Author Topic: Hello! Second time Taylor owner  (Read 718 times)

beefyburt

Hello! Second time Taylor owner
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »
Hi everyone. Two years ago I bought a 114ce and loved playing it acoustically but couldn't get a nice sound when plugged in, so kept for about 6 months then sold on.
Then a month ago I had the chance to buy another 114ce at a great price, including the Taylor hard case, so I bought it and the sound is just as I remember - great unplugged, terrible plugged in. I just cant get a nice sound through an amp. Its a 2009 model btw.
Apart from the electric sound, the other issue I have is that it has been polished and polished and polished and so now has a thick sticky coating over the sides and back and neck. Ive taken some fine wire wool to the back of the neck, and that feels so much better already, but not sure how to clean the back and sides?
Plus, the top has some shiny areas, some rough with no finish, some small dents, all very uneven and mismatched. Now I know lots of you will says its got character, that its how its meant to be blah blah blah, but some of us like our guitars to be nice and tidy and neat and clean, so accept and help please. How do I get this to be an even finish? Wire wool the whole top?
Finally, just to say, I do love this guitar, its such a sweet sounding thing, and feels just right.
Thanks.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello! Second time Taylor owner
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
Hi Beefyburt, welcome to the forum.  I hope you get some good refinishing answers for the 114ce you just acquired.  I really don't have a good answer for you, the damaged areas of the wood will be very difficult to refinish. 
Satin finish is used on it out of the factory(now varnish) and could be brought back most likely.  You will just need to use a lot of elbow grease to bring back an even satin finish. 
I am thinking the only way to have a "nice and tidy and neat and clean" guitar is to start with a new model or a well cared for used one.
I started my Taylor collection with a 110 and loved it so very much, I have bought many more Taylor models since then.
I am also sure many others may give good advise on refinishing yours. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.