Author Topic: If you had to get up and perform right now, how many songs could you do?  (Read 6173 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Here's the supposition:  you get a phone call to grab your guitar and rush down to your local hot spot to perform.  The money's great and you just can't pass up the offer.  How many complete songs -- no partials and no songs you still haven't quite mastered -- could you do?

I'm just a hack, so I could manage to do 14 songs.  How about you?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

azslacker

• Veteran Member
With no song sheets, I'm good for about 14 too. With lyric sheets, maybe 30.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Powered mainly by my one-man ELO tribute, I could manage about 17 or so complete songs.  How many I could actually play well enough for someone to pay me to perform them, however, is another matter...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Wow, that's a good question and gives inspiration for practicing your list so you can be ready if called upon :)

I might could do around 25, but the majority of those are originals.  Believe it or not, you have to rehearse those from time to time, too, because if it's been a while you can forget them.  So maybe it could be less!  Ha! 
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
My personal play list is over four hours long and has about 150 songs on it.  That includes vocals and strumming, folk vocals with fingerpicking, country blues and ragtime fingerpicking solos, and Hawaiian slack key instrumentals in 5-6 different tunings.  I can do - from memory - about an hour's worth of each category.  But I have been playing for a LONG time, performed for many years at coffeehouses and festivals, and routinely play in at least three different jam circles therefore I need to know a wide variety of songs.  While I practice a lot, I don't learn very much new stuff these days, as most of my practice time and attention goes into maintaining what I already have under my fingers and in my brain.  And yes, if you don't play it somewhat regularly (at least once or twice a month) it goes away.  In my case, the music itself is fairly easy because I can hear chord changes pretty well after all this time, but I find myself needing lyric sheets and set lists a lot more than ten years ago.  If I have a gig coming up, I will spend about 90 minutes per night for a couple of weeks beforehand polishing up what I plan to play.

I always suggest to students and newer players to have five of your favorite songs that you can play from memory on demand, and keep a 3x5 card in your case with that list.  In a song circle or jam, it takes a while to come around to you five times, so you should be covered.  Odds are you won't have your binder, your music stand, a light and all the "stuff" with you around that spontaneous campfire jam.  At every guitar camp or major jam session, there is always a song or two that I don't know but want to be able to play, and I make it a point to go home and learn it the next week.  Then it becomes another song to maintain.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:43:00 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Five cold from memory, any time. 50 more with lyrics in front of me. 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
Err, none, but I'm getting there. It'd be an Eagles medley at the moment ;D
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
I'm about to find out. :o

I just got booked to play a private party next Sunday. I figure I can go for 3 hours or so. Probably 40 songs more or less. I may need a couple of cheat sheets for the lyrics, though. I can pretty much remember most of the chords, though (hopefully).

My part-time gigging hobby band has a set list of about 50 songs I can play with no problem, so I probably will work in a bunch of those to go with my regular solo stuff.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Geez

Like many here...15-20 wouldn't be too impossible for me to do cold...but I never go without my I-Pad with the "On-Song" app. I easily have over 300 hundred songs that I can do while taking an occasional glance at the I-Pad mounted on it's own stand in front of me and a blue tooth enabled foot petal to turn the pages on the I-Pad.
1994 Ovation Celebrity Elite
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2012 Martin GPCPA4 Rosewood
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor Spring LTD 614ce (African)
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce
2014 Taylor 816e
2014 GS Mini Koa

deepermagic

On the spot I could do maybe 20-25 originals, maybe 10 Beatles songs, maybe 10 random covers, and about 10 more traditional Irish songs. So ballpark 50 songs? First time I've really added it up. Dang! I'm kind of impressed with myself ;)

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
ONE!  :D
Working on 5-6 but only one down so far. But that's ok no one is calling me anytime soon
GSMini
214sb

cooper59

probably bout a dozen that I feel confident

Louis

• Alberta Canada
I have about 120 in my list but numbers like "My way and Yesterday - there' s a pile of chords so without a few rehearsals I don't do them .And also I'm hooked with this program OnSong on my IPad - no more sheets blowing in the wind and flipping pages , I don't stare at it but I have it as a crutch to look occasially in case the chords get a little hairy . In the band we found we needed about 40 for a night of playing
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

deepermagic

I have about 120 in my list but numbers like "My way and Yesterday - there' s a pile of chords so without a few rehearsals I don't do them .And also I'm hooked with this program OnSong on my IPad - no more sheets blowing in the wind and flipping pages , I don't stare at it but I have it as a crutch to look occasially in case the chords get a little hairy . In the band we found we needed about 40 for a night of playing

OnSong sounds cool.

Here's the app that I use to keep my sheets from blowing in the wind:

;)