Author Topic: Chet Atkins Appreciation Society Convention in Nashville July 9-12, 2014  (Read 3632 times)

Clay

Is anyone else going to the CAAS convention in Nashville this year?  This is my first time and I'm really looking forward to it.  My wife and I are flying in a few days early so we can take in the local music scene plus a few guitar stores before the convention starts.  I haven't seen a schedule yet, but I know that Tommy Emmanuel will be there, as well as Thom Bresh, Nokie Edwards, John Standefer, Brooks Robertson, Sean Weaver, etc.  I expect to have a great time, and to come home freshly inspired to practice harder and longer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:03:36 PM by Clay »
Clay

Taylor
'13 BTO GA:AA koa
'13 514e-FLTD:mahog/Eu spruce
'12 BTO GT6:ovangkol/addy spruce
'12 custom 512ce:mahog
'12 912ce-N:rosewood/cedar
'10 516ce:mahog/cedar
'04 614ce-L7:maple/spruce

McPherson
'08 MG-4.5:rosewood/redwood
'14 MG-4.5XP12:beeswing mahog/spruce
'13 CMG-3.5:koa/addy spruce

madx2

I won't be attending but know of someone who might be performing there. His name is John McClellan.  He produced (and played on every track) of a Chet tribute cd entitled, "Slightly Above Below Average".  Google it and see who perform on it!! 

You will want to hear him if he is there.   

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Sounds like it will be a great time Clay.  Pick me up a T-shirt ok.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Clay

Sorry for the long delay.  Work has been keeping me way too busy.

I'll be sure to look for John McClellan there.  I'm expecting lots of great music that week. Afterwards, I'm sure I'll want to make a CD called Way Below Below Average  :)

I'll also be sure to check out the t-shirts.
Clay

Taylor

McPherson

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

I'll be sure to look for John McClellan there.  I'm expecting lots of great music that week. Afterwards, I'm sure I'll want to make a CD called Way Below Below Average  :)

Ha! just kidding, don't get me a shirt.  Just in case you do I wear a med. no no really I am just kidding.   ;) ;) nod nod.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
With the exception of 1998, I have been attending every year since 1997. My wife made airline, hotel and rental car reservations for this year’s event months ago so that I could, yet again, attend this year.

Clay

Herb,
I look forward to meeting you.  I'll be there all four days, so I'm sure we'll run into each other.  My wife and I are flying into town on July 4th so we'll have time to listen to some local music before the convention.  We're currently planning to hear the Time Jumpers at 3rd and Lindsley on Mon 7/8 and we'll be at the Grand Ole Opry the following evening.  Nothing planned yet for Sat or Sun evening, but I'm sure we'll find something.

Clay
Clay

Taylor

McPherson

madx2

I will tell you how I know of John McClellan...My eldest grandson had his new girlfriend over for a party.  The young lady (sophomore in high school) was wearing a "Chet Atkins Music Education Fund" T shirt.  I'm intrigued and think, "I like this girl already". I asked about the t shirt and she said, "My father plays guitar every year at the Appreciation Society Convention." She went on to tell me that he recorded a CD with many people who had performed with Mr Atkins. (That is the CD I mentioned in an earlier post, Slightly Above Below Average)  On it are the likes of Vince Gill, Tommy Emmanuel, Suzy Bogguss, Janis Ian, Kevin Eubanks, Mark Knopfler,Boots Randolph, Charlie McCoy and many more.

I haven't met John yet but we really like his daughter...she's a sweetie.

PS. I looked at the schedule of the performers and John is playing the first night (Wednesday) on Stage I at 8:30. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:24:17 PM by madx2 »

Clay

Thanks for the info.  I expect to be at all of the evening concerts, so I'll definitely hear John playing on Wednesday.  We're flying out tomorrow so my wife and I will have time to hear some local music for a few days before the convention opens.  It's going to be fun!
Clay

Taylor

McPherson

madx2

Hello Clay and Herb,

Could you give a little report on the convention to us who were unable to attend?

Thanks in advance,
madx2

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Hello Clay and Herb,

Could you give a little report on the convention to us who were unable to attend?

Thanks in advance,
madx2

I just saw the above request and will try to reply when I have more time.

madx2

Re: Chet Atkins Appreciation Society Convention in Nashville July 9-12, 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:16:52 AM »
I'm giving this a "bump" so it doesn't get too far down the board.  Herb and Clay, I hope you find some time to give a little report soon.
Thanks,
madx2