Author Topic: Taylor 414ce  (Read 9856 times)

dangrunloh

Re: Taylor 414ce
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »
I have a 414ce and liked it because it didn't sound like mahogany like the Sapele 314 and it actually sounded better than the rosewood when paired up to my voice.  You have to chose the guitar with your ears not your brain.  You can't rely on some charts or other peoples descriptions.  You simply have to play it, the way you play, and with the songs you like.

Drive if you must to find one.  Close your eyes, forget everything you think you know and trust your ears.

I played a 312, 314, 814 and a 414 in that order.  God's truth I picked up that 414 and played the first 3 notes of a C scale and said to myself, "this is it".

--dan

maritimer

• The Watermen
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
If you are able to try out one of the fall LTD's for the last couple of years, the 414ce's were made with the CV bracing.  I recently bought a 2012 fall LTD after falling in love with it.  Really llike the tasmanian blackwood and the cedar pairing.  Warm, woody, great bass, very responsive some some lovely grit / character when you dig in.

If they bring out a 414ce in ovangkol with the CV bracing I expect I would prefer it to the 814ce with rosewood.  IMHO, I prefer more mid presence than what rosewood brings and the ovangkol does that.   
Finally content with my guitar herd.  Well almost...

Reviveourhomes

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
I have a 414ce and I love it. I used to have a GA4e and I wish I still had that one.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr."

2002 Taylor NS42e
2005 Taylor 314ce

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
I am wondering if someone that owns or previously a 414ce could tell me how they like it?  Anyways I read up about the 414ce and it said it is probably one of the most well rounded guitars (rythm, finger picking, etc.). I like to play rhythm and  finger pick. After reading about the different tones that the different woods create the ovanjkol sounds like it would be good for almost any style. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just want to respond to your original question. I own a sinker/ovangkol BTO GA, and I have played several 414s over the years. I think that ovangkol, when paired with a good spruce top, offers the most complete tonal palette - good bass, good mids, and good high end. I've also never test-driven a bad one. For those basic reasons, I believe that a 414 is a very safe bet for an all-around, all-season guitar.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mauisunset

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
If you are able to try out one of the fall LTD's for the last couple of years, the 414ce's were made with the CV bracing.  I recently bought a 2012 fall LTD after falling in love with it.  Really llike the tasmanian blackwood and the cedar pairing.  Warm, woody, great bass, very responsive some some lovely grit / character when you dig in.

If they bring out a 414ce in ovangkol with the CV bracing I expect I would prefer it to the 814ce with rosewood.  IMHO, I prefer more mid presence than what rosewood brings and the ovangkol does that.   
Yes, I'm jealous...414ce Fall Ltd.
1. 1997 414ce (Sitka/African Mahogany, pinless bridge, satin finish)
2. 2007 Baby (BT1)
3. 2002 Fender CIJ Telecaster w/ Bigsby & Mastery Bridge
4. 2012 Builder's Reserve VII (12 fret Hog)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
I have a 414ce of 2001 vintage.  Even among other Taylors and other 414's, it spoke to me in the shop during a quick business trip.  After playing it for just a few minutes I pulled out the credit card and placed it on hold.  Not willing to trust it to the airlines, I finally retrieved it a few weeks later during the next car trip to that town.  The first impression still held true.  Over the years I have let many people play it at jams and guitar camps.  Seasoned pro players have said things like, "After hearing that guitar, I should probably reconsider Taylors".  One pro even seemed to prefer it over his signature model from another manufacturer, and only reluctantly gave it back later that evening.  Another friend always pesters me about trading his very nice Martin HD-28 even up for my 414ce, but I won't fall for it.  Every time I see him he asks if I am ready to trade.  I just smile and shake my head.

The ovangkol wood on mine is fairly figured and roughly the color of honey stained oak (many similar ovangkol guitars are plainer).  I call it "koa lite" or "poor man's koa" since it resembles a fairly plain grade of koa.  I primarily fingerpick with natural nails, but also strum quite a bit with heavy picks and a fairly strong strum.  Lately I have been using medium gauge strings to help with lowered Hawaiian Slack-Key tunings, and the tone is even louder and richer with the heavier strings driving the top just a bit harder.  My 414 holds its own in almost any application, including bluegrass jams, and is one of my favorite all-around guitars with great tone and excellent playability.  You won't go wrong with a 414.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

pottski

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
I'm in complete agreement with others in this thread who say that you can't go wrong with a 414ce. I have never played one that I didn't like. It's worth mentioning, since you said you're a rhythm player, that the 410e or DN4e (whatever you want to call it) is an amazing guitar as well. In many cases I prefer it's sound to the GA. I'm just not a fan of the look or feel of dreads, which is why I have a GA. I think ovangkol is definitely under appreciated in the guitar word, as it's an amazing tone wood. Mine is topped with adirondack spruce and it is an outright cannon. I'd love to play Strumming Fool's sinker/ovangkol GA some time, as I'm sure it sounds amazing too.
Custom GA Adirondack/Ovangkol
MIM Fender Telecaster
Luna Safari Muse
Dean Exotica Bubinga
Epi LEs Paul Bass

kohara

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
I had a Taylor GA4 and I think ovangkol is one of the more underrated guitars out there. Mine was very even across the spectrum and LOUD. Great guitar.
1999 Gibson J-45 Rosewood, 2010 Martin HD-28