Author Topic: GS Mini Bridge Pin Replacement  (Read 6839 times)

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
GS Mini Bridge Pin Replacement
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
There have been a few posts recently where bridge pins have come up in the comments, so I thought I'd just share my recent experience.

Yesterday I changed the nasty plastic bridge pins on my Mini Koa for a nice set of Ebony ones.  The pins I used were the standard Taylor replacement bridge pins that you can find online on the Taylor store, or in my case from a local store who sells original Taylor parts.  This is a cheap upgrade - replacement parts only cost the same as a few beers...

For information, these pins can be found all over the place, and there is nearly always a 'disclaimer' stating that the pins are good for the 300 series and up.  Well they are perfect for the Mini, fitting snugly in the bridge holes, and the pin heads, though fractionally larger than the plastic ones, sit perfectly on the bridge.

My pin change was primarily to improve the aesthetics on my Mini - the shiny plastic pins stick out like a sore thumb, whereas the ebony ones compliment the look of the bridge area. Actually I'm quite surprised that Taylor ships the Mini with plastic bridge pins - the difference in cost between plastic and ebony is negligible, whereas the aesthetic improvement with the ebony pins is significant.

As for musicality, I'm informed that this upgrade will improve the sustain of the guitar.  To be honest, I didn't notice any difference, but then I didn't pay too much attention to the way the guitar sounded before the upgrade.  So I'll defer to the opinions of those who've researched it more than I have...

Anyway, here's a before and after photo.  As usual, apologies for my photographic technique - this time I've managed to hi-light the fact that I didn't clean the bridge area before replacing the bridge pins :-)

Before - those nasty black plastic pins...

And after - with the lovely Ebony pins...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: GS Mini Bridge Pin Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »
Much, much better.... really adds elegance to the look. Nice job!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:30:37 AM »
I replaced mine too, with the ebony pins, with no problem. Except, I got the ones with the abalone dots. It sure dresses it up. I didn't notice much of a difference in tone, etc., but maybe I missed it. Looking good George!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
I replaced mine too, with the ebony pins, with no problem. Except, I got the ones with the abalone dots. It sure dresses it up. I didn't notice much of a difference in tone, etc., but maybe I missed it. Looking good George!

The Koa Mini is pretty plain in style and I wanted to preserve that look, so I decided against the abalone dots. But you're right - that little detail can really lift a guitar...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »

The Koa Mini is pretty plain in style and I wanted to preserve that look, so I decided against the abalone dots. But you're right - that little detail can really lift a guitar...
The ebony pins, with or without the dots, are a nice touch.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:15 PM »
Nice upgrade with the ebony pins. I might have a go with that change from plastic to ebony also.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

JohnBrain

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
First post here and I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I just got my first Taylor. A beautiful Koa GSM.

I'm interested in replacing the pins but I've read mixed. there are many posts saying the Taylor pins don't fit properly as the designed for bigger models. a phone call to Taylor affirmed this. supposedly Martin pins for perfect.

Can you share your experience? I'd love to upgrade.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
George, I've already complimented your choice a few posts back, but I neglected to tell you how much I like the marbled ebony of your bridge as well. Very cool!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
I have replaced the pins on a couple of mine with dyed bone pins so when I got my GS Mini, I just used one of my old ebony sets on it. I never realised there was a difference, I've certainly not noticed any problems.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
First post here and I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I just got my first Taylor. A beautiful Koa GSM.

I'm interested in replacing the pins but I've read mixed. there are many posts saying the Taylor pins don't fit properly as the designed for bigger models. a phone call to Taylor affirmed this. supposedly Martin pins for perfect.

Can you share your experience? I'd love to upgrade.

I had an old set of Martin Ebony pins I'd bought for a Yamaha, they didn't fit the Yamaha, but did fit my GSM perfectly.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.