Author Topic: 614ce & Strats  (Read 4019 times)

rudals1281

614ce & Strats
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
Yesterday, I was having a practice session with my band and couldn't help but notice how similar my 614ce sounded like a strat. I was listening to our electric guitarist as he was playing and at certain points it was indistinguishable. Maybe he needs to play with his pedals and other settings to get his own sound. Anyone else have similar experience?
2008 Taylor 614CE

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 614ce & Strats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
When I saw your thread title, I thought you were alluding to the neck/action.  But yeah, I kinda see your point (as a long-time and still current strat diehard!!).  There is snap and attack to the notes of Taylor's maple guits; akin to that certain punchiness and clarity that defines a strat vs its Lester or otherwise shorter-scale or humbucking counterparts.

But one of the very things that drew me to Taylors (and to Ovations very long ago) was that their necks and action always felt low, fast, and silky (yes, Ovation necks and action are stellar) ...and unequivocally more strat-like than, say, any Lester, ES, or other electric.  Which as a side note is one of the very reasons I never did get along with Martins (friends have overlooked that failing of me ;) ). 

Fast forward to recently where I had picked up a Custom DN which was "BTO'd" by the factory, not me ...I was drawn by looks, but hooked by play and tone.  Only after I got home with it did I realize exactly why I was so enamored with its play:  I looked at the spec sheet and it said "slim carve T5 neck and 11/16ths nut."  Ahhh, no wonder I felt at home with it as soon as I picked it up.  Never did it dawn on me when I was testing her out that it would be be a narrower nut or slimmer carve; never did it dawn on me that I'd ever even want a narrower nut or slim carve on any of my Taylors.  After all, it's a Taylor; it's supposed to feel like all the other Taylors.  Hahaha, funny how preconceptions die hard when confronted with reality :D

Sorry to de-rail your initial point.  But my brain saw "Strat" and "Taylor" in your subject line and my thoughts went straight to how pleasantly surprised I was with my DN.  Anyone here who loves their Strats or Teles would do well to audition a narrower nut and slim carve.  Kind of like coming home.  I still dig the "normal" Taylor necks on my others, mind you.  But man these slim ones just feel like rawk!  ;)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:32:13 PM by Edward »

andyi5

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Can't comment on the 6 series specifically, but as a long term Strat player I'm sure there's a reason I was drawn to Taylor acoustics. To be honest, I really wanted to love Martins but I've never been in a guitar store where I didn't find a Taylor that I preferred the sound and playability of.

Funny, back in the early 90's my bandmate had a Les Paul and I had a Strat (and a back up Tele), I remember at one time envying him until I played his guitar and found I really didn't get on with the neck at all. More recently a friend loaned me a '60's Gibson ES335 and I found the same. The Fender's are just so playable and versatile sounding, and so are Taylors.

Satsuki

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
The Taylor necks are the first thing that drew me to their guitars.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
i personally haven't noticed a similar 'alignment' in tone, as this 614ce has the 1st gen
LR Baggs Element active in it (V with no TC) ... but i did stay at a holiday inn express once ;)

i used to have a hwy 1 strat with maple board & i liked everything about it, for what
little electric i played at the time - great neck, scale, profile, body feel & 'clean' tones 8)

the Element in the 6 was fine going straight in (1/4" TRS to XLR), but i have a PreSonus EQ3B for 'tweaks'

the strat & the amp (yes, it was a Blues Jr ;) ) are no longer here, as a Peavey ValveKing 112 & a
G400 faded took their place & i need to put the 496R & 500T i have in it ... i need to get this too :D
https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/store/prewired-guitar-electronics-harnesses/prewired-sga-wiring-harness/prod_10.html

if your Strat playing buddy sounds too much like your 614ce, click the body sensors off,
put in a feedback buster, plug into his amp, then crank the bass & volume up on the ES ...
that ought to get his attention ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Dang Michael,
Do you own anything that is not blue?!!!
lol  :D :D :D

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:24:27 AM »
Dang Michael,
Do you own anything that is not blue?!!!
lol  :D :D :D

Edward
actually, there's a few of them that aren't (yet) ;)

however, once i flip the light on ... just a sec :-\

it doesn't quite look the same ??? ;)

:)  :D  ;D    8) no ... well, maybe not-so-much (i thought it was kinda neat :-[ )

when i get a chance, i'll post a few pics of my dog, Fred (yellow lab mix) -
in the later part of the afternoon, if he's standing relatively close the lawn &
reflection of light is just right, some of the white parts of his coat will turn blue &
if he standing in his own shadow, his paws look like they've been dipped in ink ...
no lie - i have a county sheriff's officer to vouch for me (i was sober & he's seen it too :o )

support indie musicians

rudals1281

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
Dear Mr. Blue,
Are you hijacking my thread? My thread bleeds the color blue thanks to you. Lol
Anyhow, my OP was speaking to the similarity in tone, especially in the trwbles. He was playing it clean and it sounded very alike. Also, as one replier has mentioned, there definitely is a similarity in the nexk profile. Both offer necks that make it easy to go up and down the neck. Maybe thats why i never liked Martin and maybe thats why i never got that Gibson Les Paul. Strats are so comfortable to play with.
2008 Taylor 614CE

DMBfan41

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »
I don't own a 6xx series but rather a RW 414.  I do however own a strat w/ vintage alnico pickups.  I must say that nothing quite sounds like a strat.  Sound is subjective though.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Dear Mr. Blue,
Are you hijacking my thread? My thread bleeds the color blue thanks to you. Lol
Anyhow, my OP was speaking to the similarity in tone, especially in the trwbles. He was playing it clean and it sounded very alike. Also, as one replier has mentioned, there definitely is a similarity in the nexk profile. Both offer necks that make it easy to go up and down the neck. Maybe thats why i never liked Martin and maybe thats why i never got that Gibson Les Paul. Strats are so comfortable to play with.
uh-oh :-\
i seem to recall another thread where this (i) happened also :-[
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=8.msg435#msg435

i am guilty as charged ...
i'm sorry :(

i promise to keep my 'blues' in check from now on -
it's just i found the thread interesting & i couldn't figure out how a Strat might sound like this ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBD2cgMZs1g

i can relate to how a LP could be not quite as comfortable to play, as a buddy bought an epi with a quilted maple top
(please don't ask what color finish it had) - i ended up playing it more than he did, but i just could not get used to the
'feel', however the epi SG i have feels 'right', in terms of the body contour, neck profile & scale length, even moreso than
the Strat did.  i have had martins too (2 J-15s, D16GT & a MMV) & the one that stayed is a 98 SWD, which, to me, is just :o

well, alrighty ... have a good evening :)

support indie musicians

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
I have a Strat – I ought to go compare necks this weekend.

As a multi-brand fan, though, I have to put in a good word for Martin necks. They tend to be less comfortable off the wall but once they are set up, they equal the comfort of a Taylor neck. At least for me! Nice and low, and slippery enough. And I actually prefer the "mod V" neck of my 000-28 EC.

That said, Taylor's reputation as an easy to play instrument is well deserved. But if you find a Martin or other guitar that seems hard to play, it's worth checking out what it needs for a setup.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.