Author Topic: Puzzled but happy  (Read 2693 times)

Maynard9089

Puzzled but happy
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
I have enjoyed the sound of my 414ce since I received it about 3 months ago. As much as I liked the Elixers that came on it I got curious as to how it would sound with other brands. On the recommendation of someone I picked up some John Pearse strings. I have had them on a week or so and first impression was so-so. I think I prefered the Elixers but wanted to give them time. I played it for around 30 minutes this evening then put it away. Less than an hour later I picked it up again and WOW! It sounded so much better? Why? It was stored in the case with the Humidipaks in place so I doubt that was a factor. People talk about the guitar opening up and I suppose that could be part of it. What about strings? Do they "open up"? I tuned it up yesterday before a lesson and its still in perfect tune now. Either way I love the tone and hope it sounds as great tomorrow.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

Iplay2

Re: Puzzled but happy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
I LOVE John Pearse strings, especially on my 710.  They just make it sing; however, I have gone back to Elixers just because I can't get the JP's to last very long.  They sound amazing for about a week, then they go dead.  That is just my experiance.  But in that week, there is nothing like them on my Taylors.

maritimer

• The Watermen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
I have pretty much settled on Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings but I don't care for them for the first few days after I put them on.  I find the sound too edgy but after a few days of playing them in, they sound fantastic and last much much longer than non-coated strings.  I would only get a week at best out of a non-coated strings and  I can extend that to a month or two at most depending on how much I play and if I regularly wash my hands before playing and wipe down the strings after playing. 

Some may think this is out in left field... (my wife thinks I am beyond that and in the stands selling hot dogs! ::))  In my opinion, the time of day that you play can also have an effect on your perceived tone of your guitar.  Try this some time... Play your guitar in the middle of the day in a room with lots of natural light.  Now play it again later that night when it is dark out and be sure it is the same room, guitar pick, location etc.  But in the second sitting, have all the main lights off so you only have accent/mood minimal lighting.  Or try this in a room where you can shut the lights off.   I tried this with a buddy of mine and we both agree that you hear more in the guitar.  Our theory is that there is less visual distraction and it allows you to focus on your hearing sense.  There's probably a PHD study on this topic out there somewhere but it makes sense to me... decrease one sense and another compensates slightly.  Look at blind people... their sense of hearing is much more finely tuned that someone with 20/20 vision. 

Finally content with my guitar herd.  Well almost...

Maynard9089

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
Well it sounded just as sweet this afternoon so I am a happy camper. Not sure what I will do if the strings lose there luster too soon.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
I have pretty much settled on Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings but I don't care for them for the first few days after I put them on.  I find the sound too edgy but after a few days of playing them in, they sound fantastic and last much much longer than non-coated strings.  I would only get a week at best out of a non-coated strings and  I can extend that to a month or two at most depending on how much I play and if I regularly wash my hands before playing and wipe down the strings after playing. 

Some may think this is out in left field... (my wife thinks I am beyond that and in the stands selling hot dogs! ::))  In my opinion, the time of day that you play can also have an effect on your perceived tone of your guitar.  Try this some time... Play your guitar in the middle of the day in a room with lots of natural light.  Now play it again later that night when it is dark out and be sure it is the same room, guitar pick, location etc.  But in the second sitting, have all the main lights off so you only have accent/mood minimal lighting.  Or try this in a room where you can shut the lights off.   I tried this with a buddy of mine and we both agree that you hear more in the guitar.  Our theory is that there is less visual distraction and it allows you to focus on your hearing sense.  There's probably a PHD study on this topic out there somewhere but it makes sense to me... decrease one sense and another compensates slightly.  Look at blind people... their sense of hearing is much more finely tuned that someone with 20/20 vision.

Well ... maybe I'm in the stands on the other side of the field but that sounds logical to me. Have to give that a try!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

kmhaynes

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
Well it sounded just as sweet this afternoon so I am a happy camper. Not sure what I will do if the strings lose there luster too soon.
Well alot depends on your hand/skin chemistry.  People with wet/sweaty hands will kill un-coated string pretty quickly, and probably should use Elixirs.  I have very dry hands, and keep my hands clean and dry while playing, so I can get uncoated strings (D'Addario for me) to last several months.
-----------------------
2001 Baby Taylor R
2006 Martin 0000-28M

jdiggitydog

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:34:56 AM »
Now that you mention this, I have noticed this delayed bloom thing with new strings before. 

Maritimer, that's an interesting thought.