Poll

If you could only have one guitar for life, which topwood would you choose?

Adirondack Spruce
8 (19.5%)
Engelmann Spruce
8 (19.5%)
Hawaiian Koa
3 (7.3%)
Mahogany
1 (2.4%)
Redwood
3 (7.3%)
Sitka Spruce
10 (24.4%)
Western Red Cedar
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Your favourite topwood  (Read 3603 times)

Black Beauty

• Black Beauty Music
Your favourite topwood
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »
I think we've had a tonewood poll already but I didn't see a topwood one. Bob Taylor has said that the topwood makes up 90% of the guitar's tone. I'm going by Taylor's BTO sheet. Some people may say: "Well, it depends on what the tonewood is." But just imagine this - if you could only have one guitar for life, and it was a BTO, which topwood would you select (with your tonewood of choice)?

I purchased a 716ce with an Engelmann top because when I was comparing Engelmann to Sitka on an 814ce and an 914ce with those tops (respectively) at the store I found Engelmann was much smoother for fingerpicking. At first I didn't like the compressed sound when I strummed... But then after playing for a few more hours I realised that the Sitka was all over the place, it was like playing a piano with the sustain pedal pressed down the whole time without lifting your foot (that is an extreme example and it was nowhere that bad, but gives you an idea of what I mean).

I've only ever had one experience with an Adirondack top, it was a Collings DS2HA - couldn't stand the absolute lack of sustain - whether or not it was due to the Adirondack top or short scale or just how a Collings sounds I don't know, but it makes me wary of purchasing a guitar with that top without playing it first. I have been tempted to buy the 514CE-WW with it though.

Finally, Cedar. I've loved the sound of Cedar on a 714ce. It actually sounded very good when strummed hard, such beautiful bass response and after playing it in the shop, the 814ce and 614ce and definitely the Fall 2011 Koa GA all sounded weak and sharp in comparison (an OM body all-Mahogany Santa Cruz which I later tried blew its bass response out of the water but that's beside the point). But when I tried it on a 716ce it sounded horrible - far too muddy. The tone, whether strummed or fingerpicked, sounds like something that would be more suitable for rhythm guitar though, like having a bass player in a band to back up the guitarist, in my opinion, hence why if I was only to buy one guitar for solo performances (which is what I usually do), I would not choose this top.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Your favourite topwood
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
Everyone has his or her personal preferences.  Mine is sinker redwood because I can finger pick it and enjoy the full tonal range I'd get from cedar and the headroom and clarity I get from sitka.  Whether I'm gentle or assertive with a pick, every note is distinct.  Oh, and it ain't bad-looking either.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
Cedar to me is the most versatile especially paired with rosewood but b/s are not part of this particular poll. Redwood comes in a very close second and depending on the pairing would rank number one for me. I have both natural and sinker redwood and have a very difficult time distinguishing a difference.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Well as you can see from my signature, I own most of these, because they all have something different to offer. If I could only own one guitar, I suppose I'd choose engelmann, because it tends to live in the midrange of the tonal spectrum.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
there was a  tonewood poll about 6 months ago (with top woods)

it'll be interesting to see how much of a change there is in preferences, as there were about 130 members
here back then, compared to 6x the # there are now - has it been that long & has this place grown that much ???

unless it was noted in a post, there is no way to know which combination seems  to be most
'popular' (if it is sitka/rosewood, closely followed by redwood, or cedar/cocobolo)

some others - perhaps this should be made into a 'sticky'
models
configuration
series
electronics
t5 tops

how long have you been playing Taylors
how many Taylors do you currently own
what year model Taylor(s) do you currently own
how much would you spend

wishful thinking options
wishful thinking XX4 series

tuners
tuner buttons
string height
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Redwood Tree

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »
I had to go with the KOA, as If I had too choose . My Kenny Logging Signature  Model doe's it for me. It would be the last Taylor standing.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Fire

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
I picked Koa as well. My 2011 Fall Limited changed my perception on Koa as a tonewood.... to my ears, sounds better than my spruce-topped 814ce and 416ce LTD-R. Beauty and the Beast all in one guitar.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m