Author Topic: Feeling a bit disloyal  (Read 1988 times)

ds_holz

Feeling a bit disloyal
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
The Taylor is set up and back from the shop. While it was in there, I did a bunch of second-guessing buying it. Then I played it. That neck. That action. I'd swear my fingers smiled! I thought the Larrivee would be my last guitar and I still adore the sound. Too bad it is so hard on my hands. I think the more I play the Taylor the less I think about the guitar and the more I just get lost in the music. It gets out of my way. Does that make sense?

Deb
Larrivee OM-03 PA (Pete Anderson sig. model)
Larrivee O-01 Koa Parlor
Taylor 412e-R LTD 2016

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Feeling a bit disloyal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 03:01:59 AM »
Makes perfect sense to me. After all the brands I have owned  (including Larrivee), my Taylor's are the only ones that stay out of the way of my music making. Play it in good health!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:16:11 AM »
Makes sense to me. It's so comfy, you're not fighting it. The music becomes the focus.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »
FWIW, I had learned long ago that one's loyalty ought to be toward  the music. That which you choose to express it simply takes a back seat. Taylor or otherwise, you did well to go with the guitar that makes you and your fingers smile :)

Edward

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »
I know just what you mean. It just feels and sounds right. I enjoy playing other guitars, but there is something very unique and satisfying about playing a Taylor. Just my 2 cents.
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:57:53 PM »
The Taylor is set up and back from the shop. While it was in there, I did a bunch of second-guessing buying it. Then I played it. That neck. That action. I'd swear my fingers smiled! I thought the Larrivee would be my last guitar and I still adore the sound. Too bad it is so hard on my hands. I think the more I play the Taylor the less I think about the guitar and the more I just get lost in the music. It gets out of my way. Does that make sense?

Deb

I'm kinda surprised..  My Larrivee has a very similar feel to my 814ce.  They both have the same 1-3/4 nut width, and similar action and fretboard radius.
Aloha!

Joseph

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum..!
Yes, I would agree. I do the same thing with my GS Taylor. It is so complete for me that nothing gets in the way of playing and learning new songs. That is all I was looking for in a guitar when I finally found this one. I just enjoy playing it.. and focus more on learning new songs which are easier to play than my other guitars previous to this one. The cedar/rosewood keeps me spellbound too... after 4 years of ownership.
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
After buying and selling more guitars than I care to remember, I've learned that Taylor's Grand Auditoriums are the ones that float my boat. Some of you may recall my beseeching Taylor to produce more off the rack models with maple binding, and I feel that Andy Powers was listening to me when this became a standard feature on the 800 non-cutaway models. Andy, if you're listening, thanks....

ds_holz

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
This morning's worship set had a song best played with barre chords. In the past I would have figured out alternatives. Today I played as written. I still have some work to do on them since I haven't used them in such a long time. I was pleased that they are possible. :)

Very happy,
Deb
Larrivee OM-03 PA (Pete Anderson sig. model)
Larrivee O-01 Koa Parlor
Taylor 412e-R LTD 2016

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
After owning 9 businesses I know all about the disloyal feeling .Right now i'm hot  on a 8 string barritone Taylor  and tried one in Thunder Bay that was all dressed up and sure felt good .I need one like I need a cold ,maybe I want to be like a Keith Richards .Any way I play with a guy who owns a guitar building business and builds them from the stump up .He built one for a guy and I tried it but I just don't have the heart to tell it just not for me , for starters  neck is way too wide .So with this I most likely will not get one and save the embarrassment of him seeing I have one from some else cause he's a real decent guy .
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

BarbMaxey

• Sound... makes movement...
    • ReverbNation
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
Louis, maybe someone needs to tell this guitar maker that he should think about making some guitars with smaller necks...that you would like one but for you, need a smaller neck. Might help his business. No need to feel disloyal...
Barb Maxey
www.reverbnation.com/barbhamiltonmaxey
https://www.youtube.com/user/sixstringvibes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2021 Taylor GT811e
2013 Taylor 716ce
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2011 Taylor T5 X
2005 Taylor T5 S-1
1963 Guild M-65 freshman
2015 Epi 339 Pro
2009 Composite Acoustic Cargo