Author Topic: Grand Auditorium vs. Grand Symphony  (Read 27101 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Grand Auditorium vs. Grand Symphony
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »
i was able to compare a CV braced k24ce to a standard II (08) k26ce &, to me, the newer k24ce
won out in terms of depth, warmth, projection, but a CV braced k26 might up the ante a bit more -
these look pretty nice, imho

WW adi CV AA koa ES2 k24ce
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1108184099.php?CategoryID=106&n=4
k26ce
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1108184094.php?CategoryID=106&n=6

Thanks everyone, so far! Lots of good information to think about. One thing that I think is important is the light vs. medium strings. I do prefer the lights (except on my minis). Also, if a couple of you guys are finding the GS a bit uncomfortable on the arm, I'm likely to have the same issue. I'm a tall gal (5'9"), but it's definitely something to consider.
i'm just a hair over 5' 10" & the GS is comfortable to me, although i use EXP19s (medium E, A, D, .025 G -
same gauge as elixir HDs & light B & e (.016 & .012), but i think the GA may feel a bit cozier, especially when
sitting down, because of the body taper, curve of the waist & the 16" lower bout, rather than the GSs 16 1/4"

My husband sure liked the K2x's when I showed him the pics. I told him it's too much money (I'm my worst enemy when finding reasons NOT to buy something). But, he still spoke positively about it. I think he's eyeing a new (larger) maple syrup evaporator, so maybe he feels that I should get something special too.
sounds like a pretty fair 'trade' to me ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161272133271?lpid=82

i don't know if these pics are of the blemished one, because they don't seem to change when a selection
is made, but this is some of the nicest looking koa series grade koa i've seen, on my laptop screen, in a while
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYK26CE?siid=110247

Sure would be awesome to have in my stable. Based on the responses so far, I will do more playing at the store and see how I feel. Problem is, I went and retired with my husband and now we live 3 hours away, instead of 1/2 hour like before. Darn it. But, we do get down there for one reason or another on a regular basis.
sometimes a little more distance to a good store is not such a bad thing, as it may make a trip there a bit more special -
when i get where i'm going, within the next week i'm hoping, it'll a good 8 hours (minimum)
to what i would consider to be a good store & the store that i have frequented for over the
past decade will be over 8 hours away (by air) & a good 40+ hour (@ 70 mph) road trip away ... :-\

if koa is not in cards, there might  be some pretty strong winds of change happening to maple soon
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

bhuss1

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
I'm a fingerstyle performer, and I chose the GS7. My voice has gotten lower as I age, so I tune down 1/2 step…and that means when I use medium strings the tension is about the same as light strings tuned normally. It's a perfect match that way for me: more tone from heavier strings, but softer feel because of less tension. You do lose a tiny bit of the "zing" on top that way…but not enough for anyone but me to notice. If you play with other people, then tuning to standard pitch is important (or just pull out your capo), but as a solo act…well, who cares. Just another thing to consider.

Dave60

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
I love my 316GS not to big not to boomy for me. I replaced the Tusq saddle with a Colosi Hard Ivory and it really made a noticeable difference. A lot more definition and sustain. I'd like to get a Grand Orchestra next.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:34 AM »
 It's nice to have options. 8) I prefer light strings too, but put mediums back on both of my GS's. Lesson learned. Have fun deciding. :) 
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

pjroberts

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:31 AM »
). But, he still spoke positively about it. I think he's eyeing a new (larger) maple syrup evaporator, so maybe he feels that I should get something special too. Sure would be awesome to have in my stable.

Yeah I hear you -- Came down to either a nice maple 616 GS or a sweet maple syrup evaporator. GAS decisions today are not what they used to be.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 06:09:44 AM »
So many great comments here. Thanks guys. I appreciate it. The thing that baffles me, is how did you (Michael) know that the new evaporator pan that my husband was considering was a 2x6 raised flue? And from that seller! Your link is right on. Thanks for all the other links, those are beautiful. And yes, waiting to see what happens with the 600 series is a must. IF I do something, it won't  be until 2015.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:16:25 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
Sorry I'm a bit late in chiming in, but here are my thoughts:

First of all, it's obvious from my signature that I will come down on the side of the GA vs the GS. I have owned dreads, jumbos, GCs, GS, and of course, the GA. With my height and frame (5'6" - 145 lbs), the GA is the right fit for me.

CAUTION: I tried several GS Taylors in the store, and I liked quite a few of them. I even brought one of my guitar straps (I always stand when I play and sing) to test-drive a few of these. They felt quite comfortable, and I barely noticed the size difference. The proof in the pudding for me was taking one home and living with it for a while. The size, combined with the medium gauge strings, became fatiguing for me, and I wasn't having fun playing it. I switched to light gauge strings, but the guitar sounded anemic and still felt too large during my playing sessions. I gave it up for a GC7. I loved that guitar, but it couldn't ultimately stand up to some of my more aggressive strumming tunes, so I gave it up for - you guessed it- another GA!

I have a K24e on order with upgraded koa  (my seventh, and hopefully last GA) - I can't wait!

Just my $.02
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
Thanks SF. So many people weighed in on this and based on what people have said, I think I may be happier with the GA. Not that a GS isn't a good fit for others, probably not the best for me, all things considered. My husband brought it up again this morning. I think he really wants me to have a Taylor koa. He again expressed a love for the K2x. He said "I deserve it". Looks like it might be something I end up with. I will probably wait a while (next year), but it sure made an impression on me. I'm probably thinking a K24e. We'll have to see what 2015 brings.
Susie

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
My husband brought it up again this morning. I think he really wants me to have a Taylor koa. He again expressed a love for the K2x. He said "I deserve it". Looks like it might be something I end up with. I will probably wait a while (next year), but it sure made an impression on me. I'm probably thinking a K24e. We'll have to see what 2015 brings.

Or Christmas maybe, seems Santa has a real hankering for that maple evaporator!  8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Yes, he does, and I think "he deserves it" too.  ;D
Susie

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
I'm probably thinking a K24e. We'll have to see what 2015 brings.

I love mine so much. I swear mine's opening up on the low end already, but might be my imagination. Yeah, that's it, buy it in 2014, and then it'll open up in 2015, just in time haha!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
You are bad for someone else's pocket book.  ::)
Susie

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »

Just trying to "help"!    8)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »

Just trying to "help"!    8)

:) :D ;D :o
Susie

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 04:53:23 AM »
Excuse me for being English but what on earth is a a maple syrup evaporator?

For what it's worth I have an 816 and a 714 hung on my wall and which one do I always go for? Neither, it' s about 50/50

Craig

1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011