anyway.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

MikeB

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
If your Taylor is well-set up and strings are in good shape, then tune your guitar in the standard open way, and put the capo on and it should still be in tune (or close).  Likewise, if you tune with the capo in place, when you move it or take it off you should still be in tune.

Ciarre

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »
Hi Lizzy,
Nice meeting you as well.
The Big Baby is a winner in every way, except the 1 11/16 nut is a little narrow for me. It was the first really decent guitar I ever bought, nut size meant nothing to me then, and apparently still does not since I bought a GS mini. The Big Baby has a very good sound and it sounded better to me than a couple of 4xx I tried when shopping. I've heard some better ones since, but those two were all they had at the time.
I'd have to say the GS mini has a little better tone, (most likely due to the strings, I need to put warmer ones on the BB) but I still play and enjoy it.
I think you'd like one if you tried one.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
Sometimes I like to tune a half step or a whole step down and then use a capo. I usually tune the guitar where I want it and then put the capo on the first or second fret. But would it be harmful to the guitar to put the capo on and then tune it?

It never occurred to me that one could even do such a thing, but I guess from the other replies that it's possible.  I would have thought the capo would resist the stretching (or slackening) of the string...?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't see any harmfulness in tuning with your capo on. I often do so, particularly when I play with the capo higher on the neck. It gives me the certainty that the guitar is well tuned when I start my song. There is just no other way. I never had a Taylor that was not somewhat sharp higer up the neck! Technically it is hardly (or even im)possible to build a guitar that is in tune everywhere.
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
I believe the G7 line of capos actually advertises that one can tune with the capo in place.  I'm not sure what effect capoing has on string tension, if any, and would love to know if one of our cadre of wise guys and gals has the answer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Presuming the capo is sitting just barely aft of the fret so as not pulling the strings sharp, I see no reason at all why tuning with the capo on would cause any issues.  At least I've never experienced anything weird doing so...

Edward

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:47 PM »
The ask for these replies. I think I will tune with the capo left I place with confidence!

Ciarre...I find it interesting you believe your Mini sounds better than your Big Baby. I have never A/B'd them but I will!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »
No way it would be harmful, but I could see having a too tight capo would affect tuning stability after the change as the string tension normalized.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
No way it would be harmful, but I could see having a too tight capo would affect tuning stability after the change as the string tension normalized.
Well geeze, how do you know if your capo is too tight?

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
I have one guitar that lives tuned down one whole step, D-D.  That makes certain songs much easier for my voice range, and that guitar also loves the lower pitch.  But to play well with others, I have to use a capo on the second fret.  When tightening strings to pitch, the extra friction does not matter.  But if you loosen a string, go below pitch, give the string a little tug to take out any residual play, and tune back up.  (Actually this is good procedure with or without a capo).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
I have one guitar that lives tuned down one whole step, D-D.  That makes certain songs much easier for my voice range, and that guitar also loves the lower pitch.  But to play well with others, I have to use a capo on the second fret.  When tightening strings to pitch, the extra friction does not matter.  But if you loosen a string, go below pitch, give the string a little tug to take out any residual play, and tune back up.  (Actually this is good procedure with or without a capo).
Thanks for the tip, Earl!