Author Topic: Bone Nut & Saddle and Gotoh tuners - 812e  (Read 2239 times)

Kmkoenig

Bone Nut & Saddle and Gotoh tuners - 812e
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
I am considering a new Taylor 812e and would like feedback on whether I should order one with a bone nut & saddle as well as Gotoh tuners.  Will the bone make much of a difference?  If so, how would it compae to the standard Tusq/Micarta?
Keith

2016 Taylor 712 12-Fret
2013 Taylor GS Mini

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Bone Nut & Saddle and Gotoh tuners - 812e
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
Hi Keith,

I love love love the Gotoh 510s, especially in antique gold.  I not only upgraded past Taylors with them, but my present ones all have them.  No, nothing wrong whatsoever with the stock machines; they work perfectly fine and have never had issue with them.  The 510s are simply superior in feel and precision and are "worth" the expense for me.

That said, the factory charges a hefty premium for machines you can simply (and I do mean simply) fit onto the guitar yourself.  So whether you pay the piper and check off that box, or DIY is entirely up to you.

The Bone nut/saddle is a good upgrade and worth doing, IMHO.  Again, nothing wrong with the stock tusq/micarta.  But bone on both nut and saddle is a good choice, not to mention Taylor's "wave" bone saddle is a lovely piece to look at (no joke, it's a beautifully-shaped piece and satisfies that mechanics nerd in me ;) ).  Sonic difference, if any at all, is almost impossible to predict.  But "generally" (whoa, lots of grains of salt there!), bone is considered the superior tonal material.  I'd do it for the "potential" of deeper, clearer tone, but even if no sonic difference, I do like the look of it, especially on a higher-end guitars as if it somehow "rounds out" the entire package.   ...oh so subjective ;)

Edward

Kmkoenig

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Edward, thanks for the input.  With the Gotoh tuners, is it possible to retro those on a 514 without them showing where the Taylor tuners once sat?
Keith

2016 Taylor 712 12-Fret
2013 Taylor GS Mini

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »
With the Gotoh tuners, is it possible to retro those on a 514 without them showing where the Taylor tuners once sat?

It depends. I think the older Taylor Ping (stock) tuners were a bit larger? And you could end up with lines showing like this:

I think more modern Taylors (don't have an exact year) have smaller stock tuners and if there's a line at the top afterwards it's mostly underneath the 510s when installed. Interestingly, I just put 510s on my 616ce and had no lines afterwards, but that is likely due to the ebony headstock veneer on the back and the hardness of the ebony. You could always buy a set and try them out to see what they're like, making sure they're returnable.

Even if I had the situation above, it wouldn't bother me, and I'm pretty picky. Just take... your.... time ..... aligning the tuners properly relative to the headstock. Once you drill those pilot holes for the 510 screws, you're stuck with the alignment of each. (Relative to each other and to the headstock.) I second the bone comments, go with those.

NOTE:  I just re-read your post, you're talking a new 812. I wouldn't worry about this at all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:30:00 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »
 Hi Keith. I installed Gotoh 510's on my 314ce and my 524ce. Not a difficult mod, but you gotta drill some holes. Someone was nice enough to post a thread with installation instructions. Don't let Guitarsan's photo scare you to death. :) If you see lines like that, just unplug the drill.

I don't spend much time thinking about nut and saddle materials. Thanks to this forum, I learned my 524ce has a Micarta saddle. :)         
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"