Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees  (Read 930 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees
« on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
The nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame have been announced:

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy

I highlighted the ones I think should be inducted.

In my opinion, Rufus/Chaka Khan, Notorious B.I.G and Whitney Houston, shouldn't even be considered, simply because they're not "rock & roll".

What say you?
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
If you were to consider all past inductees, you would find many names whose music might not be considered as pure rock and roll either. I think that the people you would omit are all very talented and accomplished, and they should be inducted into some music hall of fame.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
... In my opinion, Rufus/Chaka Khan, Notorious B.I.G and Whitney Houston, shouldn't even be considered, simply because they're not "rock & roll".

What say you?

I tend to agree.  If these acts warrant the same kind of recognition, they should open a suitable hall of fame for the genre in question.

If you were to consider all past inductees, you would find many names whose music might not be considered as pure rock and roll either. I think that the people you would omit are all very talented and accomplished, and they should be inducted into some music hall of fame.

These particular acts aside for the moment, the R&R Hall of Fame has inducted some questionable members, in my opinion:  not-so-notable backing bands, flash-in-the-pan disco acts, and one-hit-wonders just to highlight a few of the inductees that make you go "hmmm..."
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Markob

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »
My vote(s) goes to T. Rex, Thin Lizzy and the Doobies
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:48:38 PM »

I won't disagree with any of that.

Many of those already inducted aren't rock musicians and, while it may well be appropriate to enshrine them somewhere, that place shouldn't be the R&R HOF...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
My vote(s) goes to T. Rex, Thin Lizzy and the Doobies

And the other two?

Inductees go in groups of five...

Markob

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
Oops..Benatar and D. Mode. The latter not my cup a tea but influential non the less.

HM to Rufus/Chaka Khan. I saw them at Winterland in the mid 70's and the indeed "rocked"

*I'm surprised Todd is not in already.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:05:41 PM by Markob »
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:39:24 PM »
I agree with the OPs list, however I think T-Rex would deserve it as well. 
We have discussed the R&R hall of fame as a business in the past.  It is that element that drives the induction process more than anything in my opinion.  If you look at some of the past inductees and then you think about musicians like Todd Rundgren and the Doobies not being inducted already, well that to me shows that they just need to keep it rocking and rolling to maintain relevance, and cash flow far into the future.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
I don't take the Rock and Roll Hall very seriously, mostly because they don't. See what MGap wrote. Half the inductees should be put out to pasture as poseurs.

That said, the only two 'rockers' I see on that list are Pat Benatar and the Doobie Brothers, hopefully without Michael McDonald. Who cares who else they induct into Faux Hall.

Might have this wrong, but a posthumous induction for the J. Geils Band would be just the ticket. (I don't think they made it in yet. I could be wrong, but I think they were nominated and didn't make sometime in the last couple of years.)

Are the Carpenters in yet?  ::)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo