Author Topic: Top wood on an 814ce DLX  (Read 867 times)

Mandotim

• Old fogey based in Staffordshire, UK.
Top wood on an 814ce DLX
« on: December 20, 2023, 06:01:02 AM »
Hi all. I’ve managed to snag a nice 814ceDLX from 2017. Lovely guitar, with volume and tone to burn. Comparing the top to other guitars I have, it doesn’t seem to be a standard Sitka top; the grain and colour looks very much like Adirondack to me. Does anyone know if Taylor offered these with Adirondack as an option? I have a couple of guitars with Adirondack tops, and this looks identical.
Hope the hive mind knows; I’ll contact Taylor as a last resort!
Best
Tim
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rob Armstrong Luthier built 000 size
Rob Armstrong doubleneck Guitar/Octave Mandolin
Rob Gibbs luthier built 000 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.
More mandolins and banjos than strictly necessary….

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: Top wood on an 814ce DLX
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 03:31:11 PM »
Hi all. I’ve managed to snag a nice 814ceDLX from 2017. Lovely guitar, with volume and tone to burn. Comparing the top to other guitars I have, it doesn’t seem to be a standard Sitka top; the grain and colour looks very much like Adirondack to me. Does anyone know if Taylor offered these with Adirondack as an option? I have a couple of guitars with Adirondack tops, and this looks identical.
Hope the hive mind knows; I’ll contact Taylor as a last resort!
Best
Tim

Certainly possible - back in that timeframe Taylor was selling an 814ce DLX with an Adi top. A quick email to Taylor support with your serial number will confirm it for you, but since you seem to know what Adirondack looks like, you're probably right. You can buy an 814ce Builder's Edition today which comes with an Adi top, as a related FYI.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 03:32:57 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »
I’ll contact Taylor as a last resort!

Why last resort?  That should be your first call. That way you can give them the serial number and they will give you the actual build specs for that individual guitar. You can also register yourself as the owner which is helpful in multiple ways. Don't be afraid to contact Taylor. They'll not only know but they will be happy to help you.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 07:14:13 PM »
I’ll contact Taylor as a last resort!

Why last resort?  That should be your first call. That way you can give them the serial number and they will give you the actual build specs for that individual guitar. You can also register yourself as the owner which is helpful in multiple ways. Don't be afraid to contact Taylor. They'll not only know but they will be happy to help you.
[/quot

I just recently found out that their build sheets always correct. I recently purchased a 322e 12-fret with a 3 piece back of Tazmanian Blackwood. I e mailed the mother ship with the s/n. They replied within a day, but the build sheet states it should have a 2 piece back. When I  questioned this, I  was told if they ran out of enough wood for a 2 piece back, then they would go to a 3 piece. I guess my point is...the build sheet is not always gospel.

SDTaylorman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 09:25:22 PM »
"Not always gospel" but certainly more reliable than "the hive mind". Good luck!

Mandotim

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 06:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the responses; I did contact Taylor, and they confirmed I was wrong! It is a Sitka top, albeit with an unusual grain and colouring. The surprise was that the guitar has Adirondack bracing, which Andy Powers thinks very highly of. It’s certainly more powerful and brassy than I expected a guitar this size to be. Well pleased.
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.

Mandotim

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 08:17:02 AM »
I meant ‘bassy’, not brassy, of course…same fat finger syndrome that spoils my guitar playing…
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 08:47:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses; I did contact Taylor, and they confirmed I was wrong! It is a Sitka top, albeit with an unusual grain and colouring. The surprise was that the guitar has Adirondack bracing, which Andy Powers thinks very highly of. It’s certainly more powerful and brassy than I expected a guitar this size to be. Well pleased.

Thanks for reporting back. You might be pleased to learn that Bob Taylor says Adi bracing provides about 80% of the benefit of an Adi top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF6JP1WV6Xw
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

SDTaylorman

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 10:33:31 AM »

That's why "last resort" isn't always your best bet. ALWAYS go to the source when possible to get true info. Glad it worked out. Now go out and play!  ;)