Author Topic: My background story plus ... Koa Gas and help on what to get next  (Read 2794 times)

Epic Audio

Re: My background story plus ... Koa Gas and help on what to get next
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
I love koa.
I have an awesome K26ce that I will soon be selling, PM me if you are interested.
That said, keep in mind all, particularly koa, guitars sound different once they open up compared to how they sound new. Before a guitar opens up it tends to sound bright and feel tight. This is why manufacturers of fine wooden instruments (including guitars, violins and pianos) often let their wood age for decades before using it. It is also why good vintage guitars often have a tone and resonance that cannot be built into a new guitar. The theory, particularly with koa, as it is very fibrous (as seen in this Bob Taylor (koa is his favorite tone wood) video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXnvK8GkjY), is the wood fibers are tight and compressed when the guitar is new. The wood fibers in this condition are good for the strength of the tree but not good for tone. Over time, as the guitar is played, the vibration loosens and decompresses the wood fibers allowing them to move and resonate more, resulting in what is known as the guitar opening up. My experience is that it takes about 200 hours of playing time to get a guitar to fully open up. This is also dependent on the environment the guitar is kept in. Some people will put guitars in front of speakers and play music into them to open them up. There are also devices specifically made for this purpose. In my opinion, in almost all cases, a guitar sounds better (richer, warmer, evener, more musical) once it fully opens up. I actually think the opening up process is always ongoing and why well maintained vintage instruments often have an amazing resonance. Good luck.

Sprintbob

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
My new K-22 12 fret was bought without trying one first because there were no koa guitars in my area. I had played a K24 about a year ago and the impression it left stayed with me. We are fortunate to have a retailer like Sweetwater where I could purchase the guitar with a worry free return policy.

I expected my new K-22 to be more similar to my 522e 12 fret which I am shipping today to its new owner. I have totally enjoyed the 522 and the K-22 is very similar but with a more crystalline treble response. The two are very similar in balance and warmth. I do think the 522 has a fuller and deeper low end but the difference is slight and my expectation is the K-22 will continue to bloom on the low end with more playing time.

And the K-22 is completely different than my 812ce 12 fret. I like that and it's quite fun to play the same music with the two guitars and appreciate the different voicings.

Good luck on your search.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

Arlington

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
For me it's the 700 series. You get lutz spruce, rosewood, and Koa binding. Such a tasteful combination of woods and outstanding tone.
Arlington

714ce