Author Topic: Who knew?  (Read 3990 times)

tbeltrans

Who knew?
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:56:57 AM »
...that Andy Powers is a bona fide guitar player?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HGsYMx5lXPc

Somebody over at AGF posted this.  It explains a lot.  If a builder is also a player, s/he will really understand what it takes to make a guitar feel and sound just right to the player, sort of like actually living by what one claims or "walking the talk".  To me, the end result of such a builder will be superior to those who claim "I don't play, I just build them".

Tony

packy

Re: Who knew?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
Thanks for posting.  Impressive!

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
I knew.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 06:23:17 PM »
I knew too.
Taylor is lucky to have Andy. We all get to benefit from his work and I love to hear him play. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:40:33 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
I knew. There have been some great luthier/players over the years. The late, great Jimmy D'Aquisto comes to mind. Besides being a lightening-fast, yet tasteful jazz player, Jimmy built some fabulous guitars. No slouch when it came to repair work either. I once had the pleasure of meeting him when he did an excellent re-fret job on my old Gibson Hummingbird years ago.

Having said that, there are many great luthier/builders out there whose guitars are chosen over others, because they fit each player's unique needs - what they want to hear, how the guitar plays or even how it looks. I think that Andy's a great builder, but his build style is not for everyone, just as Bob's build style was not for everyone.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

tbeltrans

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:55:35 PM »
I agree that any single builder's style is not for everyone, and hope I didn't give the opposite impression.  Sometimes I feel as if I would have to write a book length post to clearly cover everything I touch on well enough to be clear.  But, then, I see that as being a more common problem than with just me.  You can really see it in the "Open Mic" section of AGF. :)

What I am saying is that being a guitar player himself, Andy Powers has first-hand knowledge and sense of what a player's guitar will be.  For me personally, I find these Taylors to be much easier to play than most any other acoustic I have played, and this seems to be consistent across all the (especially most recent) Taylors I have played.  Even those who choose other guitars over Taylor will say that one thing they like about Taylors is how easy they are on the hands.

Everybody has different priorities when choosing a guitar.  For many, according to what I have read over at AGF, sound is paramount.  I am sure I could find other makers whose guitars might sound better to my ears than a Taylor, though I am *NOT* saying there is anything wrong with the Taylor sound -  I like it a lot.  However, I think I would be hard pressed to find a guitar that is as easy on the hands right out of the box as a Taylor.  For me, especially as I get older, this is a very important thing, and is quickly becoming my highest priority.  Another aspect of Taylor guitars that works in concert with the fretboard/neck shaping is the body shape.  With the GA body shape, we don't have to compromise sound with a smaller body size, and yet that body is quite comfortable to hold and play.

These are guitars that are produced in relatively large numbers (compared to small shop boutique instruments), yet they have aspects one might normally expect in a guitar custom built for a specific owner.  I have owned enough of these over the years (Collings, SCGC, etc), so I am basing my statements on my own experience and observations.  I really believe (and could well be very wrong...) that Andy Powers, as a player, understands this, though I realize he didn't define the standard Taylor body sizes and shapes.  He has done a lot to maximize what was already there when he started with Taylor, and made "good" even "better".

As a bit of background, I am a late comer to the Taylor line of guitars.  I have long been aware of them, but seemed to end up with some typically more expensive small shop brands.  I did own a 1997 Taylor 912c a few months ago, but did not bond with it.  I decided to try some of the new Andy Powers era Taylors, despite reading often enough that the mid 90s were supposed to be Taylor's "golden years".  I guess I didn't find those Taylors particularly compelling for me personally, either that 912c or others I had tried from time to time.  However, the new crop of Taylors are (to me) extremely high quality and much improved even in terms of the playability that Taylor is known for.  Clearly, many here who have been Taylor owners for some time will know much about Taylor as a company and the guitars themselves than I do.  So it may well be that what is a revelation to me is common knowledge to everybody else here. 

Obviously, as with any guitar one size does not fit all, and there are those who would choose the older Taylors over the new models.  So I suppose I can say that Taylor is now building the kind of instrument that I would purchase, and therefore have purchased.  Maybe it is just that if Andy Taylor was a run-of-the-mill guitar consumer like me, we would likely choose very similar guitars, because what he seems to think a guitar should be, more closely matches what I think a guitar should be than anything I have played in recent history.  I like the way he plays, and he seems to do similar things fingerstyle that I do, so if a Taylor is a good fit for him, it likely would be for me too.

Tony

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:14:53 PM by tbeltrans »

tbeltrans

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
I don't know what happened, but I somehow ended completely qouting my previous post, so please ignore this one.

Tony

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:20:30 PM by tbeltrans »

VTexan

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
In short, Taylors REALLY don't suck.
2018 Taylor GS Mini
2016 Taylor 214ce-N
2012 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

tbeltrans

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »
In short, Taylors REALLY don't suck.

Well, true, but...?

Tony

VTexan

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »
I don't think there's a but. They're just really great guit-boxes.
2018 Taylor GS Mini
2016 Taylor 214ce-N
2012 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
It explains a lot.  If a builder is also a player, s/he will really understand what it takes to make a guitar feel and sound just right to the player, sort of like actually living by what one claims or "walking the talk".  To me, the end result of such a builder will be superior to those who claim "I don't play, I just build them".

Tony

I dunno. George Lowden really isn't a player. Dermot McIlroy is. I think that says...nothing.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

tbeltrans

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
I don't think there's a but. They're just really great guit-boxes.

I agree with that.

Tony

tbeltrans

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:42:26 AM by tbeltrans »

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
It's no accident that Powers was selected to guide Taylor Guitars AND is a great guitar player. Being a really good guitarist was one of the items that Bob Taylor wanted for his successor. Around the time that Powers joined the company, I saw him speak. He recounted that Bob Taylor was encouraged to go see him perform, and the rest is history...

Bob called it his “dear god” letter, in which he wrote out a list of qualities such a person would have. As Taylor recounts, it went something like this: “I need a guitar maker who’s a better builder than I am, a pro player, is self taught, has 20 years of experience, is in his 30s, and can make a lifetime commitment.” A wishful list for sure, and one that Bob says he put away for a year or so until a chain of events led him to spending an afternoon with an extraordinarily talented builder and guitarist in the San Diego area named Andy Powers.

Coincidentally, it wasn’t the first time the two had met. Years earlier, at an acoustic concert in San Diego, a then 15-year-old Powers showed Taylor a ukulele he had built. Impressed by its quality, Taylor told Powers to look him up if he ever needed a job. That didn’t happen, but approximately 20 years later Andy was playing at the NAMM Show with Jason Mraz when he had the opportunity to reintroduce himself to Bob and recount the story of their previous meeting.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:12:41 AM by jrporter »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Again, I 'm  glad to own both older and newer Taylors, after having owned Lowden, Santa Cruz, along with Martin, Gibson, Guild, Ovation, Takamine and Larrivee among others. The variety I now enjoy with my Taylor GAs is due to age, shape, bracing and wood choices. So after all that searching, I am a big Taylor fan who can still appreciate other brands with the quality they offer. But my approach has resulted in the guitar getting out of the way of my performance. No matter which one I pick up, the adjustment is virtually non-existent.

In any case, we are experiencing a Renaissance of  guitar building these days with something for everyone.  Just look at Bourgeois, Collings and Santa Cruz as fine examples of 21st century craftsmanship. Isn't it great?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:00:32 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood