Author Topic: Lights on a dred...I approve!  (Read 306 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Lights on a dred...I approve!
« on: November 15, 2023, 12:49:45 AM »
I've only been playing my Custom DN for coming on 15 years now, and always had the medium PBs on it.  But since StringsAndBeyond just had that buy two get three Elixir sale, I rolled the dice on light gauge PBs ...this and I've recently developed a nerve issue with my left hand.  Man, aging really sucks!

Bottom line with the light gauge instead of the medium: marginal difference in tone, and I mean small, but considerable difference in playability!  I wholly approve!  I also do lots of bends and such so the lesser tension on my aging hand is much welcome.

Just thought I'd toss this out there as I've always been a big proponent of mediums on dreds.  But for the marginal volume/tone I give up, I gain in comfort!  I have no doubt I'd have never said that even a few years ago, but heck, things change and if I'm gonna keep playing, I better change with the times!  :D

Edward

Mandotim

• Old fogey based in Staffordshire, UK.
Re: Lights on a dred...I approve!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 10:00:33 AM »
I heartily agree. I’ve always played 13-56 on my guitars, irrespective of body size; occasionally custom 14-56 sets. About seven years ago I commissioned a very lightly built 000-28 style 12-fret from a local builder. I was intending to use my usual strings, but he suggested that the guitar would respond better to 12-53 gauge. ‘Ok’, I thought, ‘nothing lost by trying the idea’. I haven’t played 13-56 strings on anything ever since. The guitar really sings with the lighter strings, and that goes for a couple of Martin dreads and a 2002 Taylor 810. I’m really a mandolin player, so high string tension doesn’t bother me, but the gain in playability is enormous from the change. There is a change in tone, but no real drop in volume. I’d describe the tone change on the Martins as ‘de-muddying the bass’. Tone difference is less pronounced on the Taylor, as the bass was already pretty well defined on that one. I’ve gone a step further on my custom built guitar, and now use 11-52 sets; the guitar is naturally very loud for a small body, and the lighter strings play so easily.
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rob Armstrong Luthier built 000 size
Rob Armstrong doubleneck Guitar/Octave Mandolin
Rob Gibbs luthier built 000 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.
More mandolins and banjos than strictly necessary….

SDTaylorman

Re: Lights on a dred...I approve!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 10:47:56 AM »
I use the Elixir "custom lights" sets on most of my guitars.

Sets are as follows:

.011   .015   .022   .032   .042   .052

Not too heavy, not too light. Goldilocks zone...for me. YMMV.