Author Topic: If you won the lottery...  (Read 4386 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
If you won the lottery...
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »
So, let's say you won the MegaSuperGigaMoolah and you've already paid off the house, credit, kids college, long lost cousins' crazy investments, and you've got GAS...
What guitar(s) are on your list in such a scenario?
Could be new, boutique, vintage, whatever.  Go nuts!
 :D
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: If you won the lottery...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Okay, I'll start. 
Right now, I'd probably get a Froggy Bottoms or a Somogyi, you know, just for knocking around the campfire  ;) and then for sure a gold-dipped zagerized-Esteban for performance work.   :P

No, not really, but I do think I'd get the other two Gallery Series guitars from 2000 (the GSST and the GSGW), and definitely a 12-fret or two.  I think it'd be great to keep one in standard tuning and leave the other in drop-D or something. 

:D
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
All of them! ;D  I would probably do alot of custom builds through various builders.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
I'd move to Paris and hunt out a French luthier to try out.

I'd also get a Taylor 12-fret model, not sure which – I'd want to try them all out! And maybe a 355.

I'd also get a D-18A, a rosewood McKnight, and a Sexuaer 0 or 00 size guitar.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

madx2

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
I have no desire,  money or talent to justify buying a high end guitar but I will tell you about the best sounding one I have ever heard.

While at a music store with a friend who plays much better than I do, he was going through their R Taylors, high end Martin's, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall stock.  All nice sounding guitars, of course.

I saw on the store's website the day before a guitar they described as the "best sounding guitar in the store".  It wasn't on the wall so I asked about it.  Money had been put down so they had it in it's case on the floor.  They let my friend play it for about 2 minutes and with the first pluck of a string it was obvious this was a remarkable sounding guitar.  It filled the room with a sweet, powerful sound that blew all the others out of the water.  I don't remember the wood combinations so don't ask.

I have absolutely nothing to do with this man or the store we were at.  The question was raised so this is my "dream" guitar.  Here is the link to his site.

http://reinguitars.com/

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
If I had to specify, I would do a custom Ryan Braz/German Spruce.  I would also give Tim McKnight a call for a custom Dread, a Kostal, a Sexuaer and a Somogyi.  Oh, also a Lakewood, and a Stehr, all custom of course.  Then I would get with Bob, and see if I could dip into some of their private reserve stuff that they have stashed away.  But, I wouldn't go overboard ;D
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

cotten

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
If I won the lottery, I would suspect someone was trying to scam me, since I have yet to buy my first lottery ticket. I'm good at math.   ;)

Actually though, I HAVE won thousands of dollars from the Georgia Lottery, without ever buying a ticket. Our son went to college on the Hope Scholarship, and did quite well. He's good at math, too. We appreciate those who aren't.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
He's good at math, too. We appreciate those who aren't.
;D
Ha! perfect. I also have never bought a lottery ticket, for exactly the same reason.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Picken Pappy

• “Kick'n back and pick’n on the front porch swing.”
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
I'd probably get a Froggy Bottoms

I had a Froggy Bottom once...but after a few months, Doc was able to clear it right up!  ::)  :P

I know... I know... I'm just not right. ;D

IF some how I came into a good sum of money I would have something completely custom made. Why buy off the rack when you can have a one of a kind?  8)
"A ding in your guitar is like a hicky on your honey. Nothing to get upset about unless you’re NOT the one who put it there!"  >:(     Pappy

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
Hard to say, but I think I'd acquire stuff as the mood hit me rather than make a quick lunge for the most expensive stuff out there....

Bill Evans

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
I have no desire,  money or talent to justify buying a high end guitar but I will tell you about the best sounding one I have ever heard.

I have absolutely nothing to do with this man or the store we were at.  The question was raised so this is my "dream" guitar.  Here is the link to his site.

http://reinguitars.com/
I'd go with madx2 here. I wouldn't be thinking about myself if money really was unlimited. I'd be seeking out a really good and talented small-time independent luthier and partner with them to get their guitars noticed around the world.   Bill
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
If I won the lottery, I'd buy a '62 Strat (same vintage as me).

Then I would have the most kickin' photo studio you could imagine...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

dcarey

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »
Pay all my bills, open a restaurant, work twice as hard as I do now, and love every minute of it!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Well, first of all I'd need a new beater - that would be an all solid Koa BTO with armrest, gold tuners, abalone inlays, etc, etc, etc.  Since that's the one I would leave in the RV at the campfire I'd need another all solid master grade koa 12 string to leave lying around the house for when the moment struck me.

Then I'd move on to the ukuleles.  I found a custom builder and I'd have him do one of each size all solid master grade koa wood.

Then......buy several vacation houses around the world and relax........

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »
I'd have to wait and see what kind of mood I was in when I got the $$$.  It would be something I could take on my yacht...

8)
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin