Author Topic: How to maintain a koa guitar  (Read 664 times)

Elvis

How to maintain a koa guitar
« on: November 23, 2023, 09:07:31 AM »
Hi all

I recently bought a new 724ce koa which I love. Since the wood is somewhat porous, what is c the best way to clean and maintain the wood? Thanks!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: How to maintain a koa guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 11:48:02 AM »
Hi all

I recently bought a new 724ce koa which I love. Since the wood is somewhat porous, what is c the best way to clean and maintain the wood? Thanks!
Sorry, but I haven't a clue as to what you mean by "more" porous ...as opposed to other wood?

Bottom line, there is nothing different in caring for a guitar with species x over species y.  A digital hygrometer is your friend, and keeping the Relative Humidity in the high 30%s to the 40s is all you need to "do" for the health and stability of any acoustic guitar  As for cleaning it, a soft cloth is it.  Use a guitar polish if you like, but I don't care for the slipperiness of any guitar cleaner so I personally just use a microfibre and I'm done.

Edward

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 11:50:34 AM by Edward »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 03:25:06 PM »
To add to what Edward said, Taylor makes some really good guitar care products. I never overuse, but a nice touch up during string changes keeps my guitars looking great. Then again, it's personal preference.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/category/for-your-guitar/guitar-care
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 03:27:17 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

spirit4earth

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 06:46:49 PM »
Hi all

Sorry, but I haven't a clue as to what you mean by "more" porous ...as opposed to other wood?

Bottom line, there is nothing different in caring for a guitar with species x over species y.  A digital hygrometer is your friend, and keeping the Relative Humidity in the high 30%s to the 40s is all you need to "do" for the health and stability of any acoustic guitar  As for cleaning it, a soft cloth is it.  Use a guitar polish if you like, but I don't care for the slipperiness of any guitar cleaner so I personally just use a microfibre and I'm done.

Edward
Do you know of a reliable room hygrometer?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 08:13:14 PM »
You're not looking for raw "accuracy" really since all you really need to do is maintain and average RH anywhere from the mid 30s and under 50% (occasional dips/spikes notwithstanding).  So any of the mid-priced digital hygrometers are plenty good as spending more doesn't really get you anything. 

Edward