Author Topic: Will Taylor factory re-fret using Evo frets?  (Read 836 times)

Romo

Will Taylor factory re-fret using Evo frets?
« on: February 19, 2022, 10:12:51 PM »
I’ve had my 914ce V-class for about a year and a half now and I’m showing signs of substantial fret wear in the first five frets. (I do play with a pretty strong left hand grip.)

In the past, I’ve tried stainless steel frets on a previous Collings dreadnaught and didn’t like the increased brightness/brittleness I was hearing. I want to give Evo frets a try because they are harder than nickel/silver frets but not as hard as stainless steel.

If I provide the Evo fret wire, will the Taylor factory do the re-fret?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Will Taylor factory re-fret using Evo frets?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 11:24:47 PM »
When I had my RT refretted at Taylor (maybe a year or so before covid hit), they said Jescar Evo is still an option.  The fool that I was, I didn't do it back then because of the upcharge and went with nickel.  Dumb!  I just recently did a refret on a Les Paull in SS and will never short-change myself like that again.  My Taylor DN (my go-to live acoustic) will likely need a refret in the coming year or two, and rest assured I will go with Jescar Evo.

FWIW, the Taylor guys did a great job.  But when it comes time, I will go to a local tech (that did my LP) because it's closer, cheaper, and he does a better job with fret ends.  No idea how far you are from El Cajon, but something you may want to consider.

Edward