Author Topic: Prodigal Son  (Read 423 times)

tdavis

Prodigal Son
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
I need to go full-disclosure and say that, although I’ve had two Taylor guitars in the past...I never really bonded with their particular tonality, and have been pretty much a “Martin Guy” the last few years...having a Martin OM-28 & OO-18 as my two “children”. I was not interested in another Taylor...until today.

Today, I spent some time with the new Grand Pacific models, most especially the 717e Builders Edition. I am very impressed by the mahogany-backed 517e...but the volume & sustain of the 717e, coupled with the newly amplified bass & midrange response make me looking at it as perhaps my next guitar for sure.

Can I ask some of you who are already 717e owners...what strings are you using? Are you using lights or medium gauge?

Rev Roy

Re: Prodigal Son
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
I need to go full-disclosure and say that, although I’ve had two Taylor guitars in the past...I never really bonded with their particular tonality, and have been pretty much a “Martin Guy” the last few years...having a Martin OM-28 & OO-18 as my two “children”. I was not interested in another Taylor...until today.

Today, I spent some time with the new Grand Pacific models, most especially the 717e Builders Edition. I am very impressed by the mahogany-backed 517e...but the volume & sustain of the 717e, coupled with the newly amplified bass & midrange response make me looking at it as perhaps my next guitar for sure.

Can I ask some of you who are already 717e owners...what strings are you using? Are you using lights or medium gauge?

I was in the exact same boat. Cycled my way through five high-end Taylors, including, most recently, a 714ce V-Class. All superbly crafted and played like butter. But I could never make peace with the bright tone. I thought I’d never own another Taylor. Then some guitar buddies convinced me to try a Grand Pacific. Right away I heard some new warmth in the tone...but not enough to make me a believer. Then I took the Elixirs off and BOOM! Completely different guitar. Warmer, rounder, fatter tone. I’m loving Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings (a version of Bluegrass/medium-lights) on my 317. Gorgeous, balanced tone. Not a Martin or a Gibson but something sweet and uniquely its own. Thanks, Andy, for building a Taylor that finally hits my tonal sweet spot:)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:26:00 PM by Rev Roy »
Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D