Author Topic: Cedar/Hog vs All Hog Help!  (Read 5844 times)

Stringband Eric

• My website
Re: Cedar/Hog vs All Hog Help!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
I've got JP nickel strings on my ladder braced Epiphone.  Seems to work well on that guitar.  Tried the Martin Retro on my Eastman E10D.  Didn't like the tone.  Heard too much clang.  Will eventually try another set on there, just to make sure.  Have a hope that when the strings go dead, that's the sound I'll want.

As to cedar topped, they have always been hard for me to keep.  Am too heavy handed a strummer.  But the 320 is a keeper.  Works not only for heavy strumming, but also is the favorite fingerpicking guitar.  For the very little I attempt.

BTW, as an aside, my heavy handed style came from years of playing old-time back up guitar at larger jams.  It was the only way to get heard.  And a loud guitar that carries also helps.
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
I put a set of Martin Retro's (.011-.052) on my 522 12 fret about 3 weeks ago. I think my impression was the same as yours, somewhat bright at first but now they are really starting to sound sweet as advertised. Great clarity and balance, these will be a keeper for this guitar.

I'd like to try the JP nickel strings and compare them to the Martin Retro's.
[/quote]

Sprintbob.....yeah, the nickels are completely diff than the elixers for sure.....I don't know much about string "tension" when strung to pitch, but I know those Martin Monels really string "tight"....to where when I play that 520 with those monel mediums and then play my elixer mediums on another guitar, the elixers almost feel like lights, loose and flexible, if that makes any sense...my next two strings I try will be the JP PBs and their nickels, like you said.....awesome how strings can tweak that final sound we get from our favorite guitars!

Music.....the Universal Language!

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
I've got JP nickel strings on my ladder braced Epiphone.  Seems to work well on that guitar.  Tried the Martin Retro on my Eastman E10D.  Didn't like the tone.  Heard too much clang.  Will eventually try another set on there, just to make sure.  Have a hope that when the strings go dead, that's the sound I'll want.

As to cedar topped, they have always been hard for me to keep.  Am too heavy handed a strummer.  But the 320 is a keeper.  Works not only for heavy strumming, but also is the favorite fingerpicking guitar.  For the very little I attempt.

BTW, as an aside, my heavy handed style came from years of playing old-time back up guitar at larger jams.  It was the only way to get heard.  And a loud guitar that carries also helps.

I hear ya on the "clang".....really clear and balanced, but on some power chords I hear that clang.....I figured that's why they work so well for the flat picking and leads on those dreads, and maybe not the best choice for all rhythm on a dread like I play.....fun to experiment though!.....thanks for the cedar imput.....my new 2013 516e FLTD and my 2012 810e Proto are the two best "rhythm" guitars I've ever played.....hit 'em hard or play them soft, absolutely beautiful for my style...

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
Anyone try Erie Ball Aluminum Bronze?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

TaylorMan1

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
I have a Taylor GS 5, and I don't get into the technical stuff. All that I can say is I play by ear, I hear someone play certain cord and I can pick it out.so when I got rid of all the rest of my guitars I bought a GS 5, the clarity the resignation the sharpness all come through very very distinct with The cedar/mahogany combination. Mine is a 2007 some poor soul gave it up, and I picked it up. A while back I was thinking about selling it,and every time I pick it up and play the clarity and the richness and the warmth just tell me shut up and play don't worry about selling it. And my wife said to me "it's paid for why worry about it" I think this redwood Cedar and the mahogany are a great combination. When I purchased it it had light string on it so I changed it to the medium, made a real difference on it. I don't play anybody else's songs but I do play my own and I don't think I could do it with any other guitar like I do with the GS 5. I'm sort of a Chet Atkins style. But I'm nowhere close to his talent.

Carl

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
I have a Taylor GS 5, and I don't get into the technical stuff. All that I can say is I play by ear, I hear someone play certain cord and I can pick it out.so when I got rid of all the rest of my guitars I bought a GS 5, the clarity the resignation the sharpness all come through very very distinct with The cedar/mahogany combination. Mine is a 2007 some poor soul gave it up, and I picked it up. A while back I was thinking about selling it,and every time I pick it up and play the clarity and the richness and the warmth just tell me shut up and play don't worry about selling it. And my wife said to me "it's paid for why worry about it" I think this redwood Cedar and the mahogany are a great combination. When I purchased it it had light string on it so I changed it to the medium, made a real difference on it. I don't play anybody else's songs but I do play my own and I don't think I could do it with any other guitar like I do with the GS 5. I'm sort of a Chet Atkins style. But I'm nowhere close to his talent.

Carl

thanks for the feedback.....hearing you describe your GS5 that way is the reason cedar does tempt me.....I keep hearing 75-80% of a guitar's sound is the top wood, the rest, back and sides.....so one of these days..........?  keep studying and practicing that Atkins stuff...bet it sounds great on that GS5!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

Carl
I share your love for the GS5 cedar/mahogany. But, mine is the 12 string variety. A very sweet GS from Taylor! Nice volume along with great balance all around. Ah, the warmth!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Buffadog

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I would also like to try a Lowden (Ireland.  They do a lot with cedar, too)!  Sort of glad I can't find either in my neck of the woods because I don't want the GAS.

Trust me, if you try a Lowden, particularly a Cedar/Walnut you'll have more GAS than you'd ever imagined!
'Never look down on anyone, unless you're going to help pick them up'

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
I would also like to try a Lowden (Ireland.  They do a lot with cedar, too)!  Sort of glad I can't find either in my neck of the woods because I don't want the GAS.

Trust me, if you try a Lowden, particularly a Cedar/Walnut you'll have more GAS than you'd ever imagined!

LOL! I figured as much...I watched so many videos on youtube about Lowdens that I was actually glad I couldn't see one in person! HA!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany