Author Topic: 1.25.18  (Read 9694 times)

wooglins

• Veteran Member
Re: 1.25.18
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 02:18:45 PM »
There has been a lot of talk on this thread about the big news will be in the bracing.  In my very humble opinion I feel bracing is not a major announcement.  Have the last two bracing changes been major NAMM announcements, or is it just because it is the now new big marketing scheme that makes this such an important announcement.  Possibly, all the hints given are just a diversion to make a bigger splash in another way.

I agree with this.  For the vast majority of guitar players, a new bracing pattern would be a big yawn.  I've got a feeling it's something entirely different ... and more compelling than the rearranging of wood strips.  But I enjoy all the speculation.

I agree if the rearranging of wood does not result in a very noticeable improvement in tone.  This will not be announced as just a bracing changes.   The new guitars will most likely be marketed as the "V Class".   This is marketing speak to generate interest to try the new design which is very different from anything that has been done on a steel string guitar by a mass producer of guitars.

I predict it will be another hit, and Taylor will continue to hold their spot at the top.   Bob Taylor has made it clear in the past that it is not good enough just to be happy with what you already are succeeding with.  You have to always be moving the bar higher.   This is part of that corporate philosophy that is very pervasive at Taylor/Listug.     

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »
Wow, great catch, Zee!!

So as far as the "biggest thing" is concerned, we have a bracing change and a label to affirm it.  Um, ok. 

Disclaimer: I love Taylor guitars, particularly their company ethic and execution.  Heck, I've long since sold my other acoustics and have only Taylors and one Spanish classical so this speaks of my acoustic outlook.  But how they rolled this out is, sadly, over-marketed and hyperbolized, IMHO.  And keep in mind I've no basis here other than mere opinion ...it may just be the next hot thing.  But c'mon, a bracing change as the "biggest" thing?  I wish they didn't hype it this way...for me anywhoo.

Here's to hoping it's awesome :D

Edward

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
But how they rolled this out is, sadly, over-marketed and hyperbolized, IMHO.  And keep in mind I've no basis here other than mere opinion ...it may just be the next hot thing.  But c'mon, a bracing change as the "biggest" thing?  I wish they didn't hype it this way...for me anywhoo.

I wholeheartedly agree. Of course, they got what they wanted: A whole bunch of talk and anticipation. And they purposefully leaked a lot of information that had people guessing correctly. I'm holding out for them revealing something else tomorrow and having all of this other stuff about bracing being a diversion.

Of course bracing is a big issue, but this smells a bit like crying wolf...
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
It’s more than a bit premature to proclaim this was overhyped. Taylor’s smart, they knew they’d have to back up their enthusiasm. We’ll need to get past internet pontification in the coming weeks to assess for ourselves.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
It’s more than a bit premature to proclaim this was overhyped. Taylor’s smart, they knew they’d have to back up their enthusiasm. We’ll need to get past internet pontification in the coming weeks to assess for ourselves.
Well, yessir, you are correct to say such as it is, in fact, premature of me to call this overhyped.  But I'm doing so anyway ;)

1. I've done nothing to assess this "big" change (which the factory calls the biggest, most significant change) they've made except to see the threads, read what they've offered, and view the pics.  So of course, my pontificating is based purely on conjecture.  I am fully prepared to view the world with egg on my face!

2. But I very much doubt that the egg will be anywhere near my face (except squarely on a plate), for the simplest reason: guitars have undergone innumerable bracing changes since I've been playing, as well as since I've grown aware enough to notice nuances.  A "change" in voice is certain.  An improvement, perhaps.  Significant improvement, even possible, again.  But as for the biggest change they've made?  I'll reserve final judgement until I get one in my hands.  But given the pics they put out and the verbiage they released on this release, and the changes Powers has thus far made to company in terms of expanding the line (say, GO and 12F, or revoicing the 800, et.al.), and the innumerable changes I've seen, heard, and played in acoustics over the decades, I am sticking to my initial thought of "hyperbolized" and "hyped."

3. If I'm wrong, I'm putting gear/guitars up for sale and wrangling my hands around one of these ...count on it as I am a tone hound as much as any.  But given the premises I've offered, I think my existing gear is pretty safe :)

4. But at least the speculation has been fun!!  :D

Edward

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 10:12:10 PM »
i wrote this somewhere else, but a bracing like this would be amazing for a small body guitar, like a parlor, to add projection, volume, perfect intonation

hope they introduce a parlor with v class bracing and ill be having a NGD this year

parlor 12 fret vintage andy powers v class bracing...let’s go!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
... If I'm wrong, I'm putting gear/guitars up for sale and wrangling my hands around one of these ......

Edward

No! You've NEVER sold a Taylor to buy another Taylor. Just hasn't happened.  ;)
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

dmccrider

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:32 AM »
i wrote this somewhere else, but a bracing like this would be amazing for a small body guitar, like a parlor, to add projection, volume, perfect intonation

hope they introduce a parlor with v class bracing and ill be having a NGD this year

Yes zeebow, that's exactly what I was thinking! I happen to own a Taylor Parlor that sounds exquisite. The way Taylor seems to be coming up with new innovations that put many of their older models to shame over these past few years, I've taken some pleasure in that they haven't taken aim at my parlor. This news gives me optimism that they can turbo charge the small bodies and make them more versatile, while at the same time selfishly hoping they tip toe around the parlor as they've always seemed to do  :P  It looks like they're just targeting the GAs for now but an 812ce 12 fret with the promise of what the v-bracing claims to do, I bet that would be one sweet instrument!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
... If I'm wrong, I'm putting gear/guitars up for sale and wrangling my hands around one of these ......

Edward

No! You've NEVER sold a Taylor to buy another Taylor. Just hasn't happened.  ;)

HA! Been outed again!!  ...dang internet :D :D :D

Edward

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »
This should answer alot of the questions and initial skepticism.

https://mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=467173&amp%3Bver=html5&amp%3Bp=104#{"issue_id":467173,"page":104}

Vintage expert George Gruhn, who dismisses most "new" guitar designs "as just different binding or inlay patterns," lends credence to Andy's claim, calling V-Class bracing a "genuine innovation."  He adds that it has created "the best sounding and playing guitars Taylor has ever produced."

I am hard pressed to argue with George Gruhn, he literally wrote the book on acoustic guitars.  The article linked is from Music Trades magazine and I believe it answers many of the questions floating around about why this is a big deal.  Of course it has to deliver and I suspect it will with a positive note from George.   Living in Nashville as a stringed instrument aficionado, you just know who George is.  His credentials are impeccable, and is considered the greatest living expert in stringed instruments alive.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
Here’s an in-depth, no nonsense review which describes the sonic benefits and partially demonstrates them.

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/acoustic-guitars/taylor-koa-series-builders-edition-k14ce/
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

You and me both, zeebow!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

nhbiker1961

• My duo
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »
I wish they would address the pre-amp issues with the ES2 instead of bracing. I still have my Taylors but do not gig with them anymore. They are either too hot or not hot enough depending on the venue. I keep switching between the ES2 pre-amp and the EST. I went the way of Doyle Dykes about 6 months ago with a Godin hybrid for live performances but love my Taylors for home playing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:44:13 PM by nhbiker1961 »
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 214ce
2-Godin A6
Fender-strat
Fender-teli
Peavey
Washburn 12 String
Godin SD
Epiphone Red Dot
Wahburn dobro
Les Paul