Author Topic: K14ce Builder's Edition  (Read 6823 times)

akokie

K14ce Builder's Edition
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
Finally got this guitar.  They are hard to come by if you live outside of the contiguous US (or the lower 48 as we know it round these parts).  First, I'll get this out of the way:  Aesthetically it's a stunning instrument.  Work of art, really.  There are really only a couple of things I would change and it would look perfect.  Sonically, straight outta the case it was only slightly off tune- most probably due to temperature fluctuations during shipping.  It's a testament to those Gotoh 510's that it was even close.  I wasn't too nervous buying sight unseen (sound unheard?) because I figured I'd just send it back and eat the shipping fees to Alaska.  That's the price we pay for living in paradise.  After playing a couple of hours in a quiet room, it is easy to see why all these websites are echoing the Taylor sales pitch of increased sustain, increased volume, improved intonation, etc. etc.  I have to honestly say it's not hyperbole- all those things are pretty accurate.  It felt a little more stiff than I am accustomed to- almost felt like someone had strung it up with a et of mediums.  On my grade scale the sound was a solid A and playability was about a B+.  The sound curve was totally different from what I'm used to- an early 90's HD-28 big booming smiley.  This is my first Taylor and this specific guitar is much more neutral.  The mids are waaaay more pronounced  than I'm used to (this is all acoustic, BTW- haven't plugged it n yet).
today I went and got some elixir custom lights and restrung it to see how it would change and if I would be sending it back. i let it settle down and played for another couple of hours- mostly flatpicking (which I know is not this guitar's forte, but that's 80% of what I do).  I will most def be keeping this guitar.  while the sound quality came down slightly to an A minus, the playability is exactly what I was looking for.  I expect in time that the Koa tonewood (also a first for me) will warm up a bit and it'll sound maybe a bit more worn in. But honestly, it sounds just really nice and plays like a dream.
Nope.  I will not be sending this one back. 

Guitargeak99

Re: K14ce Builder's Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
My gosh, it’s absolutely stunning.
I really like the bevel.
Regarding your comment about playability, is there anything a good luthier can do with regards to set up? .........nuts slots, neck relief, action?
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

FlyWilde

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
Beautiful guitar. Congratulations. One of those is on my wish list.
"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea."  Isak Dinesen

Taylor 816ce
Taylor T5z-12 Classic Tropical Mahogany
Martin 00-15M
2018 Larrivee P-03 (inbound)
Fender Standard Stratocaster - Sunburst (MIM)
2014 Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
Congratulations, it is stunning. Happy to hear it made the grade.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

akokie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Regarding your comment about playability, is there anything a good luthier can do with regards to set up? .........nuts slots, neck relief, action?

Yep- that may be something I look into later.  But honestly, the change in strings pretty much solved that issue for me.

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:13:41 AM »
How is the overall volume of it? My all Koa guitars are kind of quiet unplugged, but I’ve never had a chance to play Koa with Sitka on top. I’m very curious.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
If I may, I own a GA-KS and a K24 (2014). While the Sitka top will almost always yield more volume than the koa top, the koa takes a lot longer to open up. My 23 year old sounds like an old Martin - loud and meaty with a top end shimmer, but the K24 is the most balanced guitar I have ever played (better than most OMs), and jt has a very sweet tone with volume that increases with age.

Hope this helps.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
If I may, I own a GA-KS and a K24 (2014). While the Sitka top will almost always yield more volume than the koa top, the koa takes a lot longer to open up. My 23 year old sounds like an old Martin - loud and meaty with a top end shimmer, but the K24 is the most balanced guitar I have ever played (better than most OMs), and jt has a very sweet tone with volume that increases with age.

Hope this helps.

That does help, thank you
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
Congrats, akokie.  Just beautiful.  My all-koa 424-LTD will be the last wood guitar left in my house, even as some of the others are leaving.  There is something special about how Taylor builds with koa.  Since I play a lot of Hawaiian music, it seems only right that I have a koa ukulele and a koa guitar.  Koa tops do take a while to open up, so play it hard as often as possible.  Mine wears mediums most of the time, BTW.  Heavier strings are needed for alternate slack-key tunings, but also drive that top harder in standard tuning.

I feel your pain on shipping.  My last guitar shipped to Alaska cost $145 from Elderly, and that was a dozen years ago before shipping rates went up dramatically.

We spent 14 years (and 15 winters) working in Los Anchorage, but now live "down in America", or the Lesser 48 as we Alaskans know it.  There is another old saying about the big city of Anchorage:  Alaska is only 20 minutes away
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
Congrats Akokie,
That is stunning looking. I am still waiting to see/play a V class guitar but can really appreciate the beauty of that model and wood combination. Enjoy!
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

akokie

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
How is the overall volume of it? My all Koa guitars are kind of quiet unplugged, but I’ve never had a chance to play Koa with Sitka on top. I’m very curious.
It's my first koa, so I can only compare it to what I've played. I have a mahogany backed Martin 000-16 (also with a spruce top) and the K14ce is much louder- particularly in the mids.  I think this is almost exclusively due to the difference in bracing, but I could be wrong on that.  I have changed the way I play when I pick up this guitar- much less aggressive.

akokie

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »
Congrats, akokie.  Just beautiful.  My all-koa 424-LTD will be the last wood guitar left in my house, even as some of the others are leaving.  There is something special about how Taylor builds with koa.  Since I play a lot of Hawaiian music, it seems only right that I have a koa ukulele and a koa guitar.  Koa tops do take a while to open up, so play it hard as often as possible.  Mine wears mediums most of the time, BTW.  Heavier strings are needed for alternate slack-key tunings, but also drive that top harder in standard tuning.

I feel your pain on shipping.  My last guitar shipped to Alaska cost $145 from Elderly, and that was a dozen years ago before shipping rates went up dramatically.

We spent 14 years (and 15 winters) working in Los Anchorage, but now live "down in America", or the Lesser 48 as we Alaskans know it.  There is another old saying about the big city of Anchorage:  Alaska is only 20 minutes away.

Ha!  Well I can't say Juneau is much different in that regard.  Sure, we're off the road system.  But it ain't like we're bush people.  I have running water and order Dominos pizza delivered just like any civilized Murcan.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
Juneau is a bit different in that way.  I've been there when there were six cruise ships docked and anchored out in the channel.  Those ships easily double the total population in a matter of minutes.  Our last trip there was for a convention.  Walking back to our hotel from the Alaskan where we had played in the bar band all evening, we saw a black bear right in the downtown area just of Franklin Street, at 2 am.  "We're not in Kansas, any more, Toto".

Back on topic:  koa Taylor guitars.   8)  I'm still curious to see that K14, even though I'm pretty much done buying wood guitars.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ClassicRock

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
I have to admit that, until recently, I thought the only guys making serious guitars were in PA. I was aware of Taylor only because my son’s favorite artist played one but I didn’t take them seriously. But, I’ve been absorbing more and more info about the company, the succession of Andy Powers and what he’s all about. I am absolutely smitten by this guitar and got to play one at my local Sam Ash a couple of days ago. The sustain and overtones reminded me of my superlative Custom HD-28V in GWR.

I also take aesthetics very seriously and the one thing that is probably going to be a deal breaker for me on this guitar is the unnecessarily dark stain hiding much of the Koa wood’s brilliance. I look at the K24ce and wonder why Taylor killed the Koa on this guitar?

ClassicRock

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
Akokie,

How about an update now that you’ve lived with it for a couple of weeks.

I have tested one three times now and like it a lot. I’m getting used to the darker stain and decided that will not prevent me from buying one. I am still strongly considering the all Koa K24 V although I haven’t played it. I did the sound comparison on Taylor’s website which may not mean much because they sounded nearly identical to me which isn’t logical given the dramatic differences in the tops. I’ve also been pushed toward the BE by a knowledgeable K24 ex-owner who sold his after three years because the tone didn’t blossom. But, it is sooooo pretty.....

Ah, decisions, decisions.