Author Topic: Partial re-fret with Stainless steel fret wire ?  (Read 1472 times)

TontoZed

Partial re-fret with Stainless steel fret wire ?
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
Anyone done a partial re-fret (e.g. 0-5 frets) with Stainless steel fret wire on a Taylor acoustic ?

My cowboy chord frets have groves and will have to be replaced at some point.

I have SS wire on my electrics and I love the smooth feel.  I don't have SS on an acoustic gtr.

I would like to know if there an obvious big tone difference when you move from the new SS re-fret region further up the neck to the original fitted Nickel silver frets ?

thanks for any feedback

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
Re: Partial re-fret with Stainless steel fret wire ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
A recent thread on this topic -

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=9534

The site search facility also has other threads.  General consensus is "Go For It"
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

TontoZed

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 07:56:11 AM »
Marco Polo:  thank you for your reply.

I am completely convinced on SS wire for electrics - excellent feel for bending + vibrato.  No grooves / wear observable in frets after 5 - 10 years. 

I just wanted to check if a partial re-fret with SS instead of nickel was going to audible moving up and down the fretboard.

Seems like there is no concern on this, and I am good to go.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Let us know if you hear a sonic difference between the SS frets and the older ones? I have never seen a partial refret with SS, and it would be nice to know that it is fine. I have had SS on CF guitars and it works great, I wouldn’t hesitate to do a full refret with SS, not sure about a partial though, YMMV
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
If you’re going to do a partial refret with SS, be certain you spec SS and not Evo wire as that’s harder than nickel but softer than SS, had a gold hue to it, so will look different from your existing frets; it’s what the Taylor factory uses.

FWIW, I’d just get the frets leveled and crowned, then you’re good for another long while before you go full refret. It’s a money saver and worthwhile to get more life out of the original frets. 

Edward