Author Topic: NEW LUTZ SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD 700 SERIES  (Read 4763 times)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: NEW LUTZ SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD 700 SERIES
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:12:25 PM »
I like the fact that Taylor continuously looks to hopefully improve their offerings instead of resting on their laurels like some other makers. I own both older and newer Taylors and while not all the recent changes suit my individual preferences, I think that all the changes are the result of thoughtful planning on Taylor's  part. I for one like the looks of the new 700s, even more than the 800s and 900s.

It is very nice looking in a restrained way. Can't get my head around that pickguard though. If I bought one that would come off.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:54 AM »
Here's a recent review of a 712ce by Musician's Friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20woyFrRw0
quote: "big, big sound coming out of it for sure"

So far the two 700 series guitars I have played both had fantastic sound.  Concern with volume didn't cross my mind.  My own 712ce-N has volumes of sound as did the 714ce.  The store I frequently visit has a 712ce due this week.  If it disappoints I will post a note.

Having played many 800 series models there's no concern in my mind about a lack of power in the 700 series.  We will see what the 712ce 12 fret brings.  If its anything like the other 12 frets from Taylor it shouldn't disappoint.  But given the option to take an 800 series home for free or one of the 700 series (all two of them) I have played, I would walk away with the 700 series.

I love the new top wood of the new 700s. The Lutz Spruce gives them a very credible (if not competitive) and unique voice among the Taylor lines, as well as compelling visual appeal. If you do not mind a lighter color for the top, the visuals are as great as the sound.  If you don't like the lighter color, the burst looks good too. Check out the stunning visuals on this 710e model recently reviewed by Musician's Friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQK9RMMfN0

I have very much enjoyed the voice of my 712ce-N and the tonal influence the lutz spruce has on it.  The steel string 714ce was also great. I highly suggest testing it first hand and forming a personal opinion.

If interested in the comments of a credible luthier, John Greven has made a comment about lutz in his guide to voicing steel string guitars.
(http://www.grevenguitars.com/pdfs/VoicingtheGuitar.pdf)

In my opinion the new 700 series hold its own and both I have played are fantastic.  In both cases I was tempted to take them home, and did buy the 712ce-N. No regrets.

As is always the case, each individual guitar will have its own voice.  So many variables are at play that sometimes you find a fantastic guitar that doesn't represent the "average" of that series, and sometimes you find a dud.  My local store has a 312e that I am tempted to buy every time I pick it up.  I picked up an 812e this morning that was a dud.  And yesterday picked up an 812 12-fret (no cutaway, no electronics) that was among the best sounding Taylor guitars I have ever played.  Hopefully the two 700 models I have played are representative of the series.  Will add another data point later this week.

Thanks for the link to luthier. It was a very interesting! I haven't tried a lutz top yet.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »

If interested in the comments of a credible luthier, John Greven has made a comment about lutz in his guide to voicing steel string guitars.
(http://www.grevenguitars.com/pdfs/VoicingtheGuitar.pdf)

Very enjoyable read, would have loved to have seen the original presentation. Clearly knows his stuff, except he's a bit wrongheaded about bolt on construction. Bourgeois, Goodall, Collings, and Taylor would beg to differ. Favorite quote is about Elixirs aren't as good as the best strings, but conceding they aren't as good for much longer.  8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
I think the new 700 series guitars look stunning -- and I'm one who liked the previous iteration, as well as the aesthetic from 10-12 years ago with the koa rosette and rosewood binding. I really like Andy Powers' design sensibilities and his taste in vintage-inspired touches.

I've been set on a Martin D-18 for a while now but I have to admit I've been thinking pretty seriously about a 712 (12-fret) or the 710. The clips and reviews I've seen of both those guitars really have me interested. They look good in both the sunburst and the natural top, and the Douglas fir herringbone is possibly the coolest design element I've ever seen from Taylor.

I haven't tried out the new 700 series models yet but for those who have, how do they compare to the previous set of 700s? Also, my experience playing the slot-head 510 was that it was almost like a bigger, louder 12-fret GC -- which is a good thing in my opinion -- is this true of the new slot-head 710?

Haven't posted here in a while, I'll try to visit more often :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jkm

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
An overview of the new 712 12-fret posted today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U38978gn9U

I had an opportunity to spend a couple hours playing a 712e 12-fret last weekend.  Will post a follow-up with thoughts shortly.