Author Topic: 1988 Taylor 710 Binding coming loose on lower waist  (Read 868 times)

ko4bg

1988 Taylor 710 Binding coming loose on lower waist
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
Hello on my 88 710 the Binding is coming loose on the lower waist for about 5 inches, what would be the Best Type Glue to put it back with? I don't live close to a Taylor Repair Luthier so will give it a try myself first. I very seldom play this Beautiful Guitar as I have 2 Taylors and leave a 410CE sitting out all the time . So just noticed this a few days ago.
Thanks
Woody
88 Taylor 710
03 Taylor 410ce
Martin D41 Special Sunburst

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: 1988 Taylor 710 Binding coming loose on lower waist
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Could be due to a lack of humidity - I've seen this before on a very nice used Martin D-45. I would contact Taylor for repair options.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Hi Woody,

If you are confident with a steady hand and good lighting, you can easily do this with superglue ...very little is all you need.  And have a small paper towel dampened with solvent ready (like Goof Off or the like) if you apply too much superglue and it oozes out (which is why you use very little to avoid this).  You want to avoid not only the mess and clean up, but you also can glue your finger to the binding ...not exactly what we mean by being attached to our favorite instruments :)

All very easy to do.  But if you're not confident with it, then any good/trusted guitar tech can do this as it's pretty standard stuff that happens to any guitar with biding a some mileage on it (be sure he is, indeed a trustworthy guy, of course).

And as SF so aptly advised, check your room's relative humidity.  You do have a hygrometer in the room where your guitars are sitting, right?? (ahem, right?!!! ;) ).

Edward
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:14:42 PM by Edward »

ko4bg

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »
Thanks Guys, I'll give it a shot! My hands aren't quite as Steady as they use to be I'm still pretty good @ 70 yrs old & Broke Down Viet Nam Vet, retired Tool Maker. I've had this 710 for Many years but play the 410 most of the time around home or my Martin D41 Special Sun Burst, but still like the sound of the 710.
A few years back my hands were giving me a fit from Arthritis so I got some of this Gel that you rub on. Well we were playing somewhere & my hands were killing me so I got out the Gel put it on my hands and did NOT engage my Brain, where I grabbed the D41 on the lower Bout is my Finger Prints perfectly stamped into the finish. If it ever gets stolen I have very Good Proof its mine!!! Gettin Old is a Bitch!!!
88 Taylor 710
03 Taylor 410ce
Martin D41 Special Sunburst

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
Hey Woody,

Sorry about the hands ...I feel ya, though!!  Given your skill set, you could likely do this one-handed!  Enjoy your Sunday ...and enjoy the guitars!  :D

Edward