Author Topic: Set Up  (Read 1489 times)

a1terrier

Set Up
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »
Hi All
Bought my first Taylor this year (214ce Koa) which I am delighted with. The action is a fraction higher than I am used to but its not a problem in any way. I was wondering if Taylor has strict instructions they give to their dealers on set ups or is it down to the individual
dealer to do it as they want?
Thanks.
214CE Koa Dlx

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Set Up
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
Taylor has pretty strict specs for how it leaves the factory, but once the guitar is yours, set up is purely between you and your tech.  A good tech will want to know how you play and what your set-up preferences are. 

Most manufacturers send their guitars out with action on the higher side, because it is much easier to lower than to raise.  Lowering requires either sanding the saddle slightly or filing the nut slots slightly.  [Raising the action means making a new nut and/or saddle, or using shims].  Taylor sends them out slightly high, but much closer to the final set-up than most.  Thank the NT neck system and the QC department for that.  FWIW, I have never needed set up adjustments on any of my Taylor guitars.  I like a lowish action for fingerpicking purposes, but I also strum too.  The factory set-up works well for me.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

a1terrier

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »
Thanks Earl
214CE Koa Dlx

stringman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
The nice thing about the NT neck is that raising or lowering the action can be accomplished resetting the neck angle  rather than raaising or lowering the saddle.  This means the proper string break  is maintained. 
Nate
Profoundly lefthanded
Taylor 814c-N