Author Topic: Launch Sequence Re- Activated - NGD: MISSION FAILURE  (Read 12692 times)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: Launch Sequence Re- Activated - NGD: MISSION FAILURE
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »
The worst part is all the terrible guitars in your stable that you'll have to keep playing in lieu of this one.  I mean, your list of GA's, I bet they all sound horrible.  Depressing, really.

Kidding! LOL!

On a side note, I am very interested in how your 514 with engleman top sounds.  You wouldn't have any clips I could listen to of this one, do you?  (I have a 514 cedar top that sounds outrageous, but I recently heard a rosewood with engleman that I was amazed with and would like to hear the tone of your hog with engleman if you have the recording.)
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
I am very interested in how your 514 with engleman top sounds.  You wouldn't have any clips I could listen to of this one, do you?  (I have a 514 cedar top that sounds outrageous, but I recently heard a rosewood with engleman that I was amazed with and would like to hear the tone of your hog with engleman if you have the recording.)

My 514 actually has a European spruce top, and the guitar has plenty of clarity, bass and sweetness that rounds out its characteristic midrange response. I did own a 514 with an Engelmann top, which I traded in for this one. It was a beautiful example of what Taylor can do with this wood combination. I do not have a recording handy, but I will tell you that Engelmann provides that perfect balance between cedar and Sitka, possessing the best qualities of each.

The 514 I did own was traded in for my current 514, but it was a close call. That 2001 514 is still for sale at Martin Music for a very decent price. If I had to name its major drawback, it would be that it had the Fishman barn door opening (which I later upgraded to an ES1.3, along with a complete refresh package at Taylor in 2010). Here's the link in case you're interested.

http://www.martinmusicguitar.com/store/acoustic-guitars/taylor/used-2001-taylor-514ce-engelmann-spruce-mahogany-mahogany-burst-9106.html
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
That's really interesting how they resolved where to put the knobs for the new ES, right in the barn door!  Amazing.

D
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
That's really interesting how they resolved where to put the knobs for the new ES, right in the barn door!  Amazing.

D

Yeah, it's actually got a lower profile than the Fishman as well, so it looks less obtrusive. By the way, that honeyburst finish looks less brassy in person than in the photos. I should  mention that this same shop also has a brand new 2013 FLTD (like mine- European spruce/figured mahogany) for sale that's also worth your consideration. Have fun!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood