Author Topic: How about this proposal for a BTO?  (Read 6595 times)

sachi

• Veteran Member
How about this proposal for a BTO?
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
Over at the AGF I got into a conversation that led me to think about how a purposely plain Taylor would look. Think of a Martin 15 or 18 series, but with no pickguard. I'd get a mahogany back and sides with spruce top, probably a short scale GA size, and with tortoise binding. Plain rosette of some sort. Thin tortoise backstrip.  Maybe break it up with somewhat decorative small squares for position dots on the neck.

Does this sound appealing to anyone else?
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

sachi

• Veteran Member
Re: How about this proposal for a BTO?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
No one is interested in a plain Taylor????????
 ;)
Sachi

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Sounds nice to me! I'd do the 300/400 rosette with tortoise pickguard and small dot inlays if it were me. I'd probably end up throwing a sunburst on there too as I'm a sucker for bursts.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:50:05 PM »
As an aside, my 210 might just be the the most plain production model they've ever offered (and, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck as well). Matte varnish finish, black fiber binding with no purfling, 300/400 white/black fiber rosette, chrome tuners, solid spruce top, solid sapele back/sides, basic dot inlays, no fretboard or headstock binding, non-pearly logo inlay.

Have a look here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=3.135
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
Good ideas! Yes, the 210 is a good example. And I really like sapele too.
Sachi

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
No one is interested in a plain Taylor????????
 ;)
sure, there are :)
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=863.msg6620#msg6620
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=932.0
personally, i prefer the term 'elegantly understated' ;) & if i were looking for my
next Taylor, for the absolutely maximum 'bang for the buck', i would go with a
modify-a-model 316ce, no e, no pickguard, gold tuners & ab dot bridge pins

here a couple of DNs i had there were quite reserved in their appearance

a friend owns this 83 510K now & he's added a pickguard to it since this was taken

the 414K is still here - the pickguard stays on this one (tan-line)

if i were to look into the realm of a BTO, there would be a bit of 'flash' somewhere,
as the entry fee to play is right above the 400ce level & there are so many options
that have minimal upcharges that i would i'd consider, both for tone & aesthetics -
still, more of the Taylors that reside with me have appointments similar to the 414K,
which suits me just fine because they also have the tonal qualities that i'm partial to

i agree with ataylor in terms of the most 'deornamentated' appointments, the original 200 series
was quite reserved, as was the original 400 series in 91 thru 97 & the 300s added a gloss top in 98

it would be interesting if an all-satin 200 series was made as a LTD, with solid top/solid back (eirw),
delete the body binding, a GS Mini-esque rosette & purfling line (would be nice) & a 1 3/4" width nut :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
Nice pics, Michael!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the unadorned look. :)
Sachi

bigb

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
sorry, no. If it don't have bling, it won't sing.
j/k, sounds great.

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
As an aside, my 210 might just be the the most plain production model they've ever offered (and, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck as well). Matte varnish finish, black fiber binding with no purfling, 300/400 white/black fiber rosette, chrome tuners, solid spruce top, solid sapele back/sides, basic dot inlays, no fretboard or headstock binding, non-pearly logo inlay.

Have a look here: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=3.135

I thought the 200 series were laminate back and sides, or am I reading it wrong?  Is this a suggestion for a BTO?
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »
I thought the 200 series were laminate back and sides?
They are now. In the early days (not sure which years) the 200s were solid sapele.
Sachi

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
They are now. In the early days (not sure which years) the 200s were solid sapele.

From 2003-6, IIRC.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

e8n

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
I think it sounds cool but I'm not sure it would be worth the BTO upcharges to see it.  It would still sound amazing which i guess is the point after all.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
looking thru my computer hard drive & found a pic of a BTO that was
made for a forum member in the past (the guitar has changed owners) -
3 ring rosette, small MOP fretmarkers, white binding, plain ebony pins,
rosewood back & sides - very 'clean' & almost D28-ish in appointments ...

the adirondack top on it was just amazing-looking, imho :o - i'll bet it sounded great 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
Simple elegance is always welcome, IMHO.  And of course, it's gotta all be about the tone, regardless of its appointments, or lack thereof.

Side note story: one of the recurring criticisms (of regular joes on various boards/conversations) I've witnessed over the years about R.Taylor is how for that price, you can easily get a Taylor BTO and spec it how you like.  True.  But I think this misses the point entirely of what RT is trying to do at its core: build an exceptional sounding guitar.  Yes, they seem to take pride in their wood selections and variety of "custom" options, but their "basic" models would make zero headlines in the bling department.  Look at all the base-line RTs: they are very plain looking, with the rosette being the only default adornment (and even that can be nixed).  How ironic (to me, anyhow), that for those who criticized RT that this upscale marque really is not about the visual appointments but the build, which creates its voice; it's "upscale" voice, as it were. 

Why do I bring this up?  Because the so-called "plain look" has always been there with Taylor because it appeals to lots of folks.  The 3s and 4series are largely unadorned, and are huge sellers.  And if one wanted to BTO a "higher end" Taylor but retain the plain look, then that's easy, too.  But then there's RT whose "plain look" is their very foundation ...no BTO, no pickguard, no fret markers, no bling, no gilding the lily (unless ya want to ;) ); just superlative build practices yielding great tone (IMHO, of course).  So there's my long answer.  A "purposely plain" Taylor?  ...yeah, I think there's already a lot of interest :D

Edward

e8n

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
Simple elegance is always welcome, IMHO.  And of course, it's gotta all be about the tone, regardless of its appointments, or lack thereof.

Side note story: one of the recurring criticisms (of regular joes on various boards/conversations) I've witnessed over the years about R.Taylor is how for that price, you can easily get a Taylor BTO and spec it how you like.  True.  But I think this misses the point entirely of what RT is trying to do at its core: build an exceptional sounding guitar.  Yes, they seem to take pride in their wood selections and variety of "custom" options, but their "basic" models would make zero headlines in the bling department.  Look at all the base-line RTs: they are very plain looking, with the rosette being the only default adornment (and even that can be nixed).  How ironic (to me, anyhow), that for those who criticized RT that this upscale marque really is not about the visual appointments but the build, which creates its voice; it's "upscale" voice, as it were. 

Why do I bring this up?  Because the so-called "plain look" has always been there with Taylor because it appeals to lots of folks.  The 3s and 4series are largely unadorned, and are huge sellers.  And if one wanted to BTO a "higher end" Taylor but retain the plain look, then that's easy, too.  But then there's RT whose "plain look" is their very foundation ...no BTO, no pickguard, no fret markers, no bling, no gilding the lily (unless ya want to ;) ); just superlative build practices yielding great tone (IMHO, of course).  So there's my long answer.  A "purposely plain" Taylor?  ...yeah, I think there's already a lot of interest :D

Edward

And part of the reason that RTaylor seems to be struggling is the perception that you mention above.   As good as Taylor is at marketing, RTaylor is bad.  They make great guitars but thus far (and it may be the death of them) they haven't differentiated themselves from their Taylor family members particularly once the BTO programs got started.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce