Author Topic: Anyway looking for a 2015 612ce?  (Read 6768 times)

Maximus

Re: Anyway looking for a 2015 612ce?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »
Well, I paid off the guitar and brought it home last night (Honestly, who needs TWO kidneys?)  I only had about an hour or so to play it as I had other engagements to attend to last night.

In short, it was everything I remembered. It is well balanced from high to lows, without the scoop of rosewood, and event though there is still a lot of fullness and body to the sound, there is still a chime to the tone that is always present, ALMOST like a 12 string, but not nearly as pronounced.

One of the things that I had neglected to do at the store, is to try and drop the entire guitar a half step into Eb and see how it behaves.  Again, it blew me away. It lost NOTHING in the sound. Dropping it down another half-step to D was a very interesting, yet positive experience. The low bass strings started to get a bit floppy as is common on many guitars dropped a full step, however, they still rang. The slop was in the feel of the stings,but not in the sound of the strings. I found this to be quite a pleasant surprise!

I am a beginner finger-style player and found the GC shape to be very comfortable to play. 

I am still putting it through its paces. I have yet to plug it in, but so far, it has lived up to my expectations and is a complete joy to play.

Count me in as an official fan of the new 600 series and GC body size!

2018 Taylor 814ce Deluxe V-Class
2014 Taylor Custom GC
 - Adirondack Premium Spruce/Premium Select Cocobolo
2014 Taylor 150e
2013 Taylor GS Mini 'Hog

-----------------
2014 Taylor Holden Village GS Mini - DOB

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Congratulations Maximus!  ;D  Sounds like you found a winner.  I will have to give one a test drive sometime.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
Yep, continues to surprise many who thought this would just be a better maple guitar......
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Veloz

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
Maximus
I'm right there beside ya! My new 612ce First Edition just arrived last night and I've about played the flesh right off my fingers comparing it to my 2014 812ce.

It is a tough comparison, as the 812 has been played daily for six months and has developed some really lovely chime and lushness.

But I agree with you that the 612 is more evenly toned - no "blurry" spot in the middle-- and the bass on the 612 really makes me smile - it remains present and deep without decaying too quickly but without being overwhelming either. One of the major reasons I've strayed from the 812 (and am looking at the 612) is that to my ears, the bass on the 812 seems to "disppear" too easily, especially when fretted (less so when played open).

The treble on the 612 is still noticeably brighter than the 812, but it is not harsh, nor nasaly, nor too zingy, just more "twinkly" if you will. To my ears this is a nice counterpart to that full and somewhat growly bass.

I was playing Malaguena (fingerstyle) back and forth between the two. On the 812 I thought it sounded mostly sweet and lovely. But then when I played it on th 612, I couldn't help but smile. That bass and the twinkling highs just added so much interest and character to the piece. I played it over and over on the 612 just to keep impressing myself, lol.

I have played both plugged in to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. Both sound really good, but they seem to amplify differently somehow. I think I would give a slight edge to the 812 in this area. Not sure why there's a difference. I had both guitars set to their mid point. I'm sure with tweaking the dials you could make either sound great, and/or better than the other. So I'd say this is a toss up and both are nice amplified.

Visually I like the looks of the 612 better, although I've always thought the 812 was really a gorgeous design. The ebony binding really makes the top and rosette pop,  and I prefer the ivroid inlays on the fretboard over the mother of pearl.

In the end my decision will be mostly ...emotional, or subjective, for lack of a better word. I can't say one of the guitars is objetively better than the other - they are both awesome instruments. All I can say is that when I play the 612 I catch myself smiling more often. That says a lot!

Keep us informed how your progress goes..
Michael
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:34:33 PM by Veloz »

Maximus

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 01:23:22 AM »
Right on!  I agree with everything you say, as it matches my experience as well.

I am comparing the 612ce-FE to my 2013 814ce, and to be honest, I was amazed at how close Andy Powers was able to get maple to sound like rosewood. Don't get me wrong, there are still subtle differences (maple lacks the "scoop" in the mid range) but the tone was much closer to that of rosewood than I ever anticipated. AP said that he designed the new 600 series to appeal to people who don't like maple guitars. I think he succeeded brilliantly (the the dismay of the "traditional" maple purists ;0)

and the bass on the 612 really makes me smile - it remains present and deep without decaying too quickly but without being overwhelming either.
  YES! The bass is "present" It is  Well-balanced, without being woofy and it is DELICIOUS!  Still loving this guitar. 

Also, for me it is my first time with a x12 Grand Concert body shape. I am quickly becoming a huge fan. :) 
2018 Taylor 814ce Deluxe V-Class
2014 Taylor Custom GC
 - Adirondack Premium Spruce/Premium Select Cocobolo
2014 Taylor 150e
2013 Taylor GS Mini 'Hog

-----------------
2014 Taylor Holden Village GS Mini - DOB