Poll

Regardless of brand, why have you chosen to be a multiple guitar owner? I own different/multiple guitars, because...

I need/want different, varying sounds.
48 (23.9%)
I play different styles and types of music.
33 (16.4%)
I love the beauty of guitars and admiring them.
52 (25.9%)
If I don't spend my money on guitars, my significant other will spend it on something else.
3 (1.5%)
I'm spending my child's/children's inheritance (they can earn their own money).
3 (1.5%)
I have Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) and I need some serious help.
12 (6%)
I have so much money (or came into some money), might as well spend it on guitars.
2 (1%)
It's my only/favorite hobby and this is where I want to spend my money.
26 (12.9%)
New models keep coming out and I just have to have them.
5 (2.5%)
I enjoy the process of buying and selling guitars, so my collection is always changing.
7 (3.5%)
I'm trying to keep up with (compete with) someone I know.
0 (0%)
I have no clue what I'm doing.....hey, where did all these guitars come from?!?!
10 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Why Do You Own Multiple Guitars?  (Read 6729 times)

dr461

Re: Why Do You Own Multiple Guitars?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
I like different sounds--although honestly, Taylor has such product consistency that most of the Taylors sound the same to me, and I am a performing pro.  There are minor differences between the sound from that back and sides, but the top represents about 80% of the tone quality.   It is very entertaining to have multiple instruments with different character---the size of the guitar makes more sound difference than the tone wood--e.g.  A dreadnought is much fuller in low bass than a concert body.

My two Taylors have rather similar character, and they are both Grand Auditoriums.  I am going to get the mimi, just to have something different in a Taylor milieu.

FDHog

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
I've taken a new look at life after tackling early stage 1 breast cancer in January of this year. My conservative nature has given way now to an attitude where you have to be set for your future, but you also have to enjoy life!

That's my outlook exactly. I'm a retired FDNY Lt and was at the WTC on 9/11. After that experience, my outlook on life completely changed.
Guitars, Harleys, and fishing make me happy. Happy is a good thing!
814CE
414CE
516CE
1959 Les Paul Reissue
1960 Les Paul Reissue
2 Modified Stratocasters
and a few others

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
That's my outlook exactly. I'm a retired FDNY Lt and was at the WTC on 9/11. After that experience, my outlook on life completely changed.
Guitars, Harleys, and fishing make me happy. Happy is a good thing!
Thank you to you and all those there that day who risked your/their life to save so many. I can only imagine how that changed you. I know it had to change who you are. I was telling my husband today that my experience changed who I am. Sometimes Ir's hard to explain.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
 I checked half of the offerings. I own multiple guitars because I can. It's that simple with me. The six boxes I chose vary at times, but remain a constant method to my madness.

Susie and FDHog, thanks for sharing your personal experiences. Happy is a good thing. Enjoy. :)

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

FDHog

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »
Code Blue…Like your choice in Electrics.
814CE
414CE
516CE
1959 Les Paul Reissue
1960 Les Paul Reissue
2 Modified Stratocasters
and a few others

jmg257

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
I found that I like having more then 1 of a type on hand minimum - like at least 2 acoustics, at least 2 electrics. There is something about being able to switch up to keep things interesting, and to compare, that I enjoy. It can get "worse" though - when I was into learning flatpicking, I found having 2 nice dreads to swap between pretty cool, but then eventually I missed other types for other styles and situations.

Now I settled in so that when I end up with something that is fairly redundant (say 2 dreads, or getting a mahogany/cedar 514 and having a GPCPA2) then I feel OK about trading 'the lesser' in for something different (say the hog GPC for a RW OM-21).

deepermagic

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
I couldn't really find an adequate box to check (so i picked I have no clue ;D)

But the reason I have multiple guitars might be because of growth and/or necessity. I learned how to play on my mom's Ovation. I really really wanted an electric guitar. My folks got me one when I was probably 11ish but I kept going back to my mom's acoustic. So a few years later they bought me a used drednought Takamine something or other. No electronics on board so when i started playing at the church I bought a little pickup to cradle the soundhole. After about 6 or 7 years with that guitar and my increasing frustration with not having electronics on board, I purchased an Epiphone EJ-160E (the John Lennon replica). That guitar was used week in and week out (as I led weekly worship services) for nearly 10 years. In that time I grew in skill and in understanding of the guitar and was wanting to take it to the next level. Also I was beginning to really dip into songwriting and doing some hodgepodge performances. As dependable as my Epiphone was (is!) I knew I needed (ok, wanted) a guitar that took sound, playability, dependability, etc to the next level. Taylor was the answer and I purchased my 316ce last year.

