Author Topic: Poly vs. Nano  (Read 978 times)

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
Poly vs. Nano
« on: November 28, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
For those who have tried both Elixers, Nanoweb and Polyweb, which did you find had a warmer, deeper tone.  I just cleaned and put new Elixer Nano Web’s on the new 214CE, and it lost it’s warmer, slightly deeper tone that it had in the store.  Thoughts...

Thanks, M
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Poly vs. Nano
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »
A new set of strings will sound brighter than the old strings that were on the guitar. Who knows how long those older strings were on the guitar - and how many pairs of hands had played them before you bought it? I  would guess that the new strings will settle down after a few days of play. I personally don't like the poly's. They sound dead to me as compared with the nano's....just my opinion.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
I agree with SF, give the nano's a chance. They are at their brightest immediately after changing. I also bet the other strings were played a bunch. They were probably nano's too (stock strings from the factory). I've tried the poly's and didn't care for them. Not enough life to them in my opinion.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
The poly coated is definitely, discernably, a "warmer" sounding set over the nano web sets IME.  I've A-B compared on two different Taylors in the past (of which I was trying to "push" the tone this way and that), and easily hear the difference.  The thicker-coated polyweb absolutely attenuates the highs.  While the strings are still fresh, go back to the polyweb set and you'll hear it for yourself :)

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
I recently put on new strings on my 514ce FLTD, had Elixer nonos on it, and they were just sounding a bit dead.  I had some Poloywebs in my box of strings and put them on and quite honestly there was very little difference between the old nonos and the new polywebs.  So I am not a big fan of the polywebs.  The nonos just have a nice fresh tone.  I also think black olives are better than green olives, so now you know where I am coming from.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.