Author Topic: If you had to get up and perform right now, how many songs could you do?  (Read 6172 times)

M19

• Veteran Member
30 or 40 I guess. Majority fingerstyle, minority strum and sing.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Gordo in OZ

A bit over 60. There are more but they were learned years ago and I don't bother playing them anymore. I almost never forget a lyric but I do forget which songs I know. I keep a list to remind me of the Song, Tuning, Key and Capo Position.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
id probably do the 16 i have in the set at the moment that wouldn't be a problem
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
My playlist has about 40 songs that I have performed, but for most of them I need some help and at least need to have my music book in front of me "just in case". I'd say I can do about 15 cold, without the words in front of me. But, my nerves still get to me and that makes me forget - even songs I've played a hundred times before without help. My usual venue is a 15-20 minute open mic night, so I can get away with practicing five or six songs a few days before hand. Later this year I'm doing an hour long gig at the riverfront, so there's going to be some serious practice time going on.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Gordo in OZ

I have about 50 songs and 6 instrumentals in my head that I can do to a performance standard. I generally do not forget lyrics. What I do forget is - what songs I know, key, capo position, starting chord shape and sometimes tuning.  I keep a list of of songs with that info on my computer, phone, and kindle as well as hard copy in the guitar case printed in a large font. I still learn a new song every month or so but it takes a while (3 months?) before it gets added to the list of things I can actually do. I also regularly forget where I put my car keys, wallet etc.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

bbarkow

I could probably do 30-40 right now. Back when I was playing a lot, I could do four hours from memory. I'm looking forward to starting playing out again more, so I'll have to dig out my lists. I'm one of those guys that hates music stands. I just work from a song list.

John

My wife and I started doing some gigging about two years ago and got performance ready about 30 songs. We 've added about 10 or so more. Some are duets and some I sing solo. So about 40-45 songs total.
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
I've probably got a little over an hour and a half of music that is performance ready from memory, two hours if I get to use my tablet with my lyric pad lead sheets.  I've been working on adding to my set, since my Celtic duo is starting to book shows.  I've been adding new music at a pretty good rate, 1-3 songs per week at present.
Aloha!

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
I think 15-20 from memory.  Give me my book of charts and I could do 100+.  I've done 125+ different songs at open mics in the last 6 years but some were "one and done."  ;)
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
probably 16 to 20 if i had to sing them many more if im just doing guitar
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

DupleMeter

• Not all who wander are lost
    • My Site
probably about 200 - but I play all the time and if I sat to think I might even remember a few that I forgot I knew  ;)

Sadly, I've probably forgotten an equal number of tunes over the years...but I've been playing live since I was 16. Plus I go through phases where whole chunks of my repertoire fall into the "I don't want to play that song anymore" bin for a while before I pull them out again and say "why haven't I done this recently...I forgot how much I liked it"  ;)
The Taylors:
   1995 Taylor 812ce
   1996 Taylor 510c
   1997 Taylor 810-WMB
   1997 Taylor 422-R
   1998 Taylor 912c
   2003 Baby Taylor
2 mandolins, 3 basses, a couple dulcimers & 2 trumpets

Trillian

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't remember which songs I know. Between band set lists, acoustic set lists, classical repertoire, it all gets confusing. Even the dulcimer, which I know only maybe 30 or 40 tunes on, I keep a piece of paper in the case just to remind me what songs I know. And then there's the mountains of stuff I haven't done in years.
'06 110e
'93 Epiphone PR-775S Orville

Plus a bunch of electrics 'and stuff'

DupleMeter

• Not all who wander are lost
    • My Site
I recently attempted to compile as complete a song list as I could and then I saved it on Dropbox, so I can pull it up on my phone or tablet anytime...provided I remember it's there  ;)
The Taylors:
   1995 Taylor 812ce
   1996 Taylor 510c
   1997 Taylor 810-WMB
   1997 Taylor 422-R
   1998 Taylor 912c
   2003 Baby Taylor
2 mandolins, 3 basses, a couple dulcimers & 2 trumpets

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
Re: If you had to get up and perform right now, how many songs could you do?
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
Update:  Since last post on June 17, I'm up to a three hour set and now have a residency at one of the local tourist spots.
Aloha!

OzMaz

• My web page
Re: If you had to get up and perform right now, how many songs could you do?
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
Without my chord charts probably about twenty.
With my chord charts (and MIDI) over six hundred.
Only one a T3/B.