Author Topic: If you could only have one Taylor.....  (Read 12304 times)

krugjr

• Veteran Member
Re: If you could only have one Taylor.....
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
2013 516e FLTD
Music.....the Universal Language!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
I might be the only one here who has already answered this for myself.

Once I had my 616ce FE in my hands, I knew my other guitars were toast.

Mind you, my other guitars at the time included this:

A Custom Cocobolo GC

and this AA Koa K24ce:

Every once in a while I miss looking at them, but I don't really miss them. So yeah, interesting question, food for thought.  8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

skitoolong

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
At this point, I've only had 4

DN3
GS6
2013 FLTD 516

Of those, I still have the GS6 and my current favorite, the 516e FLTD.

Sprintbob

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 02:59:57 AM »
This question is no longer easy for me...I love all the guitars in my signature, so it would be difficult at best to pick one...each wood combination offers something special and unique. I'm blessed to have them all, because each one's perceived weakness is compensated for by another's strength. In my long quest to find THE ONE, I've concluded that it doesn't exist. If stranded on a desert island, I'd be happy to be left with any one of these.....

Ditto for me at this time. I've got all hog, cedar/EIR, sitka/EIR, sitka/mahogany, Engelman/mahogany, Adi/mahogany, sitka/silver oak, sitka/sapele (12 string), and carbon fiber construction combinations as well as parlor, GC, GS, GA, OM, OO, dreadnaught and slope shouldered dread body sizes and finally 12 fret and 14 fret necks. It's a great "spice rack" and I love the unique voicing of each one. I'd opt to add a koa guitar in the future.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:11:17 AM by Sprintbob »
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

jrdavis001

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
It would have to be my 2012 Spring Ltd 814ce Cocobola. To my ears the best guitar I have ever played. Great sustain, plays like butter. I'm using the new SCGC strings and they are a perfect match.
2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. Cocobola/Sitka

1997 Takamine Ltd Gecko Koa/Sitka

Redwood Tree

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »
OK I've been watching this one for a while , so have had time to think it out ..... 1 and only Taylor, Ok It will have to be my 914ce L7. The sound is perfect all around.
 The Kenny Loggins/KLSM  came in 2nd place.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
I replied earlier, but my opinion has changed. I really like the mahogany topped 300s. I also really like the vintage cool of the sunburst 700s. And of course the redesigned 800s have all the latest and greatest features. So if I could have only ONE....I would choose....shoot, I can't decide.

Wait, I think I've got it figured out--GS in 300; DN in 700; and GA in 800. There you go--only ONE guitar in three different series. Problem solved.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Thumb Picker

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I would have to go with my 1998 614 with quilted maple and the old Fishman pu
Like me, it has a few dings and dents
but still plays and sounds to my liking

I thought the SE  W14 I bought a few years ago would quickly become my fav
But it's so dang pretty I'm reluctant to play it very much and I never take it to jams

Finally decided I'm just gonna sell it to someone deserving of such a fine instrument
Taylor 614ce 1998 Quilted Maple beauty
Taylor 514ce-N
Taylor 312ce
Taylor 414ce Custom

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
Fishhawk, don't be too hasty about selling the W14.

I kinda have the same issue with my koa / spruce GS from 2006.  Great guitar, but it is still in pristine condition (literally looks showroom new).  Most of the dents and dings tend to accumulate while playing outside the house.  I'm trying to overcome this attitude and fully enjoy my BEST guitar, but it is not easy.  It was bought used, and I might have been better off had it come already wearing its first ding.  My 2007 all-koa 424 LTD suffers from the same malady too, but to a lesser extent.  Among my wood guitars, these will be the last two to go.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Thumb Picker

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »

I kinda have the same issue with my koa / spruce GS from 2006.  Great guitar, but it is still in pristine condition (literally looks showroom new).  Most of the dents and dings tend to accumulate while playing outside the house.  I'm trying to overcome this attitude and fully enjoy my BEST guitar, but it is not easy.  It was bought used, and I might have been better off had it come already wearing its first ding.  My 2007 all-koa 424 LTD suffers from the same malady too, but to a lesser extent.  Among my wood guitars, these will be the last two to go.

Thanks Earl

You are right about not selling the W14 and working harder at just enjoying it
I too bought mine used but in immaculate condition
(The former owner probably suffered from the same issues I have in wanting to preserve the guitar)

After submitting my post, I immediately got the W14 out of the case and enjoyed picking and looking at it for over  2 hours

After that session  I had made up my mind to keep it and  then my wife walked in and told me how sweet  the guitar sounded , " filled the room with such great sound and looks  sooo pretty"
Well , That clinched it for me
The W14 has a home

Enjoy those beautiful Koas!!!!

I have a T5 C2 Koa that I will be selling for sure
I'm just not an electric guitar guy
Acoustic to the bone I guess

Taylor 614ce 1998 Quilted Maple beauty
Taylor 514ce-N
Taylor 312ce
Taylor 414ce Custom

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »

Thanks Earl

You are right about not selling the W14 and working harder at just enjoying it
I too bought mine used but in immaculate condition
(The former owner probably suffered from the same issues I have in wanting to preserve the guitar)

After submitting my post, I immediately got the W14 out of the case and enjoyed picking and looking at it for over  2 hours

After that session  I had made up my mind to keep it and  then my wife walked in and told me how sweet  the guitar sounded , " filled the room with such great sound and looks  sooo pretty"
Well , That clinched it for me
The W14 has a home

Enjoy those beautiful Koas!!!!

I have a T5 C2 Koa that I will be selling for sure
I'm just not an electric guitar guy
Acoustic to the bone I guess

Good for you, Earl and Fishhawk!

I've made this point before, sometimes with some fairly hostile responses. I love all my guitars. I think they're all beautiful, both visually and sound-wise. I try to keep them in as pristine condition as possible. But I recognize that they are instruments just as their more modestly appointed counterparts are. So I say, play them whenever and wherever you can and enjoy them. Back in NY, I had lots of friends with antique autos. They said that they don't belong in the garage, but out on the road to be enjoyed by the driver and  the people who get to see them.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

PTC Bernie

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
The only Taylor currently in my sig.  My 95 612 Custom. 

I played a new 612-12 fret and it was great.  If they got rid of the holes in the upper bout, the holes in the end piece, the holes in the bridge and went natural colors to let the maple and spruce show through, I might seriously have thought about taking it home.

Even if they did all that, I'd still have a hard time giving up the 95 612 though.  There's something about 90's Taylor's that they still can't beat.
Bernie

2006 Webber 000-12 fret

1995 Taylor 612C Custom

1968 Aria 6815 12 string

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
My Custom 12-fret Mahogany GC. Beautiful looks, beautiful tone.

Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

LisaT

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
My Custom 12 Fret GC Sitka/EI Rosewood.  This little guitar has completely 'wowed' me.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:55 AM »
My Custom 12 Fret GC Sitka/EI Rosewood.  This little guitar has completely 'wowed' me.

Amen to that
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge