Author Topic: Taylor Resale Value  (Read 5583 times)

Jayssan

Re: Taylor Resale Value
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
My apologies for my "regime" line. Thought I was being funny, and now see it wasn't taken that way. I enjoy the site and respect the opinions and knowledge here. Again, my apologies to anyone I offended !
Taylor 2010 Fall Limited 514-CE
Gibson 1961 LG-0
Fishman Loudbox Artist

Epic Audio

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
I don't think it is just used Taylors experiencing a stagnation in price. I know a lot of people buying and selling guitars and other gear, some full time. The consensus is that people are not buying like they were due to uncertainty in the world, politics and economy... It's not that things are bad, like in 2008, but there is enough uncertainty that people seem to want to hold cash and not risk buying something that may drop in price should things get worse. Warren Buffet would probably call this a buying opportunity. That said, the used, excellent condition, great guitars are still selling at a premium although they may sell a little slower. I have recently sold some vintage guitars at (as far as I know, and I am pretty sure) all time high prices.

Sprintbob

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
I always roll my eyes at advice to "never buy new" as it makes a lot more financial sense to buy used. Fair enough but without those of us who chose to buy new guitars, there would be no used guitar market. 1/3rd of my current collection was bought used, the rest were new. I like to think I am helping keep the guitar industry healthy. Used pricing is driven by supply and demand for sure.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

Epic Audio

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Sprintbob makes a good point. New or used is not as important to me. I buy a guitar when it 'speaks' to me. That means feels right, sounds right and is at a justifiable price. I buy new guitars, used guitars and vintage guitars. I also pass on what others would consider a good deal if it just isn't right for me.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
Sprintbob makes a good point. New or used is not as important to me. I buy a guitar when it 'speaks' to me. That means feels right, sounds right and is at a justifiable price. I buy new guitars, used guitars and vintage guitars. I also pass on what others would consider a good deal if it just isn't right for me.

I agree.  If the guitar has the tone you want and the price is fair I would not care if it is new, or used.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
I wonder what affect Andy Powers' revoicing model lines has had on demand for new vs. used Taylors. It wasn't really a conscious choice but my "collection" consists entirely of post-Andy Powers Taylors...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:47:21 AM by jrporter »

tbeltrans

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
I wonder what affect Andy Powers' revoicing model lines has had on demand for new vs. used Taylors. It wasn't really a conscious choice but my "collection" consists entirely of post-Andy Powers Taylors...

Interesting question.  I know that there has been a sizable contingent of folks in forums who have said that Taylor's "golden years" were the mid 90s (approximately).  I have played and even owned a 912c from that era, and didn't personally experience that "golden era" about these instruments.  There was nothing wrong with these instruments, I just didn't see them as particularly outstanding among Taylor's offerings.

I feel that Andy Powers really brought Taylor into a whole new level, and much prefer these instruments.  So there are those who prefer the older Taylors and those who prefer the newer Taylors, meaning that there is likely at least some demand for both.

Tony

cotten

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Both my Taylors are Pre-Andy. That's not a slam on the innovations he has brought to the company. I admire and appreciate the ways he has continued the Taylor tradition of finding new ways of doing old things better. The reason my Taylors are pre-Andy is that I like them just fine. No, better than fine! If I were in the market today, today's Taylors would be first on my long, extensive list.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 07:33:57 AM »
Whenever I briefly consider moving a guitar out to bring in another, my two 90s Taylor's are never in the mix. They have a personality all their own that seems to increase in value to me as time passes. That said, my post Andy Taylor's are fine instruments that continue to delight.  These seven containing new and old have equal value for me.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood