Author Topic: New Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Arrives in the UK  (Read 5117 times)

Rod Neep

New Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Arrives in the UK
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
In my home actually.
It arrived here this morning.

First impressions:

I expected the koa wood to be relatively "plain" on a budget instrument such as this. It isn't! There is a lot of curly flame and chatoyance, where the whole thing moves like a hologram as you turn it against the light. Lots of characterful dark streaks in the grain too. I really like it.

I am used to playing guitars with a 1-3/4" neck these days, so I was interested to see how I would adapt to the 1-11/16" nut width. After a couple minutes my fingers/brain adapted nicely. Strangely, it was the right hand that took a little more concentration as the string spacing is narrower, and my fingerpicking thumb missed a few times, but that was quickly overcome.

I was surprised at the feel of the neck. It is thicker (from the face of the fingerboard to the back of the neck) than my other Taylor and my Martins, which gave it an "old style" feel, not unlike my 1960s D-18. Quite beefy in fact, but with a good feeling profile.

Tone: Now I confess to liking my guitars to have a tone tending towards the mellow end of the spectrum. This is something that one doesn't expect from a budget guitar and not from a small box such as the GS Mini. But I was more than pleasantly surprised. There was a little boxyness and brittleness to the sound on the wound strings, but I could hear the potential. Certainly the best small guitar sound that I have ever heard in my 50 plus years of playing. I wonder if.... and so I changed the bridge pins from the plastic ones to ebony. That made a huge difference. Very noticeably indeed. That works with the koa top beautifully. More mellow and fatter.

Sustain: This was something that I really didn't expect. It came as a big surprise! The 2014 GS Mini-e Koa guitar has sustain that rings on for ages. I particularly like that when playing slower fingerstyle tunes, where the notes "fill in" the chords as you continue to play.

Power: The GS Mini comes with medium gauge strings. I usually use lights on my guitars, but the shorter scale makes them feel lighter under the fretting fingers.... and it produces lots of power when you ask it to. Volume in spades full.

The ES Pickup: I played for a little while with the guitar plugged in. No worries or concerns at all. Adding a little reverb at the amp was needed to reproduce the acoustic sound. A little touch on the EQ or on the onboard controls was needed, for my ear and what I want to hear. Increasing the bass a little and backing off the trebles a little. But that's just me, as I prefer "mellow" rather than harsh in your face.

Back to playing  ;)

Rod
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:48:55 PM by Rod Neep »

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: New Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Arrives in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
Thanks Rod, she's a beaut!  Enjoy your playing!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »
Very pretty! This guitar is awesome, as we say here in America. My comments in bold below.

First impressions:

I expected the koa wood to be relatively "plain" on a budget instrument such as this. It isn't! There is a lot of curly flame and chatoyance, where the whole thing moves like a hologram as you turn it against the light. Lots of characterful dark streaks in the grain too. I really like it.

Chatoyance! I just call it 3D effect, but I plan to use this term more often. And yes, the wood grain quality is surprisingly high!

I wonder if.... and so I changed the bridge pins from the plastic ones to ebony. That made a huge difference. Very noticeably indeed. That works with the koa top beautifully. More mellow and fatter.

Yeah, I plan to do that very soon, when my set of Tusq pins come in. Those plastic pins gotta go, the only downside to an otherwise great guitar. I did the same thing with my 150e.

Sustain: This was something that I really didn't expect. It came as a big surprise! The 2014 GS Mini-e Koa guitar has sustain that rings on for ages. I particularly like that when playing slower fingerstyle tunes, where the notes "fill in" the chords as you continue to play.

It may have some, but that's primarily your ebony bridge pins you're hearing. My 150e rang forever once I replaced the plastic with Tusq pins.

Power: The GS Mini comes with medium gauge strings. I usually use lights on my guitars, but the shorter scale makes them feel lighter under the fretting fingers.... and it produces lots of power when you ask it to. Volume in spades full.

Yes, meant to be played with mediums because of the shorter scale. The tone and playability would suffer with lights.

Congrats again!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:00:13 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Good review. Enjoy your beautiful mini.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Rod Neep

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
A pretty quick and dirty recording.
Recorded with a Yamaha "Pocketrack 2G" little handheld recorder at about 18" from the guitar. No effects added. Just a straight recording.

Various styles of playing so that you can get an idea of its versatility:
fingerpicking (Darcy Farrow)
slow fingerstyle (Amazing Grace)
Flatpicking
Strumming

Certainly sounds better, (and more representative of the real sound) through earphones of course.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34989518/taylor-gsminikoa-fltd.WAV

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Very, very nice!  Guitar sounds great and your playing does too!

scusu

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks for making the effort to do the demo; great job!
Steve

2014 K26e
2013 Taylor BTO GA EIR/SIT
1980 Sigma DR-28
Fishman Loudbox Mini

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:12 AM »
 Hi Rod. Congrats on your Mini koa. I grabbed my headphones, but the link didn't work for me. Looked like alien code or something similar. I'll take your word since the review was so good. :) Enjoy.

The link worked on my PlayBook. Did I detect a television playing in the background? Bravo. Nice playing. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:16:09 AM by CodeBlueEMT »
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Rod Neep

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:52:40 AM »
Yes... wife in the next room with the TV on. And also the dog snuffling around the room.
I did say that the recording was quick and dirty  :)

Cheers
Rod

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »
Very nice playing Rod! Sounds great and as others have said, this review will be very helpful for others considering the guitar. (and to create G.A.S. for those not)  ::) If anyone is asking if the cost is worth it compared to the alternatives, the answer is yes!!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Wow, what a beauty! Congratulations! :)
Cindy