Author Topic: T5 G string going way out of tune.  (Read 1090 times)

Speedy369

T5 G string going way out of tune.
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:32:07 AM »
I have a new T5 Custom. I have had it for about a month, and have played it most days. I have found that the G string continues to go way out of tune compared to the other strings. It still has the original strings on it. Yeah the G always goes sharp. Can even be before I finish a set. I have not ever had this kind of thing happen before on other guitars. The others would typically have all strings go out of tune around the same amount. If during playing would always be flat. But longer periods would be dependent on humidity as to whether it was sharp or flat. But the T5 always the G is sharp, always by a lot more than the other strings. What could possibly be the cause, I am dumbfounded?

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: T5 G string going way out of tune.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
The first thing I'd check is the tuner itself to be sure it's installed and operating correctly.  I honestly can't imagine a slack tuner actually tightening a string (causing it to become sharp), but if the "G" string post is not perpendicular to the headstock like the other five posts, it could be that as the neck naturally flexes with changes in temperature & humidity, and as the other strings become slightly sharp, a cockeyed tuner post on the "G" string makes it much more sharp.  The fix could be as simple as loosening, reseating, and re-tightening the tuner to the headstock.

Not wanting to sound like the voice of doom-n-gloom, but about the only other thing I can think of to make just that one string go consistently sharp is that the neck or headstock is twisting -- i.e., warping unevenly along the long axis of the neck.  As good as Taylor's quality control is, sometimes a wonky piece of wood will slip through and become a problematic neck.

In either case, you may not be able to remedy the problem yourself.  A trip back to the Taylor dealer who sold you the guitar would be the first thing.  Explain the problem you're experiencing to them.  They may be able to correct it for you in the store.  If not, the guitar will be sent either to a Taylor service center or back to the factory for warranty repairs.  Shouldn't cost you anything if you're the original owner of the guitar.  Ultimately, rest assured that Taylor will make it right.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
 Hi Speedy. Tim covered most everything with his comments. I'd probably go ahead and change the strings. Make sure to check all the tuners as well. Hopefully this may solve your problem. If not, seek professional help.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Beacher

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 07:04:02 PM »

I had a similar problem on my T5z but the G string was slipping and going flat. I emailed Taylor tech support about it and they sent me a replacement tuner free of charge. Problem fixed.
Taylor T5z
Taylor GS Mini with Fishman Neo-D02 humbucker
Telecaster FMT (modified with locking tuners)
Telecaster MPP (modified with SD Pups)
Ibanez S5470 KOA (Floyd Rose)
Hughes & Kettner ERA1 Acoustic amp

Speedy369

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »
Ok, thanks guys. I will try new strings first. I am planning to change to the 12-52's with the wound G.