Author Topic: Keeping track of string changes  (Read 1355 times)

floyd80

Keeping track of string changes
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
I find it helpful to write on the empty string package of what guitar and when the change was made. Helps me keep track!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Keeping track of string changes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
Great idea, whatever works best for you!

I have 7 guitars, 4 dulcimers and 2 ukes that I have to keep track of. So, I have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of all string changes (what strings, where I purchased them, date of change) and notes of anything else I've done with the instruments and the dates. I have another spreadsheet where I have all the purchase information on my instruments and my husband's bass guitars.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
I do it like floyd80.  I just date the package then put it in the storage compartment of the guitar case. This makes it easy for me to look at the string package when I am thinking about it and is close at hand.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
I rip the flap off the string package showing the type and gauge, mark the date changed, and put in that that guitar's case.  Easy peasy.  For the guitars that hang on the wall almost all the time, I have one designated shelf in the living room where those package flaps get placed.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
I find it helpful to write on the empty string package of what guitar and when the change was made. Helps me keep track!

I used to do that then I just started using the same piece of cardboard to write down all the changes with a particular guitar. Now it has a couple of years' worth of info and I can tell how long they lasted, etc. If I try a different brand I'll note that and note if I liked them or not. I keep the little cards in my string/tool box.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

JTC111

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »
I've heard of people doing this but I don't understand how a piece of paper tells you your strings need replacing before your ears do.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »
It's more about keeping a record of what you did and when you did it. That could help you to track changes and results (good or bad) across multiple guitars to make informed decisions going forward. For example, my spreadsheet details the guitars' build year (age), tonewoods, bracing, etc., and tracks the string change date, the type of strings used, the pickup battery change date, truss rod adjustment date, or other relevant maintenance events. I personally find it quite helpful in keeping track of my seven guitars.

While my ears can tell the difference between old strings and new, the gradual sound degradation, especially with coated strings can be more difficult to discern. That's where a maintenance record can be helpful. In several instances, I've changed strings and noted a stark improvement, even though the old strings sounded pretty good to me before the change.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

JTC111

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
That sounds like a part time job.  :D

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
I suppose if worked on all seven guitars at the same time, it might be a TEMPORARY part time job, but with seven guitars in constant rotation, combined with the string-life of the Elixirs, I'd be surprised if I spent more than 15 minutes per month on the spreadsheet. It's not rocket science....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood