Author Topic: Show us your acoustic pedal boards  (Read 7341 times)

Doulos

Re: Show us your acoustic pedal boards
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »
I don't use a pedal board at present but I wanted to share a look at Doyle Dykes' board.  We saw him at a show in 2012 and this is as close as I could get for a picture.  Thought some may like to see it.  (I posted a picture of Doyle also.)  I was honored to meet him after the show.

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 08:10:29 PM »
They're platinum pro eq's Louis, I originally tried one because my mandolin only has a passive pickup and couldn't drive my amp to a reasonable volume. When I tried it with my guitars it sounded great so I ended up getting a 2nd one and selling my Aura Spectrum pedal.
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Peachlander77

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
I should have never seen this post as I thought my pedal board was complete for my electric guitar.  I didn't realize there were so many great options for acoustic guitar too.  So, now that I am starting out on this, what are must haves (say like 5 to 7 pedals) that would work well for your ideal acoustic guitar setup?  Can I get some advice on this for recommendations and what would work best?  What are the 5 to 7 recommended pedals that would work best in an acoustic pedal board setup?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »
Hi Peachlander,
The Strymon pedals are great, the Blue Sky does wonderful reverbs and the Dig is a great delay. They both have big brothers which are more configurable with more saved presets if that would be important.
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Peachlander77

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:35 AM »
So, would my Red Witch Violetta Delay pedal be similar to the Strymon Dig for a delay pedal?  Maybe I have the delay pedal covered already?  I'm thinking maybe I do and should hold on to the Violetta Delay moving forward.  Now, officially looking for a reverb pedal similar to the Strymon Blue Sky.  Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. :)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
Hey Peachlander,

Well "must haves" are a very personal choice for everyone ...but since you asked...  :)

1. A good DI unit that is 1. tonally transparent (when set flat, of course), 2. 100% dead silent 3. has a good-sounding tone stack.  To me, these three points are a must, and a good DI will make any decent pickup system sound better in the house, and a good system sound stellar!  Not to mention a "must" if you ever plug in different acoustics.  Personally, I like the Baggs Venue and anything Radial for this task.

2. A good delay.  I prefer delay over reverb.  I like verb, but most PAs and/or house setups will already have reverb on board.  This, and reverb can muddy-up your live house tone in very quick order, so little (to none) is my preference when live.  Short delay (slapback), OTOH is reallllly good for thickening  and "enlivening" your acoustic tone.  Used judiciously, it's almost "unnoticible" in the house unless you turn it off, then suddenly your guitar sounds thin and naked.  I've personally found short delay is my always-on pedal as it "livens up" the overall tone without really sounding like "an effect," per se.  And for "real" delay effect, use another pedal or another preset.  You can't go wrong with strymon, yikes that stuff is good!  But it's on the steep side for me, but even more it offers me far more applications than I need.  Thus on my acoustic board it's simply a CarbonCopy for slapback and Flashback for tap-tempo or "real" delay duty.  But on my electric board, I have TC's Nova Delay: outstanding!  Offers 9 presets (of which I use only 5), very flexible in its tones and types, and user friendly (quick on the fly).  I highly recommend the Nova Delay (or the Flashback 4x, too) if you want a more feature-laden delay without paying for a Stry Timeline (but again, Strymon's seemingly infinite number of algorithms really are tasty ...just sayin).

3. Yeah, reverb :)  But as per my point #2, I leave the "ambient" reverb up to the FOH guy.  My reverb pedal is truly purposed as an effect, so it's typically set heavy, and stomped in for this or that passage, intro, or whatever, then stomped out.  I like TC's HOF reverb for heavy washes, but frankly there are lots out there that are just flat-out good (e.g. the Digitech Hardwire is likewise killer, if not a bit large in size).  And IMHO you must check out the latest Boss iteration(RV6, IIRC) as it's washes are deep and lush!  But for a mini pedal(s), the HOF and Flashback minis are awesome in their tone, sacrificing only a few features to achieve a very small footprint.  And of course, the Blue Sky, and certainly Big Sky, are superb-sounding units that offer everything I could ever see needing in a reverb-as-effect unit.  Were my needs more demanding (or were I a better player), I'd consider one.

4. OD if you're nutty like that.  See my previous thoughts ;)

That's it for me on the "must have" pedals.  Probably ditching the chorus as I rarely use it.  Hope that gives you a few things to think on :D

Edward

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:21:28 PM by Edward »

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 12:46:47 PM »
Good post Ed , how far are you from LAX? My young lad is a Airline Capt. And I told him if he gets a 24 hr layover I'll jump in with him , and if your not too far I can go learn some thing  :)
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Depends on the time of day ...(45 minutes to a day and a half ...LA traffic, ugh!)
Will PM ya, friend! :)

Edward

Peachlander77

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »
Mr. Edward, just letting you know I really appreciate your detailed response and I've printed it and keeping it going forward.  Your knowledge and how you communicated to me is perfect.  Thank you so much.  Best regards with your playing.  :)