Author Topic: Can I put .12s on this Mini?  (Read 10173 times)

johnhpower

Can I put .12s on this Mini?
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
I recently posted about this acquisition.  My question is if it would be OK to switch from the stock .13s to  .12s.  I am guessing Taylor puts .13s on to maximize the volume from the smaller body.

I use .11s on my 414CE so I get a little "finger shock" when I switch to the 13s

Has anyone done this?

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
Re: Can I put .12s on this Mini?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »
I briefly had a GS Mini.
My fingers are used to extra light strings.
The Mini's mediums killed my fingers.
It hurt to play.
I put lights on, but then got fret buzz all over,
and had to have a luthier raise the action,
so then the fret buzz was gone, but the action was high.
Since I mainly am a strummer, that nice but small guitar
could not handle it, and I wound-up returning it.
 :(

cc407

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
I had a GS Mini and the medium strings were trouble for me. I put on a set of lights, but the sound was disappointing.
I put the mediums back on and again marveled at the sound. I ended up donating the guitar to a player in need.

Angel13

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »
The mediums my GS Mini came with were really tough to play and the action was high from new. So i took it to a Taylor authorised guitar tech and got him to set it up with a low action with .12s. I love it. Yes, there is a bit of a compromise with tone, but it still sounds fab and it plays so much easier. Tempted on the next string change to try HD Lights. Has anyone tried them?

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
The "theory" behind the mediums I believe is that since the scale length is shorter, there is less tension on the strings, thereby making them easier to play. In other words you can use heavier strings than you normally would, allowing you to benefit from the bigger sound of the bigger strings without them being too hard to play.  That's what they say, anyway.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
The "theory" behind the mediums I believe is that since the scale length is shorter, there is less tension on the strings, thereby making them easier to play. In other words you can use heavier strings than you normally would, allowing you to benefit from the bigger sound of the bigger strings without them being too hard to play.  That's what they say, anyway.

I have found this to be true. The short scale takes way less pressure to play for me. Of course I am already used to Mediums- have them on my 410 as well as my Martin. If you use them for a little while, you do get used to them.
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
I recently posted about this acquisition.  My question is if it would be OK to switch from the stock .13s to  .12s.  I am guessing Taylor puts .13s on to maximize the volume from the smaller body.

I use .11s on my 414CE so I get a little "finger shock" when I switch to the 13s

Has anyone done this?

Give it a try. You might like it strung with lights. Try tuning down a half step to see if that feels better. Good luck.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:55:48 AM »
Yes, this is true.
I feared the mediums when I first got my Mini. I called Taylor to ask about using lights. They said I'd lose some volume and would likely have to tweak the truss rod a bit. However, after playing it awhile, I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable the mediums were on the Mini. I have stayed with the mediums and love the volume that they produce. To me, they are as comfortable and easy to play as lights (or HD lghts) on my full sized Taylors. My advice, don't be intimidated by the mediums and give them a fair shake. You might be pleasantly surprised too. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:58:33 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Pearlie

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
I also had problems initially with the mediums when I got my GS mini hog.   I had been playing lights on my 214ce, so it a big adjustment.  I looked into putting lights or HD lights on the mini, but after talking with the Taylor tech about it decided to just soldier on with the mediums in hopes of getting used to them.  It's been a journey, but now I know to play the mini first, then the 214ce. That way the transition between string gauges isn't a problem.  I have learned to appreciate the mini's lovely mahogany sound and feel that I just have to trust Taylor on the string gauge.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
My wife plays the GS Mini, and she does not like mediums.  We put lights on it for her and it works fine.  It maybe lost a little volume and tone (10% ??) but is still fine.  (I was playing it just last night in standard tuning to compare to another small guitar).  I don't recall adjusting the truss rod.  And she tunes it down to Open G about 95% of the time too, so it is even "slacker" than normal. 

Since I tune down a lot, I mostly have mediums on my guitars, except for the Rainsong and my current test set of Elixir lights on the koa GS.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DannyF

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
I have super sensitive finger tips on the middle and ring finger of my fretting hand from cutting off the fingertips at work over the years.
They grew back and are just fine in my daily life but playing the guitar has been a painful journey.
I've stuck with the original strings on my GS mini's but have used http://www.originalguitarfingers.com  gloves and now I can pretty much play without them.
Playing guitar is all about the sound and I'd rather find another avenue to fix the pain problem than compromise the sound of a great little guitar.
:D Danny

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
To elaborate on Danny's post, you can also tune down a whole step below standard, which will give mediums about the same overall tension as light gauge sets, and be easier on tender fingertips.  I crushed my fretting hand middle finger tip in an industrial accident in 1978.  It was 15-20 years before that finger tip toughened up to be comparable to the uninjured fingers - slow but it does happen eventually.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Dulcilo

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
Try Silk and Steel strings. They are so much easier on the fingers and seem to work well on my koa Mini. I did not like the HD string set on my rosewood Mini--too much twang on the high strings for my taste.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
You could try light-mediums (or is it Medium-lights?) where the treble E, B and G are lights (12-54) and the bass E, A and D strings are Mediums (13-56).  Makes is a little easier on the hands while maintaining the bass growl you want.  That's what I did with my mini...
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

johnhpower

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
Just as a follow up I have gotten used to the .13s and do not want to give up any volume and bass response.  I have .12s on my 414CE so its not much of a jump.