Author Topic: 700 colors  (Read 4762 times)

Jannie

700 colors
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »
Yeah we've talked about it but I've been watching the country cable show all evening and have to say just about every other acoustic guitar is in some kind of sunburst or other paint finish. And, I haven't seen a single Taylor (that I could tell) or Martin. I can honestly see having a series from Taylor with the new Tobacco look now as a marketing move, but also I've really gotten used to it and kinda would like one myself. They're pretty!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 700 colors
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
Yes, the burst certainly makes for a striking guitar! On Taylor's web site, they actually call the color Vintage Burst, but having just sold my 914ce with Tobacco Burst, I'm not seeing much difference in coloring though. The Vintage Burst might have slightly less of the yellowish/orangish color in the middle of the burst fading out to the brown compared with their Tobacco Burst.

Below is mine, and here is the link for Taylor's new 700 Series: http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/700 How many of you like the new look of the 700 series? I do. :)

Cindy

Doug W

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
I don't know - I'm just not a fan of 'burst designs in general.  It has never been a purchase consideration for me - meaning I wouldn't decide NOT to buy a guitar just because it has one, but if it came down to a choice of the same guitar with vs. without, I'd always go for without.  I don't find them visually attractive.  I have 10 guitars between my acoustics and electrics, and only one (a Godin LGX-SA) has the burst design - because every one that I could find available had a burst, so there you go.

While sound and playing comfort are my paramount considerations, I also want to see the luthier's craftsmanship in the guitar, and in my opinion, anything other than a transparent finish covers that up.  And before anybody gets mad and says the finish work is part of the craftsmanship - sure, finish work is a craft in its own right, but not really part of the guitar build or, I guess essence, again with the caveat - in my opinion.

Doug

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
I also want to see the luthier's craftsmanship in the guitar, and in my opinion, anything other than a transparent finish covers that up.  And before anybody gets mad and says the finish work is part of the craftsmanship - sure, finish work is a craft in its own right, but not really part of the guitar build

Doug, I'm interested in what part of "the build" do you believe you can't see if a guitar has a sunburst finish...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Doug W

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
Fair enough, maybe "build" was the wrong word choice, and again, I recognize this is a purely aesthetic choice, which is of necessity a matter of personal opinion.  That said, I like to see the grain of the wood, the fine detail of the purfling and binding, etc., and get a sense of the craftsmanship via which this was done, and in my opinion, a pigmented finish obscures my appreciation of some of that.

But ultimately, this is all probably rationalization.  I just prefer the look of a straight clear finish on an acoustic guitar, and even on an electric, where some level of colored finish is the norm, I prefer a simple transparent finish to the burst look.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
I looked at a new 714ce a couple of weeks ago and while I really like the sound and tone of the guitar, the looks were blaah!!!  It was just very bland-looking and I ended up checking out a 614ce and playing it for awhile and then it went home with me.  Neither my wife or our friends with us thought the 714ce was a good-looking guitar.
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
That said, I like to see the grain of the wood, the fine detail of the purfling and binding, etc., and get a sense of the craftsmanship via which this was done, and in my opinion, a pigmented finish obscures my appreciation of some of that

Well, I can understand wanting to see the grain of the wood. To be fair, though, the builder doesn't have a lot to do with that, aside from picking wood that's aesthetically pleasing. With regards to binding and purfling, I don't believe I've ever seen a guitar, that had a sunburst finish (or any color finish) where the binding and purfling wasn't perfectly visible.

Now, obscuring your appreciation for those things? Well, that completely decided by you. But your earlier post strongly suggested that a sunburst finish rendered those things hidden, and that's just not the case...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
I don't know - I'm just not a fan of 'burst designs in general.  It has never been a purchase consideration for me - meaning I wouldn't decide NOT to buy a guitar just because it has one, but if it came down to a choice of the same guitar with vs. without, I'd always go for without.  I don't find them visually attractive.  I have 10 guitars between my acoustics and electrics, and only one (a Godin LGX-SA) has the burst design - because every one that I could find available had a burst, so there you go.

While sound and playing comfort are my paramount considerations, I also want to see the luthier's craftsmanship in the guitar, and in my opinion, anything other than a transparent finish covers that up.  And before anybody gets mad and says the finish work is part of the craftsmanship - sure, finish work is a craft in its own right, but not really part of the guitar build or, I guess essence, again with the caveat - in my opinion.

Doug

I'm with Doug on this.  I would have pulled the trigger on a 712 this year but for the finish, so I went for an 812.  Right or wrong, I've always associated burst finishes with "cheaper" guitars. 
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »

Doug

I'm with Doug on this.  I would have pulled the trigger on a 712 this year but for the finish, so I went for an 812.  Right or wrong, I've always associated burst finishes with "cheaper" guitars.

Hey Go Navy, did you ever post pics of your 812?  I went hunting for them but couldn't find them...I think I remember seeing pics...man...I'm getting old...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Doug W

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a guitar, that had a sunburst finish (or any color finish) where the binding and purfling wasn't perfectly visible.

Now, obscuring your appreciation for those things? Well, that completely decided by you. But your earlier post strongly suggested that a sunburst finish rendered those things hidden, and that's just not the case...

All right, in the spirit of complete linguistic accuracy, and then I'll put this thing to bed, how about that I find that a sunburst finish on a guitar, which I generally don't find particularly appealing, tends to distract me from being able to appreciate the other aesthetic elements that I do find appealing?  Fair enough?  ???

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a guitar, that had a sunburst finish (or any color finish) where the binding and purfling wasn't perfectly visible.

All right, in the spirit of complete linguistic accuracy, and then I'll put this thing to bed, how about that I find that a sunburst finish on a guitar, which I generally don't find particularly appealing, tends to distract me from being able to appreciate the other aesthetic elements that I do find appealing?  Fair enough?  ???
Your comments and opinions have been fair IMHO, and you are certainly entitled to them even if others don't agree. Having 2 tops with the full bursts (Tobacco and Honey), the grain isn't as noticeable because the color attracts the main focus.

Not everyone will find a burst appealing just like some people don't care for a lot of bling while others do. It's all a matter of personal preference. Now that I have a BTO with the edgeburst, I find I prefer it over the Tobacco and Honey bursts...and all the other bursts I've seen so far. What I've found to be THE most important feature in a guitar is its sound not its looks (again just my own opinion and others may not agree). My guitar is there to make music, and it is the sound that affects me. Since I've already owned beautiful burst guitars, I'm not so inclined to go with another based on looks alone, but if one comes up that has a fabulous sound AND a burst top, I wouldn't hesitate to consider it. :)
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
i agree with much that has been said here -
i appreciate a sunburst or transparent stain finish as much as the next person, if not more, but
there were times when i was glad i didn't specify a burst finish because of the wood being used &
the clear finish increased the 'contrast' to make the details (i.e. purfling/binding) really 'pop', imho

medullary rays of a perfectly quarter-sawn piece of old growth redwood

koa binding & maple purfling

even with a 'natural' edgeburst finish, i feel that finer detailing, although still visible, could   be
'muted' a bit & i think that quality of the wood &, yes, the selection & the cutting of the tops & wood
sets are very much a part of the build process, whether it is done on-site where the guitars are being
built or if is performed by a tonewood supplier off-site, along with the finish, final assembly & set-up
each is an integral part of the entire process that is the 'craftsmanship' that goes into the guitar , imho

being able to apply a tinted or stain finish in order that it is able to enhance
certain qualities of the wood grain in a different way is a skill in & of its own -
(page  28 - each burst & stain finish is done by-hand & no 2
guitars are identical, due to the characteristics of the wood)
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/ws_fall_2011.pdf

this is a crappy cell phone pic (over-exposed background, lo-res, etc) but this a dark burst

other builders have done well with this kind of finish & vibe & i believe that perhaps Taylor
decided to give it a shot because they would like to put their own touches on it ('retro-mod')

on the other hand, this finish has run its course, at least on the standard 600 series options

it has been replaced by koi blue, which imho, is closer to the 'original' transblue shade (98)

imho, there are some details that can be made to stand out more/enhanced by a stained finish -
i think the stain gave the quilt figuring almost another 'dimension', especially as the angles change

this looks nice too, but in the long run the one that i thought sounded better stayed (not this one)

some features can stand out more when left alone (zoom view 3rd image, lower treble bout area silking)
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/ps14ce

they're all good, imho, & one really should not have to 'defend' or 'justify' their preferences -
we should be able to appreciate other's perspectives, as they can be enlightening &
we should be able respect each others opinions & be entitled to the same respect in return ...
we want this to be a warm, inviting, friendly, informative & fun place to hang out for all :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »
I'm a fan. I can see why it's a polarizing move though.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Jannie

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
Well at first I really didn't like it, but the more I've looked at it the more it's grown on me and today I found myself wishing I could copy the image from the Taylor website of the DN7 and use it for my screensaver.

jjracer

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
Love the bursts.  I wish I would have waited to pull the trigger on a 716ce I purchased a few months ago.  I would have prefered the burst and the Engelmann top.   

I haven't seen one as of yet but still yearning for one.  All of my taylors are natural topped, except my k26ce.  But I do like the bursts.  I have two other guitars, non taylors with bursts.
Guitars? Yes still have them
If I'm not here....... I am somewhere else