Author Topic: Kinda' Sad...  (Read 2734 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Kinda' Sad...
« on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »
I went out of town last Thursday, and I came back to see that the only thread in this area to get any action is the music association thread.

Doesn't anyone have anything going on that's not guitar or music related?

Me, well, me and my lady went to New York City for a long weekend. We stayed not far from Times Square, played tourist, ate way too much, drank way too much (but discovered some great cocktails) and, all in all, had an amazing time. Photos will follow.

Anyone else doing anything fun?

The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Kinda' Sad...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Sadly, no.  While looking for gainful employment, I've been dealing with repairs and clean-up at my deceased uncle's house for the past three months; among the many activities I performed were digging up and repairing the collapsed sewer lines underneath the house; and eliminating (hopefully) a mold/mildew contamination in the downstairs closets...  And at the moment, I'm trying to get the house closed out to return to Texas on Saturday...  About the only break from it all I've had were the ELO concert in Pittsburgh and a few days at the end of August for Corvettes at Carlisle...

And I've barely had time to pick up a guitar, myself...  :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:57:38 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Markob

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
Well I can't ad much to the party. Don't drink..haha! I am refinishing a mid-century Teak veneer and Mahogany file/shallow drawer cabinet. Nothing special and needs some TLC but will be used for music charts, vacuum tubes and the like and reside in my music room. Pics will follow if anyone's interested.
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »
Some items I've been up to...

Been attending 'Fright Fest' at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ last couple Saturdays with my daughter (and probably will next week as well).  We love thrill rides!

Discovered a love of absinthe while in Paris this past summer and have been indoctrinating my friends (tomorrow evening's plan as well  8) )

Harvested the last of my Ghost Peppers before the frost comes to PA

...and guitar related...ordered a new suede Taylor strap for my (yet unnamed) 254ce and new GHS 80/20 strings for Cylde.  I will also be changing the strings on Bonnie.  i am procrastinating  ;)
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
Me, well, me and my lady went to New York City for a long weekend. We stayed not far from Times Square, played tourist, ate way too much, drank way too much (but discovered some great cocktails) and, all in all, had an amazing time. Photos will follow.

Some photos from last weekend:

Times Square, as seen from the Marriot Marquis in Times Square:

Washington Square Park:

Looking towards lower Manhattan from Top Of The Rock:

Midtown hustle:

Prometheus in Rockefeller Center:

The Oculus:

The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »
Really nice pictures, Shutterbug!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

madx2

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »
Well I can't ad much to the party. Don't drink..haha! I am refinishing a mid-century Teak veneer and Mahogany file/shallow drawer cabinet. Nothing special and needs some TLC but will be used for music charts, vacuum tubes and the like and reside in my music room. Pics will follow if anyone's interested.

I would like to see them, please.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
Spent last weekend with 150 acoustic musicians at a "Getaway" which included concerts, workshops, and lots of jamming.  My Taylor custom GC with sinker top drew lots of attention both esthetically and tonally from some of the best musicians on site.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Really nice pictures, Shutterbug!

Thanks!

I was using my new Fujifilm X100F. It's kind of a throwback to the old rangerfiner cameras. The lens is fixed at 23mm, so you can't zoom in and out (except with your feet!). For me, it drives creativity in a way I haven't had to deal with in a long, long time. This is the camera:

Certainly, I could've taken one of my DSLR's (I've got five of them), but bought this to light a fire under my butt because I'd been in a creative funk lately. Also, this is a lot smaller than a DSLR and assorted lenses and, besides, I've taken a DSLR to New York before.

Here are a couple more from New York:

This is what a $22 Martini looks like:

Statue of Liberty:

Subway entrance at Bryant Park:

Times Square:

Yeah, baby:

Neon:

I forget what these were called, but they were dangerously tasty:

Markob

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
Beautiful shots Shutterbug. Would like to visit NY someday.
" if I'm lost it's only for a little while "

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
Beautiful shots Shutterbug. Would like to visit NY someday.

Thanks!

I grew up on Long Island and used to go to the city all the time. My girlfriend had never been there before, so it was a blast to take her and watch her reactions!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »

Thanks!

I grew up on Long Island and used to go to the city all the time. My girlfriend had never been there before, so it was a blast to take her and watch her reactions!

I also grew up on Long Island, and your fine pics definitely were nostalgic for me. Now I live in beautiful Northern AZ in a land of coyotes, roadrunners, quail, owls, javelinas, not to mention snakes, lizards, tarantulas, scorpions, and a whole host of varieties of cactus! The mountains are stunning and the sky is big indeed! On our morning bike rides we see 5-8 hot air balloons just about every day, God has blessed us with a good family church, where I play and sing every Sunday. Life in abundance!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »
I also grew up on Long Island, and your fine pics definitely were nostalgic for me.

What part?

I grew up in Hauppauge out in Suffolk County...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 09:47:37 PM »
I also grew up on Long Island, and your fine pics definitely were nostalgic for me.

What part?

Massapequa Park in Nassau County
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »

What part?

Massapequa Park in Nassau County

My ex-wife had family there. They were mob-connected. When her uncle died the FBI showed up to the wake.

True story...