Author Topic: (Unplanned) NUGD - Cedar/Mahogany 12 String  (Read 9492 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: (Unplanned) NUGD - Cedar/Mahogany 12 String
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
Yikes ...huge, massive score!!!  And just how many, or dare I say how few, cedar 12 are there, let alone in GS body?  Years ago I had looked and scoured the net for a Taylor cedar 12 ...hens teeth!  I may as well had been searching for snipe!  And you not only find one, but in the perfect body size for a 12er, IMHO.  I love my RT12, to be sure, but you have something very special there!  Enjoy it; cherish that cedar warmth!  I am both jealous of as well as joyous for your finding this!!  :D

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
Very nice find Taylorgirl.  I absolutely love cedar/mahogany tone.  Sad to day I have never seen or played a 12er like yours, I am a little envious, in a good way. ;D  Gs is a good size and will put out some serious volume and tone.

I have had a few encounters with some awesome 12 string guitars, a Martin, Takamine(Lawsuit model), and a fantastic Taylor 655.  I enjoyed them all, but none get the love that they deserve. 

Congratulations!

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
Yikes ...huge, massive score!!!  And just how many, or dare I say how few, cedar 12 are there, let alone in GS body?  Years ago I had looked and scoured the net for a Taylor cedar 12 ...hens teeth!  I may as well had been searching for snipe!  And you not only find one, but in the perfect body size for a 12er, IMHO.  I love my RT12, to be sure, but you have something very special there!  Enjoy it; cherish that cedar warmth!  I am both jealous of as well as joyous for your finding this!!  :D

Edward

As Susie knows, I love helping others spend their money.

So....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Taylor-GS5-12-String-Mahogany-Body-Cedar-Top-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-USED-/231378902441

8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Beautiful, congrats!

When I was first looking at nice guitars I wanted a 516, cedar/mahogany.  You done good! ;D

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
Awesome story!  That Elderly place sure is dangerous..........

I had a Seagull cedar-topped 12 string for several years, bought because the cedar really tamed the "jangly" nature of the 12-er nicely and the dread body filled out the lower end nicely too.  I only parted with it once I found my Taylor 354LTD.  (It played like a six string for me.  My wife handed it to me in mid-conversation in a store and I played the 12-er for about five minutes before even realizing it wasn't a six string. Wow!).  I agree that the cedar top and GS body will be a special combination.  Enjoy.

For fingerstyle on a 12 string, I do an unusual set up. I swap the wound and octave G string (third course).  It doesn't really matter when strumming, but when fingerpicking, the index finger strokes upward on the G string.  With most guitars and the standard 12-string setup I tend to hit only the wound string, missing the octave entirely, and it sounds like something is missing.  I put the octave string closer to the ground, so my picking finger hits both again with my normal finger stroke.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:10:42 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the wonderful comments.
Talked to Taylor. They aren't doing cedar topped 12 strings at this time, not because of string tension or anything else,  but because of availability of the quality cedar pieces (thickness, plyability, grain, etc) needed to be a 12 string top. They said the ones that have been made are special, because there aren't too many of them. They said the warmth in cedar/mahogany is especially sought after by fingerstyle players. No wonder I was drawn to the sound of this guitar. Also, tune it to standard pitch with light guage strings, just like all their 12's.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:38:05 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
I agree with you, Earl, it's almost like playing a 6 string, with the fullness and extra bell-tone of a 12 string. Weird.
Susie

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
Wow.  That's one stunning guitar.  As I like the cedar/mahogany combination on Taylor guitars, betting I'd like that 12 string.  Totally jealous you are so close to Elderly.  Have only visited the store once in 1992. 

You've also answered my unasked question of why there aren't more cedar topped Taylors these days. 
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »

For fingerstyle on a 12 string, I do an unusual set up. I swap the wound and octave G string (third course).  It doesn't really matter when strumming, but when fingerpicking, the index finger strokes upward on the G string.  With most guitars and the standard 12-string setup I tend to hit only the wound string, missing the octave entirely, and it sounds like something is missing.  I put the octave string closer to the ground, so my picking finger hits both again with my normal finger stroke.

I'm not a twelve string player but I've noticed when I've tried them in the store I had a similar problem.  Like your solution!  That is, if I ever get one.  All the posts on here can sure create some 12er GAS! HA!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »
Wow Susie, awesome find! I am sure you have really rounded your guitar collection out well. You are also giving me pause as I have been wondering about a 12 string and am also in the "target" audience for the 150e. I had tried a 150e and it didn't "sing" to me, but I didn't know any 12 string music. I have started learning Fingerstyle and am really motivated bt Leo Kottke's music. We saw him last year and my wife is supportive so, sorry to hijac your thread but do you wish you had skipped the 150e altogether or was it essential to your 12 string journey and thus worth it?
I have started learning some 12 string parts so I can do some good test drives later this year.
Again, congrats, I can't imagine how that cedar top must work great on the 12er.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

ronmcc4

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 02:04:04 AM »
Congrats on your wonderful find Susie. Cedar/hog is just a wonderful combo for fingerstyle. I know the 12er must sound awesome.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »
Wow Susie, awesome find! I am sure you have really rounded your guitar collection out well. You are also giving me pause as I have been wondering about a 12 string and am also in the "target" audience for the 150e. I had tried a 150e and it didn't "sing" to me, but I didn't know any 12 string music. I have started learning Fingerstyle and am really motivated bt Leo Kottke's music. We saw him last year and my wife is supportive so, sorry to hijac your thread but do you wish you had skipped the 150e altogether or was it essential to your 12 string journey and thus worth it?
I have started learning some 12 string parts so I can do some good test drives later this year.
Again, congrats, I can't imagine how that cedar top must work great on the 12er.

Susie and I both have had 150e 12 strings, so I'll comment on your question as well. (I think this is Susie's 3rd 12er). I've said it before, for the money and what it is, the 150e is one superb guitar from a playability and tone perspective. For someone who "thinks" they'll just dabble and play a 12 string every once in a while, for all the 12 strings I've played, I can unequivocally recommend it. Would you feel like you wanted something better tonewise? I think we both found we played our 12 strings more than we imagined (the 150e had something to do with that, ironically!) and eventually the better tone spoke to us for a Taylor solid wood 12er.

Here's the thing, if you're on the fence, start with a 150e. If you end up trading it up or selling it because you want something better, you won't have lost but maybe $100, assuming you buy it new. However, it occurs to me Susie may have one lovingly cared for that she'll sell you if she still has it.  8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:56:47 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
Yes, I'll either sell or trade in the 150e.

Or trade....hmmm. Yep, I caught that. Maybe reading too much into it. But there is that Mini Koa thing kinda hanging out there, or.....  8)

ntotoro

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
That is completely amazing. I've only seen two of those ever and one of them is owned by me...  ;)

Mine has an interesting history. Below is the thread about it.

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=4988

Nick
2000 Baby Mahogany
2012 GS5e-12 (Mahogany/Cedar w/ ES2 as a Taylor prototype)
2012 GAce-N-FLTD
2013 516e-FLTD
2015 526e
2015 326e SEB Baritone

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. Very nice. Nick, that is a very interesting story behind your GS5e-12. So, you know how sweet (or should I say warm) these sound  ;). I don't think there are many out there. This is a keeper.
Susie