Author Topic: List vs. Street Price  (Read 5709 times)

fretted

List vs. Street Price
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
This is a question which applies to other industries as well, but is of the essence with the sale of musical instruments. Why, now that virtually every customer knows that the list price is not real and that most even know the standard calculated discount from list price, do we persist in the dance? It once was valuable when instruments were sold by mom and pop storefronts with their own overhead and relationship with cost vs. price, but now with the transparency of the current times, it would seem anachronistic. Not to mention all the rules with which the companies control their dealers as to MAP and required inventory.
1993(?) 410 Special Edition (Rosewood/cut-away)
1995 412
1997 810
1998 Mahogany Baby
2000 714
2010 DN3
2013 Mini Mahogany
2014 522 12 fret
About two dozen other brands of guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, banjos and Venezuelan Cuatros, not to mention the flutes, pennywhistles and the piano.

deepermagic

Re: List vs. Street Price
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
I don't know the nuts and bolts of how this stuff works but I'd be interested to listen in on some knowledgeable folks on this.

When I was looking to buy my guitar I almost exclusively figured I would buy online because (I figured) it would be a lower price. But when I began to search I noticed that online, online "discount" sites, big box stores (Guitar Center), and the local mom & pop store, all had my guitar for the exact same price. That is a completely different experience than, say, buying books (online vs. big box vs. mom & pop). And I always wondered why.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
This will be a very difficult subject to discuss here given the "no pricing discussion" policy here on UTGF.

You may want to use one of the other forum to raise this up for discussion.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
Without getting into exact numbers and incurring the wrath of the moderators, my experience has been that there is the list price (set by Taylor), the advertised price (which all Taylor dealers, including the 'big guys' like Guitar Center publish), and the negotiated 'out-the-door' price.  The latter is rarely available from anybody but the 'mom & pop' music stores.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

fretted

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
This will be a very difficult subject to discuss here given the "no pricing discussion" policy here on UTGF.

You may want to use one of the other forum to raise this up for discussion.

This is a very general question regarding a routine across all of commerce and within a particular industry. It's not an appeal nor petition as to actual price comparisons.
1993(?) 410 Special Edition (Rosewood/cut-away)
1995 412
1997 810
1998 Mahogany Baby
2000 714
2010 DN3
2013 Mini Mahogany
2014 522 12 fret
About two dozen other brands of guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, banjos and Venezuelan Cuatros, not to mention the flutes, pennywhistles and the piano.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
This is a very general question regarding a routine across all of commerce and within a particular industry. It's not an appeal nor petition as to actual price comparisons.

It will still get flagged, because it has the word "price" in it.  I have had posts deleted simply because I mentioned the approximate street price of a guitar that I did not even buy twenty years ago (a model no longer in production).  But hey, it's not my forum so I abide by the rules.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
Without getting into exact numbers and incurring the wrath of the moderators, my experience has been that there is the list price (set by Taylor), the advertised price (which all Taylor dealers, including the 'big guys' like Guitar Center publish), and the negotiated 'out-the-door' price.  The latter is rarely available from anybody but the 'mom & pop' music stores.

I haven't had any problems getting a discount from most online dealers. Usually a quick message to an online customer care person gets me a discount code. No hassle or haggling necessary. Plus, no sales tax and free shipping.

$%
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:44:10 PM by UTGF-Team »
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »

I haven't had any problems getting a discount from most online dealers. Usually a quick message to an online customer care person gets me a discount code. No hassle or haggling necessary. Plus, no sales tax and free shipping.

$%

Good to know!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:45:20 PM by UTGF-Team »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Many many moons ago when I sold Honda motorcycles there were no prices on the bikes. We weren't allowed to tell the customer the price until they had picked the bike they were interested in and we got them to our sales desk. It was an absolutely INSANE way to sell anything. I would whisper the price to the customer on the sales floor and then we would go to my desk and negotiate. Needless to say I had the highest sales of any of the salespeople. This dealer went out of business in a year. It was run by a woman who had taken over the business when her husband died, and this sales strategy was her brainchild.
There is one local guitar dealer that has prices on some of his guitars, but not all of them. This has always puzzled me and he always says it's because he doesn't have time to price them all. I believe it's because he wants to size up the customer first. When I shop there I make sure I have my smartphone so I can look up the price if I am interested in one of his guitars.