So my multiple guitars track my growth and are watermarks or stepping stones in my music life. I would love to splurge and own like 12 guitars, but I don't have that luxury, and frankly I'm content. If anything, my multiple guitars tell me that I don't need 12 different guitars however much I'd want them. I still own all of the guitars. I haven't played the electric since I was probably a teenager. I haven't played the Takamine in probably 10 years. My Epiphone is now my "travel" "campfire" guitar. She goes where my Taylor fears to tred. It also serves as my backup guitar at performances. My hope is that one day I'll be able to hand these guitars down to my kids. That's why I keep them at least.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
I only ever play two of my guitars (the GA-Ke and the GS Mini), but I just can't bear to part with two Yamaha guitars.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

mavr

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Well, I guess we are all driven by this simple math formula:

X = N + 1

where:

X - number of guitars I need
N - number of guitars I own now

8)  8)  8)

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
The question itself is a real good one. Sometimes it's just discovery as you go along. I've learned so much about tone woods, body shapes and bracing that there's been an evolution. I flat pick, I finger pick, I play soft, I play loud, I play plugged, I play unplugged. I've discovered that while there are good all-around guitars out there I crave the uniqueness of character for each of these playing styles. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Taylor fan-boy but I'm actually considering a Martin EC model because it's just so bluesy (and I found an awesome guitar tech in my area!).

Paul   

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
The question itself is a real good one. Sometimes it's just discovery as you go along. I've learned so much about tone woods, body shapes and bracing that there's been an evolution. I flat pick, I finger pick, I play soft, I play loud, I play plugged, I play unplugged. I've discovered that while there are good all-around guitars out there I crave the uniqueness of character for each of these playing styles. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Taylor fan-boy but I'm actually considering a Martin EC model because it's just so bluesy (and I found an awesome guitar tech in my area!).

Paul

I used to own an EC - one of the best-sounding rosewood guitars I've ever played (and I'm not a rosewood fan). I couldn't get used to the V-shaped neck, but it is still an excellent guitar...sorry for enabling your illness, but then I'm a bit ill myself!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

dr461

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
The EC model is a great guitar for sure.  It is definitely overpriced, due to its pedigree with the signature, but a great sounding and playing guitar in its own right.  I could not get used to the deep V neck either--I like more gradual sloped necks.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 12:10:37 AM »
Of my 13, 6 were special "needs": classical, 12-string, electric, true vintage guitar(1930), baritone, and travel. #7 a gift. #8 a raffle winner. #9 my 1970 guitar that I just can't part with after 45 years, #10-11 stupid ebay purchases, #12-13 quests for my "it" guitar (7 and 8 are really "it").
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »

Paul

I recently purchased a used 2013 Martin 000-28EC and love it. I'll be nice and not hijack this thread. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Frances50

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
I started this as a hobby that I can take into retirement.  All of the guitars I bought are all very different from each other.  Each has a unique sound and it depends on what I want to play as to what guitar I will pick up.  I'm now done with adding to my collection as I have run out of space and disposable money.  The Taylor 12-string and the Olson are my last guitars.  Five of the seven are in their own humidified cabinet.  The Les Paul and the Strat are on nice guitar stands for display and easy playing.  But it's kinda like asking the questions, "why do you have more than one child or more than one dog." 
Frances

Taylor PS56ce 12-string acoustic
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson Doves in Flight (2013)
Gibson ES-335 Dot Natural
Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium (Koa)
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
Olson 2012 SJ
Epiphone Tommy Thayer Spaceman Les Paul (autographed)