Author Topic: So What Made you A Taylor Fan  (Read 6568 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: So What Made you A Taylor Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
Heard Boyce avenue play. Learned they used Taylor. Play a Taylor 414ce, it had incredible playability and tone. The rest is history.

I've inspired a couple of new Taylor owners, by being so passionate and loyal to the brand.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
Everything has already been said ... eventually, it was the whole package (service, company values, quality build etc.) ... however, initially what really won me over to my first Taylor was feel ... as a fingerstylist, feel/playability is extremely important ... while in pursuit of my first high-end guitar I eventually test drove my first 800 series Taylor ... after that, with every other guitar I tried, I kept finding myself comparing the neck feel and playability to the Taylor ... finally I realized it was going to be a Taylor because nothing else compared as to the feel and playability ... then it was a real education trying to determine body shape/size and tone woods ... but that was part of the fun ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
Taylors were the holy grail of guitars to me when I was first getting into guitar. Most likely because they were the most expensive guitars my local guitar shop carried (well, aside from the guitars the shop owner and his son build). My friend and I would talk about which Taylors we would get if we were to get better at playing and start making it as local singer/songwriters. A number of the popular local folk artists played and recorded with Taylors from what I could tell, and that only reinforced my perception of Taylor as the guitar for an accomplished acoustic guitar player.

Another aspect of Taylor that I loved -- especially as an aspiring designer in my late high school and early college years -- was the Taylor brand. The attention to detail in the typography and photography and copy and art direction in those years when I was wishing I had a Taylor (2000 to 2006 or so) was pretty fantastic. I would pour over catalogs and magazine issues that I would pick up at guitar shops. The catalog from 2004 or so was a great piece of design by any standard, to say nothing of Taylor's place in the industry. I feel like the quality has slipped a little bit in recent years in terms of design and typography and overall brand consistency, but they're still head and shoulders above anyone else.

Another aspect of the Taylor brand that I've come to appreciate is their transparency -- from customer service to their company values right down to the factory tours they give. I think the company really reflects Bob Taylor as a person and it has made me more likely than not to buy another Taylor despite the fact that I tend to favor more of a vintage look and sound these days.

Last but certainly not least is the quality and playability of the guitars. Once I felt I could play well enough and could maybe afford to buy a Taylor, I was ready to take them off the wall at my local guitar shop(s). That was it. From the balanced, beautiful sound to the consistent and precise craftsmanship, I was sold. And what I love about Taylor guitars is that their lower-priced guitars are every bit as good as their expensive models in terms of tone and fit/finish -- it really all depends on extras like woods, finishes, appointments, et cetera.

When I first got into Taylor guitars I didn't think I'd buy any other brand. Then I went to the opposite extreme for a while thinking I would never buy another Taylor. I have to admit they're luring me back by staying true to the points I've made above. That and they're doing some really nice vintage-inspired looks and sounds here and there that are really tempting the side of me that has been looking at other guitar brands. :)

In short, I love what Taylor does as a company, as a brand, and as a guitar maker and it's only a matter of time before I end up with one or two more of their guitars.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)