Author Topic: Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE  (Read 954 times)

Guitarless

Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE
« on: December 12, 2023, 01:07:57 PM »
After wanting one since their introduction I am finally going to be purchasing a Taylor 517 BE without the electronics.

I have played many of these as well as the 717s in stores and found them all to be pretty consistently exceptional always favoring the slightly warmer and darker tone of the 517. I would buy local, but nobody carries any Taylors without ES around here.  Plus I could get one in a couple of days ordering from a dealer with some in stock.

In the forum's opinion, who is a good dealer that makes sure the instruments are well set up and packed securely and provides good customer service? 

Do any dealers offer unadvertised discounts?

SDTaylorman

Re: Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
....Getting out the popcorn...  ;)

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 06:53:03 PM »
I would contact Taylor CS and tell them what your looking for. Finding one without electronics, but they may have a handle on where they have shipped one, or maybe you can order one from them directly.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 10:57:03 AM »
Since the Taylor default is "with electronics" for virtually everything it would have to be a custom order to avoid the factory pickups.  I cannot recall the last time I saw a plain acoustic Taylor in a shop -- at least a dozen years ago.  And I'm not sure if they will even do that on a Builder's Edition, a limited production run with certain specifications.  Calling the mothership will answer all questions, as Toucan said.  Note that I said "call".  I know it is old fashioned but your question will be one of 1500 random emails that come in in a day.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

SDTaylorman

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 11:21:30 AM »

Guitarless

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 03:55:16 PM »
Thanks everybody.  Several shops have Builder's Edition 517  and 717s in stock with no electronics.  A local shop could order me one but it could take 3 months.   I was just wondering what if any shops people have had good luck ordering online from?  It's not a question of availability, but what shop to order from. 

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 07:52:34 PM »
I have mostly bought in person locally, from stock.  I bought my all-koa 424 LTD from Martin Music in TN.  They seem to be a repository of limited editions, and were fine to work with.  They were the only place in the US that still had one a year after they first came out.  Taylor sent me their contact info when I was seeking who might still have one in 2007. 

FWIW my favorite online shop is Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI, not far from where I grew up.  Three of the four Martin guitars that I have owned came from there, one from the custom shop.  Tall Toad in Petaluma, CA is also good, as is Gryphon in Palo Alto, CA.  I have bought in person from both of them, years ago.  Hopefully these are among the shops you have considered.  I only mentioned stores where I have bought from, not many others that I have read about.  GLWQ (good luck with your quest). 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 07:54:40 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
I can tell you that both Chicago Music Exchange and Dave's Guitars are both excellent with all aspects of the buying experience.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »
Elderly, Chicago music Exchange, LA Guitar sales all excellent. Sweet water has a great return policy and have been good to deal with.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Guitarless

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 12:25:40 PM »
Got one coming my way tomorrow.  I will post an NGD once it's all unpacked and I've had some time with it.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 06:05:35 PM »
Congrats. Glad you found one. If I  can ask, where did you get it from?

GP517

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 02:21:59 AM »
I picked up the 517 w/o electronics (Honeyburst finish) from Sweetwater a couple of years ago. My guitar sounded a little tight and quiet when I first got it, but my custom D28 was the same way when new. I kept playing my 517 regularly, and now it sounds wonderful! It's warm and clear with great dynamics, and plays very nicely! Yesterday I was playing it and came to the conclusion that my guitar has the warm thumpy bass of a good J-45 and the clear sweet trebles of a good Martin - and yet still uniquely Taylor. Mines' a keeper, and I hope you have many good years playing yours!

Guitarless

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 03:12:57 PM »
I picked up the 517 w/o electronics (Honeyburst finish) from Sweetwater a couple of years ago. My guitar sounded a little tight and quiet when I first got it, but my custom D28 was the same way when new. I kept playing my 517 regularly, and now it sounds wonderful! It's warm and clear with great dynamics, and plays very nicely! Yesterday I was playing it and came to the conclusion that my guitar has the warm thumpy bass of a good J-45 and the clear sweet trebles of a good Martin - and yet still uniquely Taylor. Mines' a keeper, and I hope you have many good years playing yours!

Thanks GP517

It arrived yesterday and I have been playing it a lot since it arrived.  It sounded tight when I opened up the box and opened the case for the first time.  A little flabby, but after I gave it a good once over to make sure I didn't need to send it back, I began playing vigorously for several hours.  To my surprise it woke up quite quickly and is sounding even better today!  Looking forward to see how it develops.  I agree about it splitting the difference between a J45 and a D28 in a good way.  One thing I have to say is that the GP Builders editions have the best neck on any mass market guitar.  I love that it is deeper than the typical Taylor or Martin.  It fits my hand perfectly.

The only negatives are the strap button location (why!?). That will be moved to the regular spot.  And the Elixir strings, while they sound ok they are slippery and I prefer Daddario XT/XS for tone and feel. 

May I ask what strings you prefer on your 517?  Also if you added a pickup what one did you get?

Keep enjoying your guitar!

GP517

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 02:21:49 AM »

Thanks GP517

It arrived yesterday and I have been playing it a lot since it arrived.  It sounded tight when I opened up the box and opened the case for the first time.  A little flabby, but after I gave it a good once over to make sure I didn't need to send it back, I began playing vigorously for several hours.  To my surprise it woke up quite quickly and is sounding even better today!  Looking forward to see how it develops.  I agree about it splitting the difference between a J45 and a D28 in a good way.  One thing I have to say is that the GP Builders editions have the best neck on any mass market guitar.  I love that it is deeper than the typical Taylor or Martin.  It fits my hand perfectly.

The only negatives are the strap button location (why!?). That will be moved to the regular spot.  And the Elixir strings, while they sound ok they are slippery and I prefer Daddario XT/XS for tone and feel. 

May I ask what strings you prefer on your 517?  Also if you added a pickup what one did you get?

Keep enjoying your guitar!

Hello Guitarless! Yes, the strap button....  kind of a pain :) (I read somewhere that the strap button on the heel is required because of the way Taylor attaches it's necks.)  I've tried quite a few different strings, and the 517 sounds good with all, but overall the three I like best are the John Pearse PB, Martin SP PB and currently DR Sunbeams PB, all in 13-56. Regarding the tightness of the new guitar, I attribute that more to the initial stiffness of the torrified spruce top than the bracing. But once that torrified top breaks in, boy does it sound good! Warm and loud! Regular vigorous strumming is now your friend (for at least a few months). Once your guitar starts to open up, I think you will find that it has great dynamics and a really, really nice voice. Enjoy your journey with a guitar that will encourage you to play more and become an even better player as the years go by!

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 11:25:09 AM »

Hello Guitarless! Yes, the strap button....  kind of a pain :) (I read somewhere that the strap button on the heel is required because of the way Taylor attaches it's necks.)  I've tried quite a few different strings, and the 517 sounds good with all, but overall the three I like best are the John Pearse PB, Martin SP PB and currently DR Sunbeams PB, all in 13-56. Regarding the tightness of the new guitar, I attribute that more to the initial stiffness of the torrified spruce top than the bracing. But once that torrified top breaks in, boy does it sound good! Warm and loud! Regular vigorous strumming is now your friend (for at least a few months). Once your guitar starts to open up, I think you will find that it has great dynamics and a really, really nice voice. Enjoy your journey with a guitar that will encourage you to play more and become an even better player as the years go by!

Hasn't Taylor been attaching its necks the same way for many years?  And yet the new location of the strap button appeared only recently.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 11:26:48 AM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